Futaba 6EX FASST 2.4GHz

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Futaba 6EX FASST 2.4GHz

Postby Jolly-Swagman » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:51 pm

Hi all , Just got a Futaba 6EX FASST 2.4GHz that was graciously sent to me by another RC Heli/Planker buddy, now the only problem with this TX is the Throttle Hold toggle switch is broken, the switch still works just the toggle broke off.

Now does anyone Have a Spare one of these switches laying around from a defunct Futaba TX, that would be greatly appreciated.

OR Will I just be able to swap out the toggle switch with a similar one from jaycar electronics local store and re-solder onto the small PCB board

I also have to change this Futaba 6EX to Mode 2 as its a Mode 1 configuration at the moment, or go through the whole learning curve of flying Mode 1,, :lol: but I think will be easier to change to Mode 2 config :D

Thank you
Jolly-Swagman

Re: Futaba 6EX FASST 2.4GHz

Postby Kozmyk » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:47 pm

If there are no other components on that small switch PCB, it's hard to tell from the photo, then it would not be essential to have a PCB mount switch there at all. Any SPDT (single pole double throw) switch that will fit will do just as well. As long as you get the middle wire right, the position of the outer wires can be determined by trial and error (or just turn the new switch around if it's wrong)
Kozmyk

Postby Jolly-Swagman » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:08 am

Thanks for the reply Kozmyk , but yes the PCB Board has to be there, and I can replace the switch on it with one of these Futaba replacement switches or similar type
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCLP1&P=V

Jolly-Swagman

Postby Jolly-Swagman » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:06 am

Also out of the Two Orange Futaba FASST compatible 8ch 2.4Ghz receivers witch would be the best one to get to use with my Futaba 6EX on both Heli's and Planes

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14300__OrangeRx_Futaba_FASST_Compatible_8Ch_2_4Ghz_Receiver.html @ $27.99
OR
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17206__OrangeRx_Futaba_FASST_Compatible_8Ch_2_4Ghz_Receiver_S_Spec.html @ $31.99

I Plan on getting 2 0r 3 of the above.

Thank You!
Jolly-Swagman

Postby Rob2160 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:41 pm

Hi George, the only difference between those two RXs is that the more expensive one can be used in "Tandem" to provide channels 9 through to 14 for the larger channel Futaba Radios..

The $27.99 version cannot do that.. but that is not a problem for the 6EX..
Rob2160

Postby Jolly-Swagman » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:39 am

Rob2160 wrote:Hi George, the only difference between those two RXs is that the more expensive one can be used in "Tandem" to provide channels 9 through to 14 for the larger channel Futaba Radios..

The $27.99 version cannot do that.. but that is not a problem for the 6EX..

Thanks Rob, I thought that might be the only difference between the Two Rx's, :)
Jolly-Swagman

Postby dahawk » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:32 am

Hello fellow Futaba brothers,

I fly mainly park trainers like the PZ TrojanT-28 , the Airfield Cessna 182 and the iconic HZ Super Cub that I have converted to 2.4GHz. Have the Futaba 6EX TX though at my club ,I feel like the lone wolf as most are using Spectrum. For rx, I have the genuine Futaba 7 ch R617FS and also use the Orange knock off from HK. For the type of flying I do, both work fine and I cannot really tell a difference except the Orange rx is about 1/2 the price of the Futaba.

Now my question: I want to get into flying DIY foamie pusher park jets ( F-22 ) for fun and combat. Don't need the full capability of a 6- channel futaba rx and want to keep the weight down if possible. I also don't want to spend more for a rx than the plane itself. Does Frsky make a 2.4 fasst compatible 4 channel rx or am I relagated to using the Orange 7 channel Fasst compatible for this application?

Thanks,

Hawk
Dallas, Texas
dahawk

Postby Jolly-Swagman » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:50 am

This is the Futaba 6EX FASST 2.4GHz TX a mate (Rob) of mine over in Perth,WA sent me , and some mods that I have done to it sinceI received it, as it had a broken TH switch, so that was replaced by me, also changed it from Mode 1 to Mode 2

As you can see in the next pick to original TH Toggle Switch is mounted on a small pcb board , now the new Toggle switch I am going to replace it with the pcb terminal mount post were slightly more spaced out by a mm or so.

So here is how I overcome that little obstacle, by mounting the Toggle switch where it should go and running 3 wires to the pcb board after the old swith was removed, and solder them to the pcb board,
Also while at it change the Gimbals from Mode 1 to Mode 2, as you see in pic there is a tension bar, that needed to be moved over to the other Gimbal and the centring spring moved to this Gimbal

The pcb board is then tucked in on side out off the way

Now with the Toggle switch and Mode conversion all done, put it back together.

Now I Received a Parcel from HobbyKing this morning containing the long awaited FrSky TFR6 7ch 2.4Ghz Receiver FASST Compatible for the Futaba TX and also Futaba Neck Stap some TurboThumbs Super Big Futaba Rocker (1pair) Red and a RX ON/OFF Switch

Now have put the Futaba Big Thumbs on the Gimbals

Also when I use the Phoenix RC Sim this is the Futaba Adaptor Cable used

So now once the weather clears up I will be able to get out and fly my 450 Heli's, we have just had the wettest September day for a century, and raining again today, so hope will clear and fine up soon!

dahawk wrote:Hello fellow Futaba brothers,

I fly mainly park trainers like the PZ TrojanT-28 , the Airfield Cessna 182 and the iconic HZ Super Cub that I have converted to 2.4GHz. Have the Futaba 6EX TX though at my club ,I feel like the lone wolf as most are using Spectrum. For rx, I have the genuine Futaba 7 ch R617FS and also use the Orange knock off from HK. For the type of flying I do, both work fine and I cannot really tell a difference except the Orange rx is about 1/2 the price of the Futaba.

Now my question: I want to get into flying DIY foamie pusher park jets ( F-22 ) for fun and combat. Don't need the full capability of a 6- channel futaba rx and want to keep the weight down if possible. I also don't want to spend more for a rx than the plane itself. Does Frsky make a 2.4 fasst compatible 4 channel rx or am I relagated to using the Orange 7 channel Fasst compatible for this application?

Thanks,

Hawk
Dallas, Texas

You could also use the above RX,s I have just got, they are quite a bit smaller in comparison to the Futaba or the Orange clone, and would be perfect for parkflyers, and I think there is a 4ch one you can get too
Jolly-Swagman

Postby Jolly-Swagman » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:27 am

Here is my Buddy Code for the Above TFR6 FrSky 7ch FASST compatible RX's
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?code=324D849D-B24B-455D-8712-767E80ACF5C6
Jolly-Swagman

Postby dahawk » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:04 pm

Many thanks Jolly-Swagman !

Almost finished building the Foamie F-22 park jet in preparation for combat. Will go ahead and get the frsky 2.4 fasst rx. I like the turbo thumb idea as well.

Enjoy your summer !

Cheers,

Hawk
dahawk

Return to Radios and Servos