The Suspected Frsky GUID Issue

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Re: The Suspected Frsky GUID Issue

Postby funtana » Mon May 23, 2011 11:59 am

Bruce please publish this info as soon as you can, while my dht modules seem to be free of any problems im'e sure we are all waiting with bated breath to see if we have been given the full facts regarding the guids, if the results are positive it could go some way to restoring peoples faith in frsky.
funtana

Postby indyjem » Fri May 27, 2011 11:42 pm

I received my two replacement DHT modules today from Eva. I was hoping that since they were sent to me (to replace the conflicting ones I was returning to Frsky) before they found the issue with needing a two way bind cycle to establish a unique one GUID that I could once again duplicate the issue, and prove it went away. Sure enough, I could get cross control of a single receiver by placing both modules in one way mode, and binding a receiver to one. After establishing the GUID conflict I placed both in two way mode and put the transmitters in two way bind mode, shut them off and switched back to one way mode. Now comes the surprise, turn one back on and the receiver is still bound. Turn the second on and the receiver responds, still a conflict. I then rebound the receiver to one transmitter in one way mode, and the issue is gone, it will not respond to the other. I have tried several receivers now, and all appear to have no conflict. There has to be something about the initial one way GUID that is established with the receiver that allows the receiver to still recognize the transmitter even after the two way bind cycle establishes the GUID, any ideas? Bottom line, do not assume you are clear just because you do not have to rebind your one way receivers after the initial two way bind cycle. Do the two way bind cycle, and rebind all your one way receives to be sure, and don’t forget to reset your fail safes.
indyjem

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat May 28, 2011 3:15 am

Now that *is* interesting...

It's almost as if a receiver that is bound to a Zero GUID transmitter module will actually respond to any transmitter with *any* GUID. ie: a receiver bound to a zero GUID has a "respond to all" status.

I should have time this week to do some closer investigation. I'll post my findings.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby indyjem » Sat May 28, 2011 3:41 am

Bruce, both today and with my previous episode, the receiver bound to the two way modules, and being controlled by both of them, would not respond to a third transmitter I have with a one way hack. It is apparently something about the two ways in one way mode.
indyjem

Postby funtana » Sat May 28, 2011 12:42 pm

Indyjem thanks for the update, i somehow feel we have not heard the end of this issue but perhaps Bruce will be able to shed some more light on it in the near future, in the meantime i have rebound everything once again as an extra precaution.
funtana

Postby karolh » Sat May 28, 2011 1:28 pm

Seems to me that the only safe way is to stick to using two way capable modules with similar mode receivers. As for the one way systems users, just continue doing what we have been doing, enjoy using them but do a check with any new user that might be flying near you just to make sure that there is no conflict.

Karol
karolh

Postby indyjem » Sat May 28, 2011 8:20 pm

Something definitely changed after the two way bind on the transmitter and rebinding the receiver. As long as the two way bind does indeed populate the one way mode with a unique identity that is subsequently transferred to the receiver I would think it is totally OK to use the two ways in one way mode. There was a lot of theorizing going on about the fact that people had not had to rebind one way receiver after the two way bind was initiated meant the one way ID was already in place. While that may be true if the factory did a two way bind, it was not in my case. I think to be sure, just rebind all one way receivers. Hopefully Bruce can figure out exactly what is up with the GUID. Maybe the initial one way is 16 Bit zero ID, the two way is 24 Bit unique, with 16 Bit zero still part of the string, and a receiver is not looking for 24 Bits until bound to one of that length.
indyjem

Postby 7sp » Sat May 28, 2011 9:34 pm

I thinking your testing and theory is correct indyjem. Confirming the speculation I posted. Once a 2-way bind is issued the problem goes away. This one time initialization was done at the factory (except for a few that were missed) or people mistakenly issued a 2-way bind before setting the switches to 1-way mode and binding with a 1-way RX. This binding mistake corrected the situation before people did the first 2-way TX to 1-way RX bind so were spared from the problem you have discovered.

It is kind of funny that they would send you yet another module that had not been initialized.... unless they don't initialize ANY of the them at the factory and everyone has just been extremely very lucky to mistakenly have done a 2-way bind before using with a 1-way RX.

Hopefully Bruce will soon be able to confirm what the GUID's really look like in both modes and also nail this mystery down if he is lucky(or unlucky) enough to have one of the un-initialized modules to test with.

7SP
7sp

Postby karolh » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:29 pm

Can anyone say with any degree of certainty if the current V8 series modules and receivers currently being made are the same as the earlier ones offered by Frsky, or has there been a revision or upgrade.

Karol.
karolh

Postby 7sp » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:19 am

karolh wrote:Can anyone say with any degree of certainty if the current V8 series modules and receivers currently being made are the same as the earlier ones offered by Frsky, or has there been a revision or upgrade.

Karol.

Degree of certainty and FrSky is somewhat a oxymoron...

Sorry can't confirm, but I do know of one person that reported the recent V8HT he installed did not suffer from the servo jitter that an older one displayed while being used in the exact same radio and with the same receiver.

Here is another fun one.. I did a quick look at work today and printed off some Frsky Documentation. While there I looked in the beta section and found a new Firmware just released with today's date.... I figured I would download it when I went home. Now it's gone, vanished... vaporware.

I just did a remote session into my desktop at work to confirm I was not seeing things. Here is my display from a few hours ago.

Frsky-beta3.JPG
Frsky-beta3.JPG (60.66 KiB) Viewed 18573 times

They must have changed their mind...
7SP
7sp

PreviousNext

Return to Radios and Servos