Anyone installed an Frsky DHT module - interested in the swi

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Anyone installed an Frsky DHT module - interested in the swi

Postby aesmith » Sun May 29, 2011 9:53 am

Hi,

If anyone's installed one of the Frsky two-way DIY modules, DHT, I'd be interested in their solutions for mounting the switch and LED panel. It doesn't look straightforward to make it easily usable.Image

The DIP switches and the bind/range check button are pretty much level, so could be accessible through appropriate cut outs. The LEDs, just below where its says "D1" are surface mounted on the PCB, so I'm undecided as to how to make them visible. I think I might try making a clear panel, with cut outs for the switches, and see if the LEDs are going to be visible enough through the plastic.

Any other ideas welcome!

Thanks, Tony S
aesmith

Re: Anyone installed an Frsky DHT module - interested in the

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon May 30, 2011 2:07 am

I ordered some 2-way DIY kits so I could do a video showing how to install them but I ended up with the new ones - they have a toggle switch for changing between 1-way and 2-way.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby aesmith » Mon May 30, 2011 7:30 am

I have a plan. If it works out, I'll post photos here. I just need an hour undisturbed in the workshop actually try it.

Could you post a picture of the new panel? I'm also wondering whether to see if Frsky would send me one of the new panels. Assuming the circuit is the same, there are only four wires to change over.
aesmith

Postby aesmith » Mon May 30, 2011 7:07 pm

Here's my plan. Its not quite aligned there, and the PCB just held in with a bit of tape. I think probably hot melt to hold the PCB in from behind, and superglue to fix the panel. I'm not sure whether to black out the panel except over the LEDs, or just leave it as-is ....

aesmith

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:46 pm

Hi,
I installed a DHT module and put it in the empty Turnigy module by straightening the pins on the serial connector, it fitted in nicely, I used a short flying lead to connect the power and input signal through the connectors that plugged to the original module. I used a plywood support to bring the switch connector to the back surface of the module and covered it with a bit of thin perspex with a hole to press the bind/range button, that all worked out OK.
What did not work with the DHT module was Bruce's method of mounting the aerial the DHT gold plated screw connector must be shorter than the one he received. When I mounted it as shown it seemed OK the aerial screwed in with the nut on the outside of the plastic.
I then compared the power output of the frsky to the my Turnigy version and DX6i, it was way down.
I took the glue off and removed the aerial, when the connector was screwed in as far as it could go the signal was up with the Turnigy and DX6i but when screwed together like that the shaft was not long enough to engage the plastic on the inside, as the aerial body would not move any further through the aerial mounting hole.
I solved this by screwing the aerial together with the wire passing up through the mounting hole then pushing it back down greeting it with a big injection of hot glue. So beware and make sure your aerial connection is properly made.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby aesmith » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:42 pm

BillGriffiths100 wrote:...So beware and make sure your aerial connection is properly made.

I mounted it as follows, first some pipe around the connector to make it a tight fit in the housing. (Make sure there's still enough thread for the antenna to screw fully home) ..

Then fit it from below, and lock in place with hot glue ..

Position it so that when the aerial is fitted, there's still enough of the knurled part to be gripped both to make sure it's tightened properly and so it can be removed if that's ever required ...

Regarding the switch/LED panel, the plastic subpanel is glued in place, the circuit board is just retained with a little block of foam between the pack of the PCB and the innards of the radio so its held firmly while the case is screwed together. I like the fact that the button can't be pressed by accident, and the LEDs are visible in normal use.
aesmith

Postby kaptain_zero » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:12 pm

I have a new 9x radio and one of the old 1-way DIY kits + another Smartie Parts board to build a backup radio to the one I'm using, but I was going to switch to the new 2 way DIY kit. I think I'd prefer the toggle switch version, so the question is, where did you get your new DIY units from, Bruce? I got my original DIYs and radios from HK. I don't see the new toggle switch style at HK?!?!

Regards

Christian

RCModelReviews wrote:I ordered some 2-way DIY kits so I could do a video showing how to install them but I ended up with the new ones - they have a toggle switch for changing between
1-way and 2-way.
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks