sugestion for a small video/review Bruce

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

sugestion for a small video/review Bruce

Postby rubenmoniz » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:17 pm

Hi.

Most of us that fly fpv would like to use a small cheap lcd as a backup from our laptops or goggles, since you said you received some lcd displays for cheap could you do a small review regarding the blue/black screen of death/no signal screen (yep thats a lot of /) that some screens feature when the signal is poor?

Thank You
rubenmoniz

Re: sugestion for a small video/review Bruce

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:05 am

Yep. I'm looking at ways of defeating the screen-blanking too. Could be quite simple in some cases but I've yet to finish my testing.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby rubenmoniz » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:35 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:Yep. I'm looking at ways of defeating the screen-blanking too. Could be quite simple in some cases but I've yet to finish my testing.

Maybe some of those lcds don't even have that "feature"... that would be the simplest way :D
rubenmoniz

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:52 pm

Yes, that's why I got a selection of them -- hoping some would not have it -- however, it seems to be a "standard function".

Right now I'm waiting for some datasheets to come for the chipsets they're using so I can see what's involved in disabling that "feature".
RCModelReviews

Postby bmsweb » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:41 pm

I'm interested to see what you come up with, I've actually been thinking of the possibility of using an iPod Touch 4th Gen LCD 960×640 px at 326 ppi. They're a great lcd, but I don't know much about connecting a video controller to them etc. Trying to investigate it all at the moment.
bmsweb

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:25 am

Using the iPod LCD becomes a fairly major project and I'm thinking that most people just want something that's simple and (at most) might require soldering a couple of wires or fitting some plugs to existing hardware.
RCModelReviews

Postby bmsweb » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:39 am

RCModelReviews wrote:Using the iPod LCD becomes a fairly major project

I'm thinking you're right about that Bruce! Its not as straight forwards as I would have liked. Can't wait to see what you come up with :)
bmsweb

Postby John_Edward » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:27 pm

Well, when you break it down to single products, what you have is:
(Camera -> Controller Board) -> Transmitter -> Receiver -> (Controller Board -> Screen).
Camera, Controller boards and Screen are digital
Transmitter and Receiver are analogue.

The blanking comes from the RX giving the screen too mangled analogue signal, and when the controller board tries to change it to digital data for the screen, it fails and goes in to a 'fail-safe' mode and displays just black or blue.

So the fail is in the analogue -> digital conversion, and the best solution for that is a really good signal quality, or having the conversion happen before the screen, either by the RX or a separate device.

Of course, different screens can handle different amounts of interference, so even a low quality signal can work with some screens.

---

The iPod screen reminded me of the terrible MyVu iPod video goggles :P - http://www.amazon.com/Myvu-Personal-Med ... B000W9OJVA
Humanity is conformity
Conformity is society
Society is this reality
John_Edward

Return to FPV