Converting Mode 2 to Mode 1

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Converting Mode 2 to Mode 1

Postby oldtimer143 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:14 am

Hi Bruce and all,

I have a couple of older transmitters (JR Unlimited 8) that I bought via Ebay a number of years ago and I'm about to convert them to 2.4Gig with the FrSky module system. However, they are mode 2 and I fly mode 1. Therefore, I need to have them converted, but the cost of sending them to the local JR service department is prohibitive, being more than they cost me in the first place. So, I need to DIY this project and am quite prepared to do so, but for the fact that my electronics knowledge is woefully inadequate for the task. Can anybody point me to a website, or give some advice on just what is involved.

I realize that I could just swap the throttle ratchet and plug the servos into different receiver sockets, but this would lose some functionality such as flaperon and elevon mixing, which I'd rather keep. Any thoughts and/or assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Greg
There's no such thing as gravity...... the earth sucks!
oldtimer143

Re: Converting Mode 2 to Mode 1

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:19 am

In the past I have converted similar radios by swapping over the pot leads from throttle to elevator.

If you're lucky, that's all you'll have to do but if the centering and throws are out then you'll need to recalibrate the radio. In some cases (if there's no software calibration procedure) that can involve slightly rotating the pots so that the centering is correct but in most radios I've changed over this has been unnecessary.

Just make sure you take pictures beforehand so that if anything goes wrong you can return it to the original state.

If your radio has mechanical trims then you need do nothing extra, otherwise you'll also have to swap over the trim switch wires as well.

In some radios, the pots and trim switches plug into the logic board and it can be a simple case of swapping these plugs over. Murphy's law however, says that this won't be the case with your radios ;-)
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: Converting Mode 2 to Mode 1

Postby oldtimer143 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:40 am

Thanks Bruce,
I'll be ordering the battery and 2.4G module in the next week or so, and when they arrive, I'll make a start. Bound to call on you again, but for the moment, thanks.

Greg
There's no such thing as gravity...... the earth sucks!
oldtimer143

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks