tx/rx

Nicad, NiMH, Lithium, A123? If it's transmitter or receiver batteries you want to talk about, do it in this forum.

tx/rx

Postby boatbobber » Sat May 28, 2011 11:12 am

Looking for some help !!!
I am working with a manufacturer in China to supply tx/rx system for my new boat.
They were kind enough to send me proto types to test with in the beginning.
After testing, it was determined that in order to power the motors properly we would need to
increase the battery on board the boat to an 11.1 volt size. Because of the communication issues, I am
having trouble trying to determine what size battery I will need. Will it be necessary to have an 11.1 volt
battery in the tx to balance the system ?
boatbobber

Re: tx/rx

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat May 28, 2011 8:20 pm

The batteries you use in the boat won't affect the type of batteries you need to use in the transmitter.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby boatbobber » Sun May 29, 2011 11:17 am

Thank you, that clears that up. Is the size of the battery relative to distance in the tx?
boatbobber

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon May 30, 2011 2:06 am

No, the size of the battery usually just determines how long it will operate between recharges.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby boatbobber » Mon May 30, 2011 12:40 pm

Then can I make the assumption that the range that I am trying to obtain is all in the quality of the tx/rx design?
boatbobber

Postby aesmith » Mon May 30, 2011 2:23 pm

boatbobber wrote:Then can I make the assumption that the range that I am trying to obtain is all in the quality of the tx/rx design?

That is pretty much correct, although how you choose to mount the receiver and it's antenna (or antennae if there's more than one) can have an effect. If you're concerned then you need to check for yourself. Most modern transmitters now have a "range test" mode, where the output is reduced by a factor of something like 1000. Speaking really roughly, if it works OK at 30 yards in "range test", then it should be good for nearly 1000 yards on full power.
aesmith

Postby boatbobber » Tue May 31, 2011 11:52 am

Thanks for the in-put. Will this basic formula be affected by the fact that we are in water ?
I have another tx/rx question I hope can be answered. Is it possible to have an on / off switch
on the tx to turn on power to the boat ?
boatbobber

Postby aesmith » Tue May 31, 2011 1:34 pm

Do you literally mean power? If the boat is completely powered off, then its receiver won't be working.
aesmith

Postby boatbobber » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:09 am

My thought process was if the battery is plugged in and the rx was set up in a sleep mode state, could the tx have a switch to power up the rx when in close range? I am trying to get away from an on / off switch in or on the boat.
boatbobber

Return to Receiver/transmitter Batteries