CA GLUE

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

CA GLUE

Postby ehub1 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:15 pm

Ok i'm building a Carl Goldgurg Tiger2 plane kit. It calls for Super Jet glue, i'm assuming that it is a CA glue. What glue formula should i be using? Thin, Med. or Thick. any help would be appreiciated. Thank You
ehub1

Re: CA GLUE

Postby Aviator » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:43 am

Mr Google said it is a medium CA glue.
:)
Aviator

Postby ehub1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:13 am

Ok thanks alot. I should of thought of Mr. Google :)
ehub1

Postby Aviator » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:00 am

No problem! I usually have medium and thin CA on hand.. and also accelerator
Have fun putting it all together Image
Aviator

Postby Flash1940 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:03 pm

Hi all....
Especially you who use CA. I have stumbled upon an idea that is a really neat method of using accelerator without all the oily mess it creates. First you go to McDonalds and buy a milk shake and keep the straw....or you could do like me and pick up a few extra......they're clean! These are the larger diameter ones. You need a clean straw for this project. Visit a pharmacy and see if they have some long-stem cotton swabs....these have a wood stem about 6" long. Dip the swab in the accelerator and roll it against the inside of the bottle to remove most of the accelerator liquid from the cotton tip......you don't want it dripping wet.....just damp. Now insert the swab into the straw....wooden stem first.....then use a stick or pencil to push the swab on into the straw so that 1 or 2 inches of the swab protrudes from the other end.
Get your CA (medium) ready and apply it to your desired glue joint. Now insert the straw.....(stem side only) into your mouth grasping the stem with your front teeth. Breathe out through the straw directing it over your glue joint. The vapor from your breath combined with the accelerator will cure the CA very quickly.....and without any oily residue. The glue joint will continue to cure over a short time.....but at least it will be clear as a crystal and your hands are free to hold in position.
Some will likely say that nut up there in Kentucky is crazy as a loon......That's OK with me......The construction of models sometimes requires some unusual techniques & methods to make things work.
If you try this.....let me know how you like the idea....and if you don't like it.....that's OK too....

Flash
Flash1940

Postby Aviator » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:02 am

I like your trick.. I had several occasions where I could have used it... I'll know what to do now. Do you think you have more cool techniques up your sleeve?
If so it would be nice if you shared them with us. :)
Aviator

Postby Flash1940 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:10 pm

Aviator wrote:I like your trick.. I had several occasions where I could have used it... I'll know what to do now. Do you think you have more cool techniques up your sleeve?
If so it would be nice if you shared them with us. :)

Yes.....probably a few.....No need to sit here and write a "Hints & Kinks" article....but as the topics come around.....I'll chime in. Hope you enjoy the technique.....breathe through your nose only and try not to drool....heh...heh.... ;)

Flash

Flash1940

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)