Turnigy 9X LCD Backlight Kit - Blue (DIY) and the $8 battery

Nicad, NiMH, Lithium, A123? If it's transmitter or receiver batteries you want to talk about, do it in this forum.

Re: Turnigy 9X LCD Backlight Kit - Blue (DIY) and the $8 bat

Postby usn-at2 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:23 am

i use the white back light kit on the diy $8 mod goes ok for a few weeks now.
usn-at2

Postby ElectroPilot » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:39 am

:?: How is the brightness usn-at2 ? Was curious with a slight volt difference. :?:
Thank you much!

Electropilot.
ElectroPilot

Postby Sid Sideslip » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:40 am

I've just ordered a programming board and backlit screen kit from Smartypants (see link).

http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=331

One question has just occurred to me though; will the screen and board be compatible with the $8 battery conversion?
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby ElectroPilot » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:55 am

Sid Sideslip wrote:I've just ordered a programming board and backlit screen kit from Smartypants (see link).

http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=331

One question has just occurred to me though; will the screen and board be compatible with the $8 battery conversion?

Now thats another question I had myself! Thanks for bringing that one up Sid ;)
Thank you much!

Electropilot.
ElectroPilot

Postby Kanga » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:30 am

RCModelReviews wrote:I've just received one of those backlight kits so I'll make sure it works okay with the $8 battery mod. I think it should but I'll confirm.

Bruce would you be able to tell me if the turnigy backlight kit would fit in a jr pcm 9x 2
Cheers Doug :)
Kanga

Postby kaptain_zero » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:07 am

Yes, the $8 battery works great with the Smartieparts board. If you load the ER9X software, you can tweak the low battery warning setting and can avoid the hardware mod otherwise required if using the stock 9x software. Note... I've read some comments that the stock radio with ER9X or other software does not properly measure the voltage when it gets close to 7.2V (hardware issue if I recall correctly....). I think there is a fix, but I don't recall what it was.... I probably read it on RCGroups. I have my warning set to 7.4v and it seems to work just fine.... By the time you hit 7.4V with a 2 cell LiIon (or lipo) you've only got about 10% left... plenty of juice to make a relaxed landing and it'll keep beeping long enough that you can't stand it and turn the radio off before it goes too low.

One other thing about the Smartieparts board... you must load one of the custom software versions such as ER9X to get the back light to work (you then have the option of on/off/xxsecs/custom switch and so on. The HK back light is hard wired and works with any firmware including the stock one, but it is always on, unless you add a physical switch somewhere.

Regards

Christian

Sid Sideslip wrote:I've just ordered a programming board and backlit screen kit from Smartypants (see link).

"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby ElectroPilot » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:11 am

kaptain_zero Thank you so much for that info! I will be using the eR9x fw. Crazy not to. : )
Thank you much!

Electropilot.
ElectroPilot

Postby Sid Sideslip » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:11 am

kaptain_zero wrote:Yes, the $8 battery works great with the Smartieparts board. If you load the ER9X software, you can tweak the low battery warning setting and can avoid the hardware mod otherwise required if using the stock 9x software. Note... I've read some comments that the stock radio with ER9X or other software does not properly measure the voltage when it gets close to 7.2V (hardware issue if I recall correctly....). I think there is a fix, but I don't recall what it was.... I probably read it on RCGroups. I have my warning set to 7.4v and it seems to work just fine.... By the time you hit 7.4V with a 2 cell LiIon (or lipo) you've only got about 10% left... plenty of juice to make a relaxed landing and it'll keep beeping long enough that you can't stand it and turn the radio off before it goes too low.

One other thing about the Smartieparts board... you must load one of the custom software versions such as ER9X to get the back light to work (you then have the option of on/off/xxsecs/custom switch and so on. The HK back light is hard wired and works with any firmware including the stock one, but it is always on, unless you add a physical switch somewhere.

Regards

Christian

Thanks for that! I figured it would be OK, but just wanted to check to be sure.

Also, thanks for the heads-up regarding the inaccurate voltage reading. I'll make sure to follow your advice and set the low warning to 7.4volts using the new FW (probably ER9X). Btw, I'll probably set the gear switch to turn the backlight on and off.
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby usn-at2 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:25 pm

i use the white back lite on the $8 diy like bruce .my friend has the blue on 9.6v .we compared at our flying field in bright sun both looked good. be sure you don"t put it in back to front i did for a start. fly frsky since jan. very good
usn-at2

Postby ElectroPilot » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:30 pm

usn-at2 wrote:i use the white back lite on the $8 diy like bruce .my friend has the blue on 9.6v .we compared at our flying field in bright sun both looked good. be sure you don"t put it in back to front i did for a start. fly frsky since jan. very good

Very cool to hear! Thank you very much! ;) :) Now I have no doubts on the matter. Awesome when great info comes through!
Thank you much!

Electropilot.
ElectroPilot

PreviousNext

Return to Receiver/transmitter Batteries