nEW video: Installing the FrSky 2.4GHz DIY Turnigy 9

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

nEW video: Installing the FrSky 2.4GHz DIY Turnigy 9

Postby FBURDEN » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:55 pm

Awesome Video!!! And yes, Solder is pronounced without the "L", at least in Canada anyways!!

Question: re. If I want to use this kit and Turnigy 9x as a trainer with another Turnigy 9X with the same DYI kit, do I need to install a switch or something?
Currently you have to remove the module.

Thanks!

FB
FBURDEN

Re: nEW video: Installing the FrSky 2.4GHz DIY Turnigy 9

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:17 am

I'll look at the implications for using the trainer. The Turnigy has a really weird setup in this regard and even the trainer switch is backwards compared to normal convention.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby hobbynauta » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:06 pm

Hi Bruce (and all of you here and there),

Thanks a lot for that video.

What do you think about doing this to keep the original antenna soldered to the 5th pin of module pinout?

I'm considering doing this to use the original module with original antenna and want tu buy a FrSky module, could i do a similar mod to the two way module to use the pinout of the module to conect to the original antenna the FrSky module too?

If this is possible I think it is a good way, because you can change from one module to another using the internal antenna, and it hasn't the trainer conector problem, has it?

Look forward to know if this might work or not. Thank you.
hobbynauta

Postby Ampair » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:31 am

Alas, 2.4 GHZ output cannot be treated like the old FM frequencies. If you are amazingly lucky you will have a unit with a range adequate for the kitchen, but a bit marginal for use in a decent sized room; you would get better range controlling your model with reins and a whip. If you are not so lucky you will let the magic smoke out and cook your FrSky tx module within less than one second of turning it on. Microwave rf is tricky stuff to handle.
Ampair

Postby sp2hneptune » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:36 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:I'll look at the implications for using the trainer. The Turnigy has a really weird setup in this regard and even the trainer switch is backwards compared to normal convention.

I have been frustrated with this for almost a year now. I have to Turnigy 9X Ver 2 and can not get and instructor/student or buddy box setup working, no matter what. Found a mod to put a 1 kohm resister on the PC board in the back. No help. Tried stereo cable, no good. Tried mono cable, no good. Tried all of the combinations of modules in and modules out. Set Instructor trainer setting up, no good. Set student settings up, no good. I think this software is leftover from the Fly Sky TH9x FM days. No manual for a Turnigy 9x V2 exist. Hobby King is no help at all. Lots of people asking questions, not many answers. I believe now, after much trial and error, This radio system CAN NOT be used as an Instructor/Student system. Better off spending the money and getting a pair of Spektrum DX6i radios and mono cable.
I really like the Turnigy 9x except for that problem. I bought two of them at the same time when the V2 came to Hobby King at $60. The "not removeable module" I figured I could live with but it was a disappointment. Not really a modular system. But, this trainer issue is a big disappointment since that was the reason for getting two. No teaching my grandkids to fly with these two radios.
sp2hneptune

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:10 pm

Ampair is correct -- you can't just link those pads with a wire.

As for the buddy-box setup -- it sucks big time. I set up a 9X buddybox system on the weekend and found it was very annoying (as the instructor) having to hold the switch while I had control.

Clearly there needs to be some major re-think there. Perhaps some of the third-party software addresses this issue. I've downloaded the latest versions and (after a longer delay than I'd hoped) will be reflashing some radios this week to see how they've set up this function.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby hobbynauta » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:47 am

Ok, thank you very much for your help and answers.
hobbynauta

Postby JensR » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:52 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:As for the buddy-box setup -- it sucks big time. I set up a 9X buddybox system on the weekend and found it was very annoying (as the instructor) having to hold the switch while I had control.

Now, I have not used trainer systems before, but this sounds as if it could be solved by soldering in a switch that clicks into position?

Best regards
Jens
JensR

Postby Kozmyk » Wed May 18, 2011 2:20 am

So far I've had my 2 9Xs working in Master/Slave mode with the Turnigy module removed only.
Next step 1k mod. If the resistor doesn't work I'll fit a switch to isolate the PPM line from the RF module on the Slave.

Regarding the trainer switch, you can just swap the outside wire over to the other terminal.
This will mean you 'll have to flick the trainer button each time you switch on to clear the "Switch Error" message.
It will also interfere with the Timer operation. You'll need to double flick the switch to start/stop the timer.

I believe that in ER9X these settings will be reprogrammable.
Kozmyk

Postby disco stu » Tue May 24, 2011 6:52 am

sp2hneptune wrote:
RCModelReviews wrote:I'll look at the implications for using the trainer. The Turnigy has a really weird setup in this regard and even the trainer switch is backwards compared to normal convention.

I have been frustrated with this for almost a year now. I have to Turnigy 9X Ver 2 and can not get and instructor/student or buddy box setup working, no matter what. Found a mod to put a 1 kohm resister on the PC board in the back. No help. Tried stereo cable, no good. Tried mono cable, no good. Tried all of the combinations of modules in and modules out. Set Instructor trainer setting up, no good. Set student settings up, no good. I think this software is leftover from the Fly Sky TH9x FM days. No manual for a Turnigy 9x V2 exist. Hobby King is no help at all. Lots of people asking questions, not many answers. I believe now, after much trial and error, This radio system CAN NOT be used as an Instructor/Student system. Better off spending the money and getting a pair of Spektrum DX6i radios and mono cable.
I really like the Turnigy 9x except for that problem. I bought two of them at the same time when the V2 came to Hobby King at $60. The "not removeable module" I figured I could live with but it was a disappointment. Not really a modular system. But, this trainer issue is a big disappointment since that was the reason for getting two. No teaching my grandkids to fly with these two radios.

I'm using the the turnigy with ER9X firmware as buddy box with my JR ifthats any help. Just had to remove module out of turnigy
disco stu

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks