Flickering digit after $8 mod

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Flickering digit after $8 mod

Postby Tranworld » Sun May 29, 2011 5:17 am

Hi,
I have just received my Ver2 Turnigy system with 4 additional receivers. I have installed the $8 mod and the display register 10.0V properly with 2 LiOn battery, however as soon as the sticks are moved and the voltage dip to say 9.9V the display rapidly flicker to point of the digit not easily seeing. The system still works well, is thers anyway to mitigate this?
Tranworld

Re: Flickering digit after $8 mod

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun May 29, 2011 6:39 am

The Turnigy's voltage readout tends to flicker back and forth between voltage readings (ie: 10.0 -9.9 -10.0 -9.9) even without the mod. It's just the relatively simple way they have written the software without any smoothing to eliminate the flicker.

Once the voltage drops a little more it should stabilize -- then, when it gets close to 9.8V it will start flickering 9.9 - 9.8 - 9.9 - 9.8.

It's nothing to worry about -- this is only a $54 radio after all.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Tranworld » Sun May 29, 2011 6:53 am

Thanks for the quick reply, in this case I won't be bothered by it anymore. By the way I am thinking of extending it with a switch to somewhere reacheable without opening the case, this is so that I can still use AA battery in the event that my LiOn ran out in the field, but then again I can still use just 5xAA to achieve the same effect? BTW if, with then mod in place and I inadvertantly put on all 8xAA, what would the display be?
Tranworld

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun May 29, 2011 10:19 am

The Li-ion batteries can be recharged at 1C so you can get enough into them for a whole day's flying in about 10 minutes. I wouldn't worry about having them go flat at the field.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Tranworld » Mon May 30, 2011 8:53 am

By the way I have now bought a tiny 1/8W resistor to solder there, looks almost "factory mod"
Tranworld

Postby Tranworld » Tue May 31, 2011 2:05 am

I have posted another post about my need to flash the firmware with custom type, however I read that in custom firmware the alarm threshold can be altered in the firmware thus negating the need for this mod? With custom firmware you will see the real V value and yet be able to adjust the alarm accordingly
Tranworld

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks