frSky fan stuck with a DX7.. what to do?

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

frSky fan stuck with a DX7.. what to do?

Postby skyguy04 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:23 pm

Ok, so i've been following the reviews on the new frSky and Hitec radio systems. I'm convinced that DSM2 is flawed now that I've personally seen 17 DSM2 related crashes at fly-in's and at our field. I'm also convinced after watching Bruce's great review on the "exposed flaws" of DSM2's channel selection. The question is what do i do now? I've currently got a Spektrum DX7 transmitter and 3-4 expensive Spektrum/JR receivers. I really don't want to spend a lot of money switching to a different system. It seems like i am "vested" in this old DSM2 stuff. However, I'm about to build a new 100cc Aeroworks extra 260 and i don't want it to get shot down due to a lock out. What would be the least expensive option for me?

Note: i also like the programming features of spektrum/JR. It's very easy. If i have to switch transmitters, is there a particular older model JR transmitter that i should go with that excepts modules?
skyguy04

Re: frSky fan stuck with a DX7.. what to do?

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:04 pm

A guy here in NZ has converted his DX7 (I think) to FrSky using a DIY module.

By doing this you get to keep your existing transmitter and simply have to buy some FrSky receivers to replace your Spektrum ones (which you could flog off on eBay).

I'll see if I can get the guy concerned to share his secrets here.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby skyguy04 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:45 pm

That would be excellent! FrSky receivers aren't that expensive. Plus, i could probably sell my JR's for the price of the FrSky.
skyguy04

Postby skyguy04 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:07 am

Any luck on finding the info for the DX7 mod?
skyguy04

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:17 am

I've just emailed the guy and asked him to post here.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby skyguy04 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:35 am

Thanks! I'm still debating on weather it would be worth it to just buy a 9303 or a 10X and use the module. The only down-side is that you can't take advantage of model-match, and there is supposedly a noticeable delay in control inputs. It's especially noticeable when hovering a heli. My buddy uses the XP9303 with the frSky module on his planes and loves it. He does not fly heli's though..
skyguy04

Postby kneedrag » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:52 am

Yip I converted my DX7 to use the FrSky DIY Hack module. I took some photos and videos I just have not had the chance to put the build online yet, I had to go overseas for a week for work so a lot of my projects got delayed.

Give me a day or so to check all the pics and write a few words around them and I will post it here for you.

If you have any questions feel free to ask away and I will answer them.
kneedrag

Postby skyguy04 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:11 pm

Thanks Kneedrag!

Just out of curiosity... Did you leave the spektrum gear intact and install a switch to go between frsky and Spektrum? I've heard of one guy who did that. Albeit he didn't insulate the spektrum gear well enough and as soon as he flipped the switch, the spektrum gear fried. Guess it shorted on something.
skyguy04

Postby Cheralex » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:50 am

Also looking forward for details to convert dx7 to frSky.
I've already successfully converted my Futaba 6EH, but it was very simple, as PPM output very easy to find and catch a proper signal. However specturm got me a bit confused.
Cheralex

Postby kneedrag » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:45 pm

Sorry for the late response. It has been hectic at work and I just have not had the time to sit down and document this process.

However it is getting done as we speak here http://wiki.parkflyers.org.nz/wiki/index.php/DX7#FrSky_hack hopefully by this afternoon it will all be completed or it should give you the basics needed to install the hack.

As for the switch mod that was me. I installed it thinking hey there is enough clearance here and well there was not good news the FrSky survived the DX7 tx board did not. I have left the switch in as if I find a second hand one that has been ditched I might swap it, However the more I look at it I can't think of a good reason to do so. ;-)
kneedrag

Next

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks