Modified 8$ Tx battery

Nicad, NiMH, Lithium, A123? If it's transmitter or receiver batteries you want to talk about, do it in this forum.

Modified 8$ Tx battery

Postby citizen.lambda » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:02 pm

Hi, I just picked up a Turnigy 9x V2 and have been chewing through AAs like it's nobody's business so far. Not being the best solderer, and considering my budget for spare transmitters is very limited, I decided on an alternative battery: 3s2p 14500 LiFe batteries from dealextreme (12.41USD total). I'm waiting on them to arrive, but in the meanwhile, does anyone have any idea about wiring balance taps to this kind of pack? I have an iMax charger on the way so a 6s balance plug is the preferable option. How would I wire it though?
I'll put up a build thread of some form once I'm done.
citizen.lambda

Re: Modified 8$ Tx battery

Postby Kozmyk » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:57 pm

You're only going to be able to balance them as a 3s because they're in parallel pairs - 3s2p.
Have you got a link to the batteries you've bought?
It'd be easier to see how to wire them up if we could see them.
Kozmyk

Postby citizen.lambda » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:44 pm

Hi, I picked up 3 of these http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultra-fire ... -2pack-975 . Thanks for helping :)
citizen.lambda

Postby aesmith » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:57 am

Out of interest, why 3S? As I understand it, the radio is quite happy with 2S.
aesmith

Postby Kozmyk » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Something like this?

Methods for building/connecting DIY packs are many and varied, searching Google will bring a lot of them up, from good old soldering to DIY capacitor discharge spot welding.
Attachments
3s2p_LiFe_Balance.jpg
3s2p diagram with balance leads
3s2p_LiFe_Balance.jpg (45.13 KiB) Viewed 21936 times
Kozmyk

Postby citizen.lambda » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:17 pm

Thanks for the help. I'll be using that diagram then for my wiring. Might be a bit of a hassle cable-wise as i'm going to have to do two bundles of three cells to match the battery compartment. Actually looking at that diagram I could just wire them as individual 3S1P cells and just put the balance taps in parallel right? It'll be a week till i get them though, DX only shipped them this morning... If only shipping stuff from one end of the world to another didn't take so long :D
citizen.lambda

Postby citizen.lambda » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:17 pm

UPDATE: I completed it, and it works great. Naturally snug fit in the compartment, no foam needed, and more battery life than i can throw a stick at. Bit of a pain to assemble the whole thing, especially with regards to the balance taps, but otherwise success :D I'll post pics if requested. I managed to fry two of my heli servos (do NOT overdrive a digital servo with the wrong gyro settings, or there will be hell to pay... well about $5 at least) so waiting on a new set of cyclics to arrive, so not getting much of a testing opportunity.
citizen.lambda

Postby Kozmyk » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:14 pm

Piccies are always interesting.
Kozmyk

Return to Receiver/transmitter Batteries