power supply for Accucel-6 charger

Nicad, NiMH, Lithium, A123? If it's transmitter or receiver batteries you want to talk about, do it in this forum.

power supply for Accucel-6 charger

Postby RCMikeofIndiana » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:19 pm

I'm thinking of purchasing a couple of the Turnigy Accucell 6 (or called Accucel-6) chargers to charge my 6v NiMH RX packs. I have plenty of computer power supplies laying around that will provide plenty of amperage but I was wandering if a 12v wall adapter would work just as well. I have wall adapters ranging from 700ma to 1.5a. Will any of these do or should I just stick with the computer power supplies?
RCMikeofIndiana

Re: power supply for Accucel-6 charger

Postby Sid Sideslip » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:07 pm

I'd opt for a computer power supply.

Wall adapters are linear transformers and are not ideal, as the voltage can fluctuate with load if they are unregulated. Even if they do use a regulator set-up it can still be noisy and imprecise. Computer power supplies use a switching method and are much more efficient with the voltage control being better regulated.

The power supply that came with my TReX charger, for example, is a switching mode unit, rated at DC16V at 3.75amp.

What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby RCMikeofIndiana » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:14 pm

The computer power supply says 12v, 11.5 amps. I guess that's the way to go.
RCMikeofIndiana

Postby kaptain_zero » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:18 pm

Yes, I've converted a couple of PC supplies here, work just fine.

Christian
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby Keith » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:17 am

The power supply that came with my TReX charger, for example, is a switching mode unit, rated at DC16V at 3.75amp.

That's the same output as a lot of laptop adapters/chargers... I use one for my foam cutter (2 foot wire), works great with no regulator...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby Sid Sideslip » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:31 am

Keith wrote:The power supply that came with my TReX charger, for example, is a switching mode unit, rated at DC16V at 3.75amp.

That's the same output as a lot of laptop adapters/chargers... I use one for my foam cutter (2 foot wire), works great with no regulator...

Ooh, interesting.

I've been reading up on foam cutters with a view to making my own wings. Seems like a strong and accurate method compared to the old built up methods...maybe less prone to warping too? (sorry, but I'm new to this method). Do you sheath yours in balsa or maybe fibreglass or carbon fibre cloth? I'm a bit dubious of my abilities using balsa sheathing and vacuum bagging etc.

Edit: I also have some computer power supplies lying around, one of which I converted as a power supply ready for a battery charger, but as it happened the TRex I bought locally came with a power supply. Paid too much for it in retrospect, but at least with a local dealer I could return it easily if the magic smoke came out when I got it home, unlike, say, a Turnigy unit from HobbyKing or wherever overseas.

Edit 2: Just came across this method, using contact adhesive with balsa sheeting...looks good and likely something I could do (well, assuming I want to become part of the wing). http://www.jackdevinemodels.com/foam_bldg_technology.htm
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Return to Receiver/transmitter Batteries