Fitting the new FrSky telemetry dui kit with switch...

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Fitting the new FrSky telemetry dui kit with switch...

Postby Sid Sideslip » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:12 am

OK, I've just finished fitting both the new FrSky dui kit that comes with a 3 position switch, together with the SmartyParts programming board, mini usb connector and backlight panel.

First off, the RC Model Reviews video for the FrSky dui kit is no longer quite correct with this unit. The reason is firstly that you have to mount that switch somewhere convenient, yet out of the way and, most annoying of all, the bind button and led panel no longer fits one the top in front of the antenna, because they have wired the connector leads on the top of the board, not underneath and they get in the way. I forgot to take a photo showing how they just make it a pain to fit on top of the Tx (unless you unsolder them and reconnect the wires underneath the board). I said bugger it and mounted the board smack in the front of my 9X (in the do-nothing grill).

Easy to see and not too bodgy.

The switch was harder to mount, as I wanted to see it too make sure it was set right and there is really no easy place. There is just enough room to mount it on one side of the antenna at the top (right in my case) though it rubs right up against a mounting pillar and it fitted on a curved section of the case, so, not as easy as it looks.

Anyway, heart in hand I switched it all on and... ta da! It worked and bound nicely with the Rx.

The new layout...

Just have to update the firmware now. :D
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Re: Fitting the new FrSky telemetry dui kit with switch...

Postby kaptain_zero » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:14 pm

Where did you source that toggle switch module from? I have not been able to find any dealers that carry it......

Chris
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby Sid Sideslip » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:57 am

kaptain_zero wrote:Where did you source that toggle switch module from? I have not been able to find any dealers that carry it......

Chris

Well that's the funny thing Chris, I didn't. I just ordered the standard FrSky dui kit from HobbyKing, as they didn't list the switch version.

When it arrived though it was the version with the switch. Didn't pay any more for it or anything.

Here's the instruction sheet.

Close-up of the new wiring layout on the bind and led panel. Wires now soldered on top.

Turnigy 9x with er9x fw successfully flashed (note very bright power on led). NO MORE BEEPING!!!! :lol:

Sid Sideslip

Postby kaptain_zero » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:13 am

Thanks,

I guess I'll order one of the units and see what shows up.....

Chris

Oh, and congrats on getting the unit flashed successfully, now the REAL learning starts... it's wonderful software, but it takes a while to wrap your head around it..... well at least my foggy noggin had a small fit.
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby Shotglass » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:57 am

we usually paint over the frsky leds ith a black felt tip pen to make them less annoying
also tends to give them a neat lava look
Shotglass

Postby Sid Sideslip » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:34 am

Shotglass wrote:we usually paint over the frsky leds ith a black felt tip pen to make them less annoying
also tends to give them a neat lava look

Good tip, thanks. That led was stopping me from enjoying mah back light!

Next mod, the $8.00 battery pack (when the damn batteries show up that is).

Sid Sideslip

Postby Oops » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:02 pm

I put my red light and push button just underneath the Turnigy letters but still in the aluminium area. The 3-position switch is in the battery compartment. With two Li-Ion batteries there is plenty of space. Looking onto the back of the transmitter the swithch sits in the left top slot. Wee bit of enlarging the slot and it goes in.

I did get the USB cable as well but not connected yet because I haven't looked into what it actually does (but is was so cheap).

If the wind remains low I might do my first autopilot flight today. Am a bit nervous that I programmed everything ok, including the failsafe on the Frsky. Don't want the plane disappearing to the North Island once again.
Oops

Postby disco stu » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:37 am

That damn clunky 3 way switch is pretty annoying I reakon. Its not the sort of thing you want to be accidently bumping, but I can't see how you wouldn't bump it if mounted on the outside. I was thinking of putting on a smaller 3 way switch, maybe slilder style, and mounting in the batt compartment like Oops mentioned. I'm doing this on JR X-378 though, and using NiMH pack, not lithiums, so don't have as much room
disco stu

Postby rogueqd » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:42 am

I put my button and led on the back half, that way I don't have to think about it when pulling my case apart. I had to hack away at the inside support a bit, but it's only a $60 radio, hehehe. :)

rogueqd

Postby pldb64 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:08 am

Hi All,

I believe i've seen posts about placing the DIY 2-way telemetry module inside the removed Turnigy 9x module. Does anyone have any photos as to how this was done? So far it seems there are four workable placement options:
1. Bruce's original placement (although the newer boards seem to bring this into question now)
2. Rogueqd's placement of button/led & 3-way switch on the rear portion of the Tx
3. Sid's/Paul's placement of button/led in front grill and 3-way switch on the rear portion of the Tx
4. Placement of the DIY module in the removable module - unknown placement of button/led & 3-way switch

Any other options?

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all as well
Pete
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Next

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks