Another newbie question: Standard servos.

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Another newbie question: Standard servos.

Postby Sid Sideslip » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:18 am

Well, if Tx decisions aren't hard enough for my ancient brain, choosing servos today is an even harder conundrum.

I'm just nailing together a .40 high wing trainer and past experience (30 years ago) tells me I'll probably need servos to make it get off the ground, however briefly.

HobbyKing has a humongous range and I really don't trust a word that's said in the product descriptions for Chinese lesser known stuff (see Bruce's metal gear servo disaster for instance). I really want to minimise grief during my re-learning phase.

Anyway, I need some reasonably priced standard servos, with maybe a beefy one for the ailerons, as there's only the one and the model uses those nylon/plastic strips rather than true hinges. They seem awful stiff to me (another question, should I prise them out and use real hinges? Never struck these plastic thingies when I was into rc planes all those years ago)

I'm kinda poor, being retired, especially with all the gear I have to get at one time to get back into the hobby, so any recommendations for a reasonably priced yet reliable servo would be appreciated (I'll even go so far as to drink beer in your honour, maybe a lot).

Am thinking of Hitec atm; a guy at the club with a similar trainer is using HS325HB ones which seem OK.

Any thoughts chaps?
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Re: Another newbie question: Standard servos.

Postby Sid Sideslip » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:37 am

Not to worry, I asked around and picked up some Hitecs HS425BBs for a good price locally. Should do the job for a trainer just fine.
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Re: Another newbie question: Standard servos.

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:58 am

My quest for the perfect "standard" servo continues.

I picked up some of the HobbyKing metal geared standard servos but one has failed -- the motor jammed solid. It could have been just bad luck and I have four others that I'll be testing hard to see if it's a common issue. I've also got a swag of the nylon geared ones I'll be testing too.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)