New Zeland

Chew the fat on any non-RC subject. It's a free-for-all but common rules of decency do apply so act like adults and don't embarrass yourself by trolling or cuss'n.

New Zeland

Postby jeffie8696 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:27 am

How is life in New Zeland, I am getting sick of this place. :(
jeffie8696

Re: New Zeland

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:09 am

It's not so bad... but, just like other countries, we do have politicians - but no snakes.

Where are you?
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby jeffie8696 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:53 am

I hate politics, but my mother was the mayor and my wife is a part time Russian diplomat. :shock: I am so confused. :lol:

My issue is with the federal government in this country , they approved my sisters disability but not mine despite having the same problem, in fact mine is worse. :x
I am unable to work and there is nothing I can do about it. Luckily my health care is provided by the Veterans Administration or I would be dead now.
I live in Iowa, USA , I wish I was back in California.
jeffie8696

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:22 am

Don't get too excited about New Zealand...

We have a compulsory accident insurance scheme here in NZ called the ACC (Accident Compensation Commission) into which my wife was paying her weekly premiums for medical and income insurance in the event of accidental injury.

She fell at work and broke both her arms -- that was covered.

But, while being operated on, she suffered a collapsed lung and during the period shortly after the operation she had a lack of oxygen to the brain (another accident) that caused permanent neurological damage but they are refusing to cover that. This has left us with quite large medical costs and she is unable to return to work so now I have to work twice as long/hard to pay the bills.

All the doctors we've consulted agree that her brain injury was as a result of a medical accident (failure to monitor oxygen levels during her post-operative care) but we find ourselves stuck between cracks in the system.

One of the trade-offs for a compulsory universal accident coverage system (ACC) is that NZers have lost the right to sue the negligent party in the case of an accident -- the idea being that the insurance would cover all the medical costs and loss of income. However, the NZ government has recently said that ACC costs are too high so they've instructed the insurers to try and reduce claims -- so they're denying a huge number of claims in the knowledge that many people don't have the money to lodge an appeal against that decision.

Don't let anyone fool you into thinking that NZ is a land of milk and honey.

At one time we had free public health and free education -- not any more. Our public hospitals are often forced to have patients lined up in the corridors on gurneys for lack of beds and when my wife had her accident -- it took over 40 minutes for an ambulance to arrive -- despite the fact that the ambulance center is just 5 minutes from the school where she works.

There are some lovely places in NZ and generally speaking the people are great -- but it's just like most other countries once you cut through the tourist-brochure rubbish. We have our fair share of problems.

If you're looking to move somewhere, Australia might be better. Their average income and standard of living is significantly higher than NZ, they have better weather and the politicians are no worse than here ;-)
RCModelReviews

Postby Evan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:34 pm

Wow, sorry to hear that about your wife Bruce. Although I keep thinking that the grass is aways greener on the other side there is a lot to be said for the NHS here in the UK. We have friends who have moved to New Zealand and I have been toying with the idea of emigrating to Australia. The weather here is not always great and unfortunately we have politicians here too... as you know.

People here still think of Australia and New Zealand as the land of milk and honey but as you say until you have cut through all the tourist crap fundamentaly you still have to deal with the same issues and problems life deals out.
Evan

Postby ransideous » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:49 am

we westerners should all be thankful, try living in the Phillipines. my cuz, Homer, recently had a heart problem(he lives in Manilla) where he needed a pace maker to kickstart/ regulate his heart. 50 grand Aus cash, no op until at least half paid in cash. took us 3 weeks over 4 countries to get half the money. we're real luck we have big family spread around. if it happened here in Australia, he would have been operated on within 24 hours. i really hate U.S. styled health systems. land of the free, my arse!!!!!!!
ransideous

Postby Roger » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:29 am

I might be replying to an old thread here, but Politicians and snakes... I don't get it... they look the same to me...! They'll happily smile at you while the stab you in the back repeatedly while standing on your head! Right now, they are sneakily trying to take all of New Zealand's coastline out of crown ownership (for ALL to use FREELY) so that they can hand it back to the Maori in back room deals done with a parliament minister. Now, no offence to Maori (as most I know are a pretty good hard working bunch) but it is these bludgers who always want a free lunch and think they actually deserve it, who really annoy me. I work damned hard for my living, if I get a payrise (yeah right!) the Government will take away the equivalent in subsidies so that I do not end up any better off in the long run! And here, they seem to be falling over themselves to give these guys hand outs and land and rights that most "Normal" New Zealanders would get laughed at if we asked for. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to be a government subsidie beneficiary, but we are taxed so damn hard, and everything costs so much here, that my family would be utterly stuffed without it! (And I'm a consultant engineer!)
Sounds like a policy of appeasement all over again, and we all know where that lead to (WWII if you don't). We have an election coming up, there are only two realy partys to vote for, and frankly they are both as bad as each other - one is practically a communist party who want to control everything, and the other is group of fairly smart business men and women, who want to sell everything...!
About the only time they actually do something worth anything, is when we have a natural disaster like the tragic earth quake in Christchurch Yesterday (It's after midnight here now..)
Roger

Postby 7sp » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:02 pm

Speaking of Christchurch...

I'm not sure how far from there you are Bruce, but hope all is well and safe.

7SP.
7sp

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:47 pm

Yep, no damage here -- I'm quite a distance from Christchurch (fortunately).
RCModelReviews

Postby AngelsHigh » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:07 pm

I had the same concern - good news then!
AngelsHigh

Next

Return to Non-RC