Permanent Farewell at RCGROUPS!

Chew the fat on any non-RC subject. It's a free-for-all but common rules of decency do apply so act like adults and don't embarrass yourself by trolling or cuss'n.

Re: Permanent Farewell at RCGROUPS!

Postby jeffie8696 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:56 am

I was told recently that my suggestion about diodes was "experimental" and should not be given out to beginners. And my posts were deleted. yeesh. :shock:
jeffie8696

Postby Asad » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:40 pm

jeffie8696 wrote:I was told recently that my suggestion about diodes was "experimental" and should not be given out to beginners. And my posts were deleted. yeesh. :shock:

What 'suggestion' was it? :)

RCG is not what it once used to be...
Asad

Postby disco stu » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:22 am

All your posts, or just those related to experimental electronic items called diodes??
disco stu

Postby jeffie8696 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:27 am

They deleted my diode posts like it was going to cause somebody to crash or something. Easy peezy, you solder a diode into the positive lead of your lipo and it becomes radio compatible. It drops the voltage to a safe level and prevents the lipo being charged through the charge port.
And if you cant solder in a diode just send it to me and I will do it for a miminal charge. 8-)
But if you cant solder in a diode you are probably in the wrong hobby.
Friend of mine is an electrical engineer , he came up with it.
jeffie8696

Postby disco stu » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:15 am

I thought I had read that a few times on there. Maybe you started it, but your definitely not the only person promoting it.
disco stu

Postby kneedrag » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:24 am

But that is considered stepping on the manufacturers toes and there main source of income so you can not be hacking there transmitters to make them lipo compatible.

Burn you cursed person at the stake of a lipo ignited fire.... ;-)

There is a reason I don't go to RCGroups any more.... Damn bunch of closed minded idiots running the show.

jeffie8696 wrote:They deleted my diode posts like it was going to cause somebody to crash or something. Easy peezy, you solder a diode into the positive lead of your lipo and it becomes radio compatible. It drops the voltage to a safe level and prevents the lipo being charged through the charge port.
And if you cant solder in a diode just send it to me and I will do it for a miminal charge. 8-)
But if you cant solder in a diode you are probably in the wrong hobby.
Friend of mine is an electrical engineer , he came up with it.
kneedrag

Postby jeffie8696 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:25 am

I never even said to change the radio, just the battery.
jeffie8696

Postby suchislife » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:06 pm

Deleting the post is silly and heavy handed. If the idea was in any way dangerous, the RCGroups community would soon express their concerns and through the natural course of the debate it would be shown to be so and discouraged by the users.
I learned much of what I know of rc at RCGroups. It is a fantastic source of experience, new ideas and knowledge. It seems it now will have fewer new ideas due to the 'safety moderators'.
RCGroups is starting to read more like 'days of our lives' (soap opera) than the resource i knew a few years ago.
Sopwith Camels Rule!
suchislife

Postby Andyone » Wed May 04, 2011 12:44 pm

Beware if you want to stay with RC Groups don't do what I did, JB himself threatened to ban me for something that isn't even against the rules, at least not the published ones. I joined a discussion about the annoying and distracting ads on the site and recommended the use of Firefox and it's really useful ad-on the ad-blocker. A while later JB responded in another thread that I had made a comment which had very much displeased him. At this stage I was intrigued to find out what this was all about. The result of an off-line discussion was that I had seriously upset him but no warning points were awarded and wasn't asked to edit my post by the normal warning system. He then threatened me with a ban if I didn't take-down the posts and never refer to the subject again (I may still get a ban for saying this here but time will tell).
It's true RCG isn't a democracy and they even say as much but it appears there is something much more insidious emerging, it like a press gagging order and you can't even tell others what happened, well I'm telling it here.

Andy.
Andyone

Postby Barbosa2 » Fri May 20, 2011 4:19 pm

Having been a moderator at several Discussion Boards (none of them RC related) since 1997 and Head Administrator for the most recent DB i was in, I reckon I can say a few words here.
I understand the slights against "American" boards and "free speech". Some boards offer no holds barred. Others adhere to certain modicums of civility, copyrights and whatnot. What users must consider is the quality of educational DB's, their rules and how they're run and policed, so to speak. Recently, at RCG, I asked a question by starting a new thread. The very first response wasn't an off topic one-liner, it was a paragraph of tongue-in-cheek gibberish. I learned nothing. Had I been a moderator in another DB, I would have deleted that post. Would have I have abused the posters free speech? Not according to the rules. Free speech has rules, regardless what country you live in. If all one does is post one liners with no value to the discussion, it takes away from the discussion.

Consider RCG and those that have build threads. How many times have you seen a poster come along and hijack it with their own build? It's irritating to me. Equally an irritant is the poster that derails the thread with off topic crap. I don't know how many times I've had to split a thread into two or more separate threads just to keep the original thread coherent and on topic. The idea, at least in the DB's I moderated, was to keep the OP on topic. And that includes separating posts to make new threads because some bonehead simply has to derail the OP...deleting insulting or offensive material...cutting out copyrighted material to 10% of the original material (plagiarism)...keeping an eye on quote-mining...watching out for spam.

In all the DB's I've belonged to, none of the moderators and administrators were paid. It's all volunteer work. Now, consider a fast DB with 30+ forums and 30+ moderators (fast means there will be anywhere from one to five pages of posts per 24 hours). A perfect world would see that each forum is maintained by 3 Moderators and hopefully one of them is several time zones apart from the others. I'm telling you, it's sometimes a real bitch when a fast forum hasn't been looked at because the Mod is sick or on vacation. For example, multiply that by 6. So one tries to triple up a fast forum with Mods. Sometimes one has no choice but to ask Mods to cover 3 or 4 forums. Burnout is quick. Turnover sucks.
At one point (just a couple months ago), I was spending 4-6 hours a day administrating one DB and at the same time watching my assigned forums. I had to give it up.

Mods get angry, just like any other human. No one can be completely unbiased. I don't know what's going on at RCGroups and I don't give a rats ass. The idiot posters that get angry at someone who asks a question are burnt out...or post sluts. These angry posters have nothing stopping them from answering a legitimate question either typing it out or providing a canned cut-and-paste reply (I've done the C&P thing thousands of times). They forget that they were once newbies and that search functions are not always helpful. So when I see this:
"I'm thinking of putting this motor in this plane with this rx, what do you all think?"
with a response:
"You're fucking stupid"
I'd expect the reply would be at least edited by a moderator. Wouldn't you? Are ethics and manners in such low esteem these days? Don't you expect the same treatment from those moderating as well?

So what about the guy here that found a way to cover the adds in RCG and his ban? In one respect, I can see why Admin got hot on him. The adds supply income. And a board the size of RCG requires a huge amount of space on a server. I'd reckon the costs for RCG is over $10,000 per year. It's a huge website.
BUT...
That doesn't assuage the treatment he got from Admin. Heavy handedness. Lack of courtesy. Moderation inconsistency. Etc. Not my way of running a board. At the same time, there's thousands of RCG members. How many do you reckon click on the ads? I don't. And what if virtually all members found a way to dispose of the ads? The companies will never know; RCG still gets paid.

Either way I look at it, though, I'll still use RCG and the others for reference and education. There's a goldmine of information in RCG. My only problem is wading through all the crap in a thread to find it. Most of the time I feel like I'm a heron wading all day through a pond looking for that one fish I can eat. Why do you think there are 6,000 posts in a single thread? Because Mods don't filter out the crap. I'm a big fan of posters staying on topic. And I'm a bigger fan of removing page after page of one liners that don't help.

I'm glad I found this DB. It's like a small town library...cozy and informative. Not like the Library of Congress that's overwhelming and huge. I really enjoy the videos and reviews.

This is way too long. I'll quit now.
Barbosa2

PreviousNext

Return to Non-RC