Transmitter Mode....3?

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Transmitter Mode....3?

Postby pete139 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:26 am

I'm new when it comes to RC planes, been doing RC cars a long time however. So after some research and with help from this site I settled on a Turnigy 9X which I've already installed a Frsky DIY kit and with be adding er9x firmware soon.

Now since HK only had mode 1 9X's in stock at the time thats what I got, and now I know its quite simple to switch it over to mode 2 but I actually quite like have the throttle on the right. It makes sense being right handed to launch a plane from my right hand while having some control at the same time with my left hand.

AFAIK a proper mode 1 has the ailerons on the same stick as the throttle, that doesn't feel right to me, so I intend to use elevator/aileron on left stick and throttle/rudder on right stick... this is mode 3 i think. It seems hardly anyone uses that mode...? I am just being weird or just confused and making things difficult for myself? Will my kid be ridiculed in later life if my bad mode 3 habits are passed down to him?

-Pete
pete139

Re: Transmitter Mode....3?

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:34 am

We have a guy in our club who flies mode 3 and he likes it. He seems to fly very well so I guess he's quite happy with it.

I'm mode-agnostic. I believe people should use whatever mode they feel most comfortable with. Most folk use Mode 2 these days simply because that's the way most radios are sold.

I'm an old codger so I fly mode 1, because that's the way radios *used* to be sold.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby bmsweb » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:19 am

RCModelReviews wrote:I'm an old codger so I fly mode 1, because that's the way radios *used* to be sold.

Mode 1 Here too, but most people I know fly Mode 2
bmsweb

Postby Keith » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:35 am

I would give my right arm to be ampidextrious....
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby Flash1940 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:18 pm

I learned to fly with a GDA 405-S....a Heathkit (Kraft) single stick on 53.3 MHZ. I'm a ham....RC on the 6 Meter Amateur Radio band. I still have my 405-S system. It has been cleaned up and all batteries replaced. I held it cradled in my left hand. All the flying surfaces were on the single stick(right hand) with a slider on the side for throttle control (left hand).
Really old technology compared to today's equipment.....but it put me in the air with great success. I suppose I learned a lot of bad habits.....I still have trouble flying with two sticks. I tend to not use the rudder at all......just program in a mix to make my coordinated turns.
I knew you (Bruce) flew mode 1....I watched you hand launch and use your lower lip to up the throttle. I also saw some fellows at the Joe Nall last year that swore by mode 1 and tried to convince me I should change.
To each his own I guess.
Hot as hell here in Kentucky today......guess you're freezing down there in NZ Bruce....!!

Flash
Flash1940

Postby bmsweb » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:24 pm

Flash1940 wrote:Hot as hell here in Kentucky today......guess you're freezing down there in NZ Bruce....!!

By the looks of his videos, it looks like NZ seems to be getting unusually good weather for this time of year. In Melbourne (Australia) the weather has been so cold and even when the sun does decide to shine, the wind is way to strong :(
bmsweb

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:28 pm

Yeah, the winter has been good to us but that didn't stop me from catching a cold t his week (sniff, sniff).
RCModelReviews

Postby ergocentric » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:21 am

One of the better IMAC fliers around here flies mode four, so I asked, he said rolling circles were much easier

(I fly mode two, like my instructors)
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:11 am

Rolling circles are pretty easy with Mode 1 -- you just stir the left stick like you stir your coffee counter clockwise when rolling left, clockwise when rolling right.

Of course getting the timing and deflection right is the hard part ;-)
RCModelReviews

Postby rogueqd » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:23 am

I fly mode 3. Throttle on the right because I'm left handed, and I like the left stick to be like the yoke on a real plane. Too much MS Flight Sim maybe, lol. :)
rogueqd

Next

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)