Review: Turnigy 9X version 2 (FHSS).

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Re: Review: Turnigy 9X version 2 (FHSS).

Postby FlyingTiger » Mon May 23, 2011 10:23 pm

DSCN02081.jpg
DSCN02081.jpg (32.22 KiB) Viewed 21929 times
New question!
I have discovered 2 rows of dead pixels on my Turnigy 9x display. I have submitted a service request to HobbyKing asking for a replacement. What is the general feeling of how responsive they are to requests like this? Should I be hopeful or resigned to living with a bad display?
Gear up and locked!
FlyingTiger

Postby John_Edward » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:02 am

FlyingTiger wrote:New question!
I have discovered 2 rows of dead pixels on my Turnigy 9x display. I have submitted a service request to HobbyKing asking for a replacement. What is the general feeling of how responsive they are to requests like this? Should I be hopeful or resigned to living with a bad display?

That could just be a bad connection.
The screen is connected to the PCB with a thin ribbon cable that goes to a plug, check that it is correctly and completely secured.
It is the connector is in the upper middle part of the lower PCB, left of the (B) connector: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/catalog/Step2(2).jpg
Humanity is conformity
Conformity is society
Society is this reality
John_Edward

Postby Kozmyk » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:53 am

I've had one item go back to HK on RMA, A Quanum telemetry system.
I had to mail it back and after they'd had it a few days they credited me for value of the item.
That meant that I lost to the value of the original postage AND the return cost.
If they had replaced the item it would have been fairer.

I reordered the Quanum system from a UK supplier the 2nd time around, even tough it cost me more.
I wasn't going to reward HK for their tight fisted returns policy.
Kozmyk

Postby jackalope » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:33 pm

Realizing that most people only post complaints, I thought I would post something a little positive. My first V2 would not bind. I emailed Hobby King and got a response the next day (They "Are" on the other side of the planet so I imagine they are asleep when we are emailing away at them"). They said they wanted more information (I worked for an Asian company once and this seems to be a "Cultural response" like the same way we say "Sorry about that". It is frustrating to us but they don't mean any harm).

Rather then fool with customer service I sent it back to the Washington service center that Hobby King has now. It didn't cost much. They contacted me by email maybe a week later and said that they had the unit and asked if I wanted a replacement or credit. A refund was going to take extra steps. I had originally asked for a refund but had cooled off and was ready to try again. They shipped another radio from China and it arrived about ten days later. I got a follow up email and thank you from Hobby King Customer Service after it arrived. The replacement unit works perfectly.

There is a saying in the motorcycle world, if you have a $20 head, a $20 helmet is just fine. You get what you pay for. This is not Tower Hobbies level of service, but it is darn good for the price of the products and the fact that they are half way around the globe. This was the first thing that I have bought from Hobby King and had a problem with and I feel that they responded quite respectably. I will not hesitate to do business with them again.
jackalope

Postby Coverdown » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:37 pm

My Turnigy 9X version 2 is about 7 months old, and it has many hours of use on it (mostly sim time).
Here is my report so far:

1. After many hours the aileron pot started to act weird.
I cleaned it and made sure it was reassembled correctly (bend the retaining lips back as tight as possible)
It works fine now.
2. Now the rudder pot is starting to act weird.
Probably the same as the other pot.
This time I`m gonna do all remaining pots.
3. LCD now has the familiar lines dead.
Probably a lose contact (haven`t checked yet).

I`m still happy with it, as I knew what I was getting into.
Coverdown

Postby VirginiaJim » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:40 am

Sorry. These are newbie questions regarding the Tunigy 9x V2 transmitter/receiver. Couldn't find them in the thread, so here goes:

1) I have a Turnigy LED night lighting system that includes a Futaba-style servo connector for power.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... oduct=8850
I would like to hook these lights to my Turnigy 8ch receiver on channel 5 so that when I activate/deactivate the landing gear switch, the lights will toggle on/off.

I have seen comments suggesting that the configuration for channels greater than 4 has not been done for this Transmitter. What do I need to do? Is it possible to accomplish this by simply connecting the power leads to the correct channel on the receiver? I could not make it work. What am I doing wrong?

2) In another forum I read that good quality tx/rx systems have a provision for preventing a transmitter from running a receiver if that receiver was bound for a different airplane/glider/heli model. For example if I bind my Turnigy 8ch receiver to the transmitter while using the model 1 definition, and I bind the HK-6A 6ch reciever to my transmitter using the model 2 definition, and I bind the HK 3ch receiver to the model 3 definition,if I have the wrong model selected, it will not connect with a receiver when the wrong model is selected. It seems that my Turnigy 9x receiver works with any of the 3 airplane models I have defined so far is active. Does this mean that this transmitter doesn't have this safety feature?

3) I have seen several comments and questions regarding the unsoldering of the Turnigy RF module antenna and connecting it to an antenna connector. Has such a system worked successfully? What connectors were used? (web link). I assume this system would involve placing the antenna connector on the back of the Turnigy RF module so that each module carries its own antenna. Please provide details.

Thanks for your suggestions/solutions.

VJ
Viva la old farts! Flying when I die!
VirginiaJim

Postby Keith » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:23 am

I believe any rx switched on will be activated by the tx if it has been bound... I see a mental picture of someone turning up a the flying field with a car full of models... He has them all switched on and takes one to the flying area and takes off... He is happily flying around oblivious to whats going on in his car...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby Willage » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:50 am

This TX is also sold under the flysky brand. Does anyone know if it will bind with the flysky 6ch receivers?

I have several of thes receivers and want to still be able to use them.

Please advise.
Thanks
Willage
Willage

Postby Keith » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:54 am

Yes it will... I have 2 eight channel and 5 six channel, all work perfect... I believe the 3 channel Rx also works...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby VirginiaJim » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:31 pm

I have a Turnigy 9x V2, and have been using it with the 8ch Turnigy and 3ch Hobby King (HK-GT2_RX) receivers without problems (other than the missing line display), but I received this week the 6ch Hobby King HK-T6A-V2 receiver and got the following results when I tried to bind and use with my Turnigy 9x Tx:

1) Appeared to bind successfully (supplied power to via ESC servo plug to ch3 on RX, bat, bind plug in BAT port, and hold down Range test button on TX while turning on the Tx). The red Rx LED went from flashing to solid on. I released the Tx range test button, turned off the receiver, removed the bind plug, and turned off the Tx.

2) Then I turned on the Tx, and powered up the receiver with servos connected. The Rx bind LED was solid red, but the receiver continued to emit a series of evenly spaced beeps as long as I left it on.

Any suggestions how to complete the bind or does it look like I got a bum receiver?

VJ :cry:
Viva la old farts! Flying when I die!
VirginiaJim

PreviousNext

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers