To get FrSky telemetry module or not??

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

To get FrSky telemetry module or not??

Postby disco stu » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:33 am

I thought I read somewhere that the FrSky telemetry modules are the future/better than the non telemetry modules for some reason. I can't remember where I read this, and I can't find it through searching. I think it was saying that future recievers won't be compatable with non telemetry module, or they are somehow functionally better.

I know every second post is about FrSky, so I apologise for starting yet another thread but just couldn't find anything it was appropriate to add my question to.

I'm going to do a hack on my JR X-378 and don't know whether its worth getting the telemetry module or just get the standard. I don't see myself needing telemetry, but you never know the future and paying the $7 extra from hobbyking doesn't bother me to have it there.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Stu
disco stu

Re: To get FrSky telemetry module or not??

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:13 am

Going for the telemetry module gives you quite a bit more flexibility.

Not only is it compatible with both the 1-way and the 2-way receivers but it's also designed so that you can update the software from your PC -- which isn't a feature of the 1-way system.

This does provide an extra measure of future-proofing against improvements and changes that may come along over time.

Given the small difference in price -- I'd go for the telemetry option, whether you need telemetry or not.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby disco stu » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:28 am

Beauty, thanks Bruce. Thats awesome-will wait for the telemetry hack unit to come back into stock
disco stu

Postby aesmith » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:11 am

I just made the same decision, only £5 more or something for the two-way so why not.
aesmith

Postby disco stu » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:20 am

I placed order with hobbyking last night and they were out of stock, so I didn't order the FrSky stuff cause chances are the order would be held up a month or something cause of it (been stuck waiting for 3 months for back ordered canary glider). Get home from work tonight and got the emails that all the FrSky stuff I wanted got into stock today :roll: Got on live chat to try and get them to add it but they said the order had already been printed so they couldn't add it-yeah right!!

Looks like another order for me
disco stu

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:12 pm

Yeah, I've lost track of the number of times I've placed an order and the stuff I actually wanted turns up the next day :-(
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby aesmith » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:46 pm

I ordered my 9X and DHT when both were on back order at HK. It was only a few days before they were back in stock, so no big deal in the end. Annoyingly "Giant Cod" in the UK doesn't let you order stuff that's on back order otherwise they'd have got my business, and of course as it turned out they got the stuff back in before my HK order was finally delivered.
aesmith

Postby disco stu » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:02 am

Telemetry hack module and telemetry plug in module are on their way. I figure I may as well start using the FrSky stuff instead of buying more 36mhz stuff, for the same or more money than the FrSky Rx's without the worry of frequency clashes
disco stu

Postby disco stu » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:05 am

So now I'm killing more time at work :roll: And looking through FrSky site I noticed that there is different telemetry hack modules

http://www.frsky-rc.com/Products.asp?BigClassID=17

I'm getting the one without the switch I assume, whatever hobbyking sells.

Does this mean I can't use the non telemetry recievers, or have to hack on a switch somehow...??????
disco stu

Postby kaptain_zero » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:15 am

Well, Hobby King is selling the one without the additional toggle switch but it says at the bottom of the page: "Compatible with D8R & DF6R recievers in 2 way telemetry Mode.
Compatible with V8 Range Receievers in V8 Mode"

Reading further down the page at FrSky it seems that there are switches on both units, just that one has a toggle switch so you can go back and forth between 1 way and 2 way receivers without having to access the actual unit by mounting the toggle switch externally somewhere on your radio. Without the toggle, you'd have to open up the radio case to get at the switches on the module itself, not quite so practical if you want to switch back and forth.

Regards

Kaptain "Why does the fine print have to be so....uh.... fine!?!?" Zero
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Next

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks