Turnigy 9X Programing

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Turnigy 9X Programing

Postby monkeyjay » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:32 am

Hi Guys
Would like to know A, What the hell are flaperons and how the work
b, How do i program the 9x to do it on a 4ch plane
c, Do i need them on a trainer or is it just for show
also I have orderd the batteries for the batt mod for the 9x, the balance charge leads on bruces discription wasnt that clear for me can some one go into more detail
Cheers Jay
monkeyjay

Re: Turnigy 9X Programing

Postby Sid Sideslip » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:10 am

monkeyjay wrote:Hi Guys
Would like to know A, What the hell are flaperons and how the work
b, How do i program the 9x to do it on a 4ch plane
c, Do i need them on a trainer or is it just for show
also I have orderd the batteries for the batt mod for the 9x, the balance charge leads on bruces discription wasnt that clear for me can some one go into more detail
Cheers Jay

Flaperons are a cool mix that you can do with modern computer r/c transmitters. All they do is combine an equal amount of down aileron on each wing that looks like lowering a pair of flaps, but still allows the ailerons to work as if they were in their normal position(-ish). So you get the increased lift, together with increased drag (think air brakes) you do with normal flaps but by using the ailerons instead. Works best with full wing-span ailerons, but does have some drawbacks, compared to more normal flaps/ailerons set-ups, or especially with a glider's ailerons, flaps and speed brakes.

As for programming the 9x for a 4 channel set-up. There is I think an OK guide on YouTube apparently, but to be honest I have not been able to watch it because the guy's first language is not English and he's so slow that I gave up.

Whatever, look up the er9x website and links here: http://code.google.com/p/er9x/

You do not need flaperons on a 4 channel trainer unless it is a electric assist glider of some sort where they may be useful for landing or getting down out of a strong updraft.

As for the balance set up with Bruce's $8 battery set up, yeah, If memory serves me right that could do with some clarification.
As could the reason why my batteries have not shown up after nearly a month of waiting from Bruce's recommended supplier. I gave up and bought some locally.
Last edited by Sid Sideslip on Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby kaptain_zero » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:13 pm

No, flapperons, or their alter ego, spoilerons, are not required on a trainer, and they may introduce other headaches that need to be accounted for during the programming (the aircraft might pitch in one direction or another when xxxxerons are deployed, thus requiring a third mix with the elevator control or some such).

I cannot say how it's done in the original Turnigy software but with ER9X it's quite simple. It's important to note that each aileron needs it's own servo to make this happen.

[Edit: I'll leave what I wrote in place for the ER9X software, but after posting, I decided to look at Richard's video that I post a link to further down, and realized that the video I selected is about adding 3 levels of FLAPS in the original Tunrigy software, so perhaps it'll explain what you need if you are not using ER9X! Richard also shows a bunch of programing tricks in ER9X so subscribe to his channel... excellent stuff. ]

My example in ER9X:

CH4 100% AIL
+ 70% Max GEA
CH6 -100% AIL
+ 70% Max GEA

Now, if this all lines up in your window, it should be legible.

Channel 4 servo operates one aileron. Channel 6 operates the other one. I added a mix to each channel, using the switch marked gear and when the switch is engaged, it adds 70% up to each servo, thus my example would be for "Spoilerons", simply use -70% instead to make them flapperons. In ER9X you can link any switch or pot or stick to any other switch, pot or stick.... I think the original software is more restricted...

On the aircraft I was programming, I also have 2 rudders (F-22) and I've programed the rudder switch to add + and - 70% to the two rudder servos creating an air brake by having the two rudders move towards each other. The rudders will still respond to the rudder stick as the ailerons will to the aileron stick.

The best suggestion I have for doing these sorts of things is to make up a little board with a full complement of servoes (I just used the cheapest 9g servoes I could find), an 8 channel receiver and I added the smallest motor and esc I had so that I could program away on this board and see how things work out without actually playing with one of my models. An excellent view of such a board can be had in Richard's excellent series of videos for the 9x with ER9X software: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3Mw6jDlUzI

As for the balance lead.... again, I don't have any pictures to show how it's done, but it's quite simple really and I'll try to make a diagram:

cell #1.....cell #2
+{IIIIIIIIII}- +{IIIIIIIIII}-

The colors on the balance leads seem to vary depending on who made them, but the -V is always black (3) and the in between balance leads go to each +- connection (2) and the other edge wire opposite the black wire is connected to the + end (1) of the entire pack so the two outer wires display the full voltage of the entire pack. In this case using the middle wire and either of the outer wires will read the one cell on either side.

It's hard to draw this with characters as spaces are ignored so I had to use periods instead of spaces, please ignore them. The two battery cells are shown connected in series so if you use a voltmeter and measure between 1 and 3 you will get the full voltage of say 7.4V. If you measure between 1 and 2 OR 2 and 3 you will get 3.6V. So on our 3 wire balance plug, the black wire goes to 3, the middle wire goes to the wire that connects between the two cells @2 and wire on the other edge of the plug goes to 1.

I hope this helps,

Regards

Christian
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby rogueqd » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:52 am

re: Flaperons

The 9x has all sorts of predefined menus to add that kind of thing, but I found it easier to just use the custom mixes. My right (from rear) wing is in Ch 1 and my left wing is in Ch 7.

These mixes will give you proportional flapprons controlled by the PIT TRIM knob above the left stick and activated by putting the 3 position switch in to the middle position. You can also add proportional Elevator with the HOV THRO knob above the right stick. I did it this way as I'm still playing with exactly how much flaps and elevator I want to add.

Obviously check the controls move as expected while your plane is on the ground. Start with small amounts of flaps and centered elevator for your first test in the air.

First go to AUX-CH (just press Up once). Assign Ch 6 to PIT TRIM and Ch 8 to HOV THRO.

Then go to PROG.MIX and define these mixes...

Note that there are two "AUX"s in the programming. When setting Master or Slave the order of controls is:
AUX AUX FLP GYR RUD THR ELE AIL
I'll refer to them as Ch 7 and Ch 8. Be careful to ensure you select the correct one. (Ch 7 is one press left from FLP, Ch 8 will not beep when you press Left again)

Mix 1: The initial 2 servo Aileron mix
State: ACT
Master: AIL
Slave: AUX (Ch 7)
Offset: 000
Uprate: 100
Dnrate: 100
SW: ON (always active)

Mix 2: Right Flapperon
Master: FLP
Slave: AIL
Uprate: -100
Dnrate: -100
SW: ID1

Mix 3: Left Flapperon
Master: FLP
Slave: AUX (Ch 7)
Dnrate: 100

Mix 4: Elevator mix
Master: AUX (Ch 8)
Slave: ELE
Dnrate: 000 (You'd think this should be 100, but 000 works for me, not sure why)
rogueqd

Postby Kozmyk » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:34 pm

I find that Richard Mrazek's first language NOT being English is a good thing.
The fact that he has to talk slower gives my brain time to catch up with what he's explaining. ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2UT1pFcYhM
Good on'im I say. :geek:

PS
I bunged him a few bucks on his site as well, for his trouble.
After all He's the one beavering away in the eastern European country.
Kozmyk

Postby bmsweb » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:00 pm

Kozmyk wrote:I find that Richard Mrazek's first language NOT being English is a good thing.

Yes his Tutorials are fantastic!
bmsweb

Postby monkeyjay » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:41 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. but we all gone skuiffy i just screwed my tr9x trying to solder in the resistor for.the battery mod. gotta buy a new one now unless anyone has a replacement lower board
monkeyjay

Postby Sid Sideslip » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:54 pm

monkeyjay wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. but we all gone skuiffy i just screwed my tr9x trying to solder in the resistor for.the battery mod. gotta buy a new one now unless anyone has a replacement lower board

Aw man, sorry to hear that.

If you do get either a spare board or another 9x, do yourself a favour and also by a screw on programmer board and backlight kit from SmartyParts, then you have a mini-usb connection that slots neatly into the battery compartment with no glue or screws needed and you can flash the er9x firmware... and no need for any soldering, especially that tricky little resistor.

The new firmware is fabulous and means you can program all your models on the computer instead of the Tx and you can of course set the level for the low voltage alarm.
Sid Sideslip

Postby monkeyjay » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:02 pm

cheers sid do you have the web address for them the google results are just bringing up rubbish
monkeyjay

Postby Sid Sideslip » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:23 pm

monkeyjay wrote:cheers sid do you have the web address for them the google results are just bringing up rubbish

Here ya go. :D

http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=331

Steven Morehouse is the guy there behind this board. He also posts on RCGroups and is very helpful if you run into any problems.

Just one tip...when installing the lcd backlight, use a tiny bit of tape to hold it in place, as it tends to slide around while you put the mainboard back in. There is a good set of instruction on the SmartyParts website to show you how to install the programmer card.
Sid Sideslip

Next

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)