Futaba T5NH conversion with frsky hack module

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Futaba T5NH conversion with frsky hack module

Postby quarry44 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:40 am

Hi,all.I'm considering converting the above tx to 2.4ghz using the frsky hack module.
Although I've done a fair bit of minor electronic fiddling,I don't know where to find the ppm signal in this rat's nest.
I don't have an oscilloscope,primarily because if I had one,I wouldn't know what to do with it :lol:
Presumably any black wire on the main board would be a - source,and the + I could get off the switch.But where ,oh where,is that pesky ppm signal to be found?Note that this tx has no trainer socket to filch it from.
I have taken a few pics of the tx to aid any possible detective work.
I realise this is a helicopter tx,but it seems to fly my Limbo dancer just fine.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v401/ ... 20FP-T5NH/

Many thanks.Hans.
quarry44

Re: Futaba T5NH conversion with frsky hack module

Postby ergocentric » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:01 pm

Photo one is the transmitter PCB, unplug it
Photo five, connector bottom left (white shell five pins) should have VCC, GND, PPM, and maybe a wire that goes to the antenna (the white wire directly above the connector?)

Is there a trainer port? (definitely a PPM signal on a trainer port)

In north amerika this is a Futaba Conquest (looks like the Heli version)
Conquest came in four to six channels, Aircraft or Heli version, PPM or PCM version

I just looked at the 5NLH manual, seems there is no trainer port.
http://futabarc.com/downloads/manuals.html
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Re: Futaba T5NH conversion with frsky hack module

Postby quarry44 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:53 am

I've gone back to this tx for the 2.4ghz Frsky conversion.Conveniently,this uses the same chip as the fg4,a 5044N.I soldered the neg and ppm cables directly to the chip,and spliced the V+ in to the battery cable.I guess I could have taken the V+ from the chip too,really.
Happy to report a fully working transmitter and receiver combo.btw,ergocentric,thanks very much for the 5044 pinout sheet,this was a good starting point for my conversion.Although I did get it slightly wrong in the first instance,having 2 servos react to the aileron channel,and the same on the throttle channel.This was remedied by shifting the ppm wire to the next tab on the 5044 chip.So,to sum up,neg gnd on pin 8,ppm on pin 10,and V+ from the battery supply line.I'm one happy camper:).
quarry44

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks