Transmitter choice: Head asploding.

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: Transmitter choice: Head asploding.

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:41 am

Yeah, the ACCST ones are FrSky's own protocol (not FASST compatible) and have the option of telemetry (quite handy to know when you're getting near the edge of your RC system's range if flying FPV).

I gather that the MAAA allows a 9X to be used with the FrSky system but not with the standard Turnigy system. More tomfoolery on the part of MAAA me thinks -- although I would only use the Turnigy RF system for small/light models because it has no failsafe and a single receiver antenna.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Sid Sideslip » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:21 am

Edited: As I have now read the entire Turnigy 9X thread and also watched the frsky DUI conversion video....duh. Great video instructions btw. :D

So what you are saying is that I could maybe try out the Turnigy box with the frsky DUI kit and receiver from HobbyKing and be sweet with the MAAA? Be so neat if it worked well (which it seems to do) me being old, poor and a cheapskate. Mostly poor.

Is this the set-up you are using on your 9X?

BTW, my brother-in-law is an electrical engineer at the local uni, so he could do the conversion and run a check on it all to spot anything dodgy (he's also the guy I blame when I get a speeding ticket, as he calibrates all the speed cameras for Tasmania Poo-lice).

P.S. To reduce your workload having two threads on the same topic, I'll redirect any relevant questions over to the 9x V2 thread after your reply. Really must reiterate how grateful I am for this forum and your input, reviews, videos etc. Champion work. I'll make a point of recommending it to all my r/c mates.

Whacko the Chook! (As we say in Oz).
Last edited by Sid Sideslip on Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:59 am

I'd opt for the telemetry DIY kit rather than the module since this will be much neater when done. I've already done a video showing how to install the non-telemetry version in the 9X and I'll be doing another to show how the telemetry version can be installed.
RCModelReviews

Postby Sid Sideslip » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:03 am

Gah! I just edited my post after reading through the 9x V2thread (see above) and refreshed, only to see your reply. Thanks though. I'm so going to do this...with the telemetry kit.

Cheers and thanks.
Sid Sideslip

Postby kaptain_zero » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:13 am

RCModelReviews wrote:Well right now, the DX8 and the A9 are sitting on my review bench being prodded and probed.

Stay tuned and the comparison review will be up on the weekend!

Well, to be honest.... Bruce did not mention *which* weekend or in what month or year........

However, I believe Bruce is in dire need of a "Production Manager"....... Where's Barry when you need'im?!?! :mrgreen:

Regards

Kaptain "I'm even getting leery over buying green bananas anymore" Zero
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:07 am

True.. as usual, life gets in the way of such things.

Car needed repairs, trying to figure out how I can buy the hangar/workshop and looking after a sick wife all take a toll on one's time.

What I need to do is get into this full-time -- however, I doubt there'd be many who'd line up to pay an annual subscription so until then it's a "best effort" enterprise.

I did manage to get about half the filming and testing done though.
RCModelReviews

Postby Sid Sideslip » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:43 am

Well, you never know Bruce. I'd be prepared to pony up for an annual subscription, providing it was reasonable, and I'd bet a lot of other people would too. Just asking nicely for a donation (which I will cough up for when I can) sort of lets things get loose in people's minds and that maybe let's things slide, and so not as much comes in.

The option on your various sites for a semi-automatic contribution (via a yearly e-mail reminder) may well pay dividends, especially if there are some added benefits (which I can't think of at the moment). Works for many NGOs.

I reckon a lot of people read/watch your stuff, but maybe don't post comments, but are very grateful for the info and just might click on a button to subscribe.

Then again I suck at making money, so who am I too say.

Worth thinking about though, hey?
Sid Sideslip

Postby Sid Sideslip » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:56 am

Forgot to mention. I ordered a 9x and the FrSky DUI telemetry version kit from HK yesterday. When I started there were ten 9xs left at the Oz warehouse. By the time I got the order in there were four. This morning there were minus 2.

Popular or what?
Last edited by Sid Sideslip on Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sid Sideslip

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:15 am

Yes, popular for a reason!

Unfortunately we still get people rolling up the the club here who have just wandered into a hobby shop and been sold a DX6i or a Futaba 6ch, something which is far less powerful and far more expensive. They can't believe they spent so much money for something that does so little when compared to the 9X.
RCModelReviews

Postby kaptain_zero » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:41 pm

As there does not seem to have been too much activity the past day or so... I'll sort of hijack this thread for a minute and have a question regarding the telemetry DIY kit.

RCModelReviews wrote:I'd opt for the telemetry DIY kit rather than the module since this will be much neater when done. I've already done a video showing how to install the non-telemetry version in the 9X and I'll be doing another to show how the telemetry version can be installed.

There are two kits, one with the toggle, the other one has two slide switches... I can only find the latter for sale at any of the usual haunts. I'm having mixed feelings about an external toggle switch, handy, but..... too easy to accidentally activate whilst in the air perhaps?!?!?

I don't have either version of the 2 way DIY module in hand, but I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion where the little control board should go if using the non-toggle switch version? From the picture it seems it might be a bit tricky to make a nice cutout for it on the top of the radio ala Bruce's oneway DIY install. I was thinking it might best fit in the soon to be empty module case as the flat back should be easier to cut for those little switches, as well as the little leds used.

Thoughts?

For the record, I have a second 9x radio that is untouched so far... I also have have another smartieparts board for it, and I'm thinking I might as well go ahead and include the telemetry readout on the 9x display as I seem to have settled in with the ER9X software which apparently supports telemetry display on the 9x screen.

Regards

Christian
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

PreviousNext

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)