Latest 5.8Ghz system to go for?

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

Latest 5.8Ghz system to go for?

Postby Oops » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:00 am

Looking for 5.8GHz systems can take up days behind the computer. Only to find that most reviews are many months if not years old. Bruce, you mentioned to produce something we can go by. Same for a camera system but will bring that topic up as well.
Why oh why can I not find a site which tells me: "ok, for about 2km you need this system (5.8GHz), so many mW, this special antenna and here you can buy the lot, order now before the NZ$ looses too much ground.

Anyone that has done a RECENT search?
Oops

Re: Latest 5.8Ghz system to go for?

Postby rogueqd » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:31 am

I'm researching the same thing. I haven't found a "buy the lot" link, but it seems a 5.8Ghz 200mw with circularly polarized antennas will get you around 2km in an open field. Circularly polarized antennas also, they say, have the best penetration through trees, which 5.8Ghz is, apparently, terrible at. I don't actually have an FPV setup yet, but that's what I'm currently thinking of buying.
rogueqd

Postby bmsweb » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:01 am

I've purchased the HK 5.8Ghz system, just waiting on HK to send the dam thing :x once I get it I'll post some tests etc. I plan on testing it with both the Standard antenna and circularly polarized antennas. On the weekend my mate was flying his TriCopter with this system and the standard antenna. Range doesn't seem to be much of an issue. Admittedly he wasn't flying too far away but anything getting between the antenna and the receiver or when flying very low the signal got worse. Also depending on the way the TriCopter would turn and lean, the signal got noisy at times.
bmsweb

Postby rogueqd » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:38 am

bmsweb wrote:Also depending on the way the TriCopter would turn and lean, the signal got noisy at times.
Yeah, that's the polarization (or lack there of) effect, also multipathing can cause it if you're flying low. At first I thought a HAM license was just so you could show a piece of paper to the authorities, but I'm starting to think it'll provide me with a whole bunch of useful knowledge.
rogueqd

Postby bmsweb » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:42 am

I still have my dad's old Ham books it might be time to start reading up :lol:
bmsweb

Postby rogueqd » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:47 am

rogueqd

Postby Oops » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:48 pm

I got the 5.8G 500mW which has the fan added and a seperate circuit board. My plan was to mount the antenna with the big headsink (and some electronics) in the slipstream, remove the fan and mount the (exposed) circuitboard on the inside. It has a plug which would give me just enough wiring to mount it behind the wing with the circuit board protected inside. I intend to put a micro switch in the power supply to the transmitter and switch it on moments before launch and switch it off right after landing (or use a free channel for that).

Bruce or anyone else, any comments?
Oops

Postby francoishaha » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:49 am

nice video rogueqd. does the illustrations are scaled?
francoishaha

Return to FPV