My FrSky telemetry project

Telemetry is the new "big thing" in RC systems. If you've got something to say or a question to ask, do it here.

Re: My FrSky telemetry project

Postby Kanga » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:32 pm

I wish to use the frsky telementry system to monitor the main lipo .
I want more than a beep to warn me but I dont want an lcd monitor system just a simple board with a row of led that I can see out of the corner of my eye so to speak.
I am not interested in using multiple telementry functions just the lipo monitor.
Could this be modded to be used on the transmitter telementry module
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... splay.html
Kanga

Postby AlanGP » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:44 pm

Hey Bruce,

I have followed this forum for a few months with increasing interest. I have a similar background to you but no where near the currency with RC kit. But I can solder and have some experience with the earlier LCD two row displays - weather stations and over sophisticated temperature gauges etc. I have just upgraded my 35mhz Futabas with FrSky gear largely at your suggestion and they work well. Since I fly cheap foamies, full blown telemetry is a bit OTT but I have some German mates with huge gliders and I can always build a test bed flyer.

I have looked at the FrSky options - they look good but are currently in very short supply - particularly in Europe. If you have plans to publish the project, with or without some parts (pcbs/PICs) available - i'm in.

Regards

Alan
AlanGP

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:11 pm

No not unless you replicate the voltages it's seeing at the other end of the telemetry link.
Your best bet would be a micro that read the RS232 and turned on LEDs appropriately.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby takilara » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:22 pm

On RcGroups they posted link to a new document on the FrSky webpage (Frame Protocol of FrSky Telemetry Hub System)
Thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=1049
File: http://www.frsky-rc.com/uploadfile/2011 ... 301692.pdf
The price of getting what you want;
is getting what you once wanted...
_____
T-REX 600 ESP
CopterX 450AE V2
Multiplex FunCub
Belt-CP
takilara

Postby bapgood » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:49 pm

Has Bruce's voice telemetry project been released yet? If so where can I get one? If not, when it is released where should I be keeping an eye out?

Thanks Bradey
bapgood

Postby seaman » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:55 pm

Hi,
do you now how to transfer telemetry data from FRSKY Tx to laptop via USB ?

Thanks,
E.
seaman

Postby takilara » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:11 pm

seaman wrote:Hi,
do you now how to transfer telemetry data from FRSKY Tx to laptop via USB ?

Thanks,
E.

I am not sure if you are asking about the actual connections neccessary, or the methods to extract the actual data after you have the connections in place, so I will try to answer both.
For the hardware.
Depends on if you have the FrSky USB cable, or the FrSky serial cable. If you have the serial cable you will need either a serial port on your computer, or a USB to Serial adapter cable. This adapter is typically very similar to the one that is built into the FrSky USB cable. And you will probably need a driver. The FrSky USB cable should just connect directly between the computer and the Tx module, but might need a driver (I don't have this cable so cannot say for sure)

There is one more route (the one I actually use) Is to have a serial to bluetooth bridge chip connected to the Tx at all times, then i use bluetooth on my computer, or on my cellphone to connect to the FrSky system.

Software:
When all that is in place, you can use the programs from the FrSky webpage to set alarms, and also see the values of the analog channels.
(I don't know if the FrSky software now also supports its HUB data, but it probably will at some point if it doesn't already)
If you need more detailed telemetry data (user data etc), you will have to retrieve the serial stream, and parse it as the documentation states. (I would only recommend this to programmers and people that have an interest in learning to program to start this path though)

The stream can also be read in the windows application Hyperterminal, or third party software like Putty without programming skills, however the raw data is encoded, so you still need to do work to have the stream make sense.

Hope that this helped you
_____
T-REX 600 ESP
CopterX 450AE V2
Multiplex FunCub
Belt-CP
takilara

Postby seaman » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:35 pm

Thank you takilara !
Can you send me a link to 'serial to bluetooth bridge chip' in some store or ...

About software: Do you now something similar to this ground control station ?
http://blog.flytron.com/simpleosd-telem ... ation.html
seaman

Postby takilara » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:05 pm

Here is link to the bluetooth bridge chip: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... 0578455455

Regarding software, i use something i made myself. I used to have computer software for it, but i didn't like bringing the computer to the flying field. Now i used my cellphone. It is very simple software for now. Lets me see the values, and reads them in my ear every 30 seconds
_____
T-REX 600 ESP
CopterX 450AE V2
Multiplex FunCub
Belt-CP
takilara

Postby seaman » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:54 pm

Do you have any interference ? A think that FRSKY and Bluetooth use the 2,4Ghz.
seaman

PreviousNext

Return to Telemetry