gyro/stabilizers????

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

gyro/stabilizers????

Postby lesnewjr » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:13 am

Hi, my name is Les, im new to rc planes. can enyone tell me a good stabilizer to help with my lerning process? maybe somthing like the fy21ap or fy20ap, but somthing cheaper. just a stabilizer/gyro im not wanting to do fpv right now maybe later.
thanks, les
lesnewjr

Re: gyro/stabilizers????

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:24 am

There are two ways to go:

Gyro-based stabilization systems such as the FY20 or infra-red horizon-seeking systems such as the FMA Co-pilot.

There are pro's and con's for both.

However, don't forget that it's still possible to buy models that are pretty inherently stable and don't require extra electronics to make good safe trainers. The AXN floater is one of those and there will be a full review of that product here in the very near future.

In the meantime, you can see what I have to say about it on my XJet channel:

AXN Floater, the perfect plane for learning RC flying on
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby rogueqd » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:48 am

I have an elevator gyro in my AXN Floater. I'm waiting for them to come back in stock at HK so I can get an aileron one as well. Although they're only useful in gusty wind. On an average or calm day they don't make any difference.
Edit: Here's the link... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... oduct=6755
rogueqd

Postby Sid Sideslip » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:22 am

I first learned to fly rc over 30 years ago on my own, starting with a simple high-wing glider and a bungee cord type "winch" (well, I did until a bloody cow ate it - the elastic that is). I lived on a farm then and had a huge field to fool around on. Then I put a motor on said glider and all went well...until I pulled a too tight inside loop and the wings folded up.

I went on to build a series of biplanes, all running on a .19 Enya glow engine with no throttle...flat out until it ran out of fuel. Hairy stuff, but fun and I was young with quick reflexes then. All two channel radio btw.

I also got right into slope soaring on a beautiful fibreglass sailplane that went like the clappers. I never pranged that once.

Now I'm an old fart and I have found the best way to get back into it properly is to use a high wing trainer (I'm building one, but have been using the club's .60 Boomerang in the meantime) and an instructor with a buddy box radio set up where he can take control if I get into trouble. My main problem though was just getting used to mode I again as, having flown full sized stuff in the meantime, I found the mode 1 layout really weird...lots of practice on an RC flight simulator helped cure that problem (the reason I'm using mode 1 is that all the instructors at my club do, and most of the other members as well...it's the norm in Oz and it does help with landings, as the elevator and ailerons are on different thumbs).

So, my advice would be to join a club if possible and get proper instruction from an accredited rc flight instructor. It really does take away most of the drama and you don't fall into bad habits. Also, he will make you fly proper circuits with real 90 degreei turns at constant height (just like learning to fly the real thing)...which is surprisingly harder to do than just taking off and punching holes in the sky. It's good discipline. It also teaches you how to set up a landing with your plane positioned correctly for a drama free touch down (even in windy conditions)...or decide to go around and try again in good time. At home, get a rc flight simulator and practice every night until you can do those circuits and land every time....without over-controlling, as people tend to do when playing video games.

Learning with a suitable, docile, high-wing trainer and an instructor means that flight stabilisers really are not needed.

Just my 2c. And all the best!!
Last edited by Sid Sideslip on Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:17 am

Gee, half the fun on a windy and turbulent day is flying through the rough stuff!

It's a great test of skill and reflexes to be able to carve your way through a blustery wall of turbulence -- I really love it!

I did once try fitting gyros to a fixed-wing model and found it was so damned boring. Even when you're learning, a model like the AXN has more than enough inherent stability to cope with novice fliers.

The only time I find onboard stabilization to be useful is when you're flying FPV and want to keep the plane steady for camera work.

However, the great thing about this hobby is that you *can* do anything you want and everyone is different! Do whatever excites you and have fun doing it -- that's what I say!
RCModelReviews

Postby bmsweb » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:32 am

RCModelReviews wrote:The only time I find onboard stabilization to be useful is when you're flying FPV and want to keep the plane steady for camera work.

I'd never considered putting a Gyro on a Plane before, but that's one great reason to do so. Does it make much difference to the stability in terms of the look of the video?
bmsweb

Postby pete139 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:31 am

I purchased 2 HK 401B Head Lock gyros with a Bixler.

Reasons:

This is my first plane
I like modding and tinkering
I intend to run with a camera on it from day 1
I live in 'windy' Wellington
They were quite cheap
Just interested to see what they can do

and I also wanna try one of the gyros in my 1/8th offroad buggy hehe ;)
pete139

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:04 am

Just a warning -- don't try to use the gyros in heading-hold mode -- you *will* crash your plane!
RCModelReviews

Postby Keith » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:10 pm

I might try a gyro in my Bixler.. I got some mini mems here spare.. I changed all the servos to digital as that's all mini mems work with... I'll try it on the ailerons first once I have everything trimmed out... I did a few mods to my Bixler... The latest I finished today was to change the rudder control... Hated the set-up it came with, just can't get even throw each way... So I moved it inside and made a pull, pull system.. I had to replace rudder and elevator to make it work, but it works perfect now...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby Flash1940 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:38 pm

I have a couple of those 401-B gyros. After testing on the bench I am convinced they will NOT do what I believe is necessary for fixed wing. My initial plan was to activate the head-lock feature with a switch only on the rudder during takeoff. The 401-B is still in gyro mode even when not in head-lock. In other words....it stays between your rudder inputs from your transmitter and the rudder servo at all times. You can't switch it out or have it pass the signal directly to the servo when head-lock is switched off. I can't use them for fixed wing....or.....I can't figure out how to trust it.
Automatic stuff is probably not good for learning to fly anyway....so....get out there and put your hands on the sticks and join all the rest of us that glue stuff back together when we make a booboo !

Flash
Flash1940

Next

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)