Prevew: Turnigy 9X version 2

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Prevew: Turnigy 9X version 2

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:12 am

This (p)review can be found here on the RCModelReviews website.

Have you bought one of the new "version 2" systems?

How is it working?

Any bugs?

Have you flown with the new V2 2.4GHz module receiver?

Any issues?
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: Prevew: Turnigy 9X version 2

Postby brunors » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:08 am

I have purchased just 2 units of this TX in HK. I am waiting fot that to arrive here in Brazil in order to take my conclusions.
brunors

Postby joanwa » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:44 pm

Hello,
great reviews on your page! So far the v2 has no bugs, well "model" has the abbreviation mode... very confusing.
But the manufacturing is very careless.
You should check out the alternative Software from "Thus": http://code.google.com/p/th9x/ which is a great enhancement and offers customizable programming that is not even available at high priced transmitter. Maybe you have a chance and review this software as well (requires some soldering and a avr isp programmer).
For some close-up inside pictures of the v2, have a look at the thread in the german forum
http://www.rclineforum.de/forum/thread. ... ge=44&sid=

It would be really interesting to see wether the in-build 2.4ghz module now has fhss or uses alternative frequencies...

Best,
Johannes
joanwa

Postby Bullitt5094 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:35 am

If you haven't even received this product, how can you already be giving it such a negative review? It's Version TWO! You know zero about it and are jumping to a conclusion with no facts about version two. There are similar configurations that work great. The Corona module and receivers I'm currently using in 4 Trex 450s and a Trex 500 (all belt driven) have demonstrated NO glitches, resets or any other problems despite well documented static discharge problems on all of these models. The Corona has the same type of single module receiver configuration as the Turnigy.
I'm not saying you are wrong. Only that you don't have any facts to back-up this negative review. Don't you think you should wait until you have some experience with the latest version and maybe even some empirical data, before you trash a product ??!!
Bullitt5094

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:11 am

Bullitt5094 wrote:If you haven't even received this product, how can you already be giving it such a negative review?

It's a *preview* and, if you read the article you'd see that I clearly state "Until I get my hands on the new version, what follows is simply speculation and should be treated as such".

However, it is fairly informed speculation, based on information users have related to me and my observations of the original V1 system.

It's Version TWO! You know zero about it and are jumping to a conclusion with no facts about version two.

As above.

There are similar configurations that work great. The Corona module and receivers I'm currently using in 4 Trex 450s and a Trex 500 (all belt driven) have demonstrated NO glitches, resets or any other problems despite well documented static discharge problems on all of these models. The Corona has the same type of single module receiver configuration as the Turnigy.

And the Corona receiver is about 8 times as sensitive as the FlySky one so it is far more capable of picking up a useful signal when hit with multi-pathing or shadowing.

I'm not saying you are wrong. Only that you don't have any facts to back-up this negative review. Don't you think you should wait until you have some experience with the latest version and maybe even some empirical data, before you trash a product ??!!

As i said -- this is speculation but it is *informed* speculation.

I really don't expect too much from a $9 receiver.

I've ordered a review unit from HK and (providing it's not tied up in the delays that a growing number of people are reporting), we'll know for sure in a week or so.
RCModelReviews

Postby rafit » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:00 pm

Something like "new software" from Turningy is only marketing speech.

If you really want to change software use:
http://code.google.com/p/th9x/
or
http://radioclone.org/

I get software v2 dump from the post http://www.rclineforum.de/forum/thread. ... r=&page=42 and compared it with my own v1. - NO DIFFERENCES!
rafit

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:20 pm

Yes, there' ll soon be a DIY support page on the RCModelReviews website where I will provide info on those other software options and may even start work on my own.

I'd like to integrate the FrSky 2-way system into the 9X radio and use the 9X's LCD for displaying that info.

Of course it all depends on how much of the little atmel processor's resources are free as to whether that can be easily achieved. I'd also like to make an inbuilt USB interface so that the radio could be more easily reflashed or programmed from a laptop or desktop.

Given the low price of these radios, it may well be easier to create Heli-firmware and fixed-wing firmware as separate options -- thus allowing each to offer more comprehensive features.

There's a lot of potential with this radio for those who want to write their own code.
RCModelReviews

Postby jay-pheno » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:20 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:Yes, there' ll soon be a DIY support page on the RCModelReviews website where I will provide info on those other software options and may even start work on my own.

I'd like to integrate the FrSky 2-way system into the 9X radio and use the 9X's LCD for displaying that info.

Of course it all depends on how much of the little atmel processor's resources are free as to whether that can be easily achieved. I'd also like to make an inbuilt USB interface so that the radio could be more easily reflashed or programmed from a laptop or desktop.

Given the low price of these radios, it may well be easier to create Heli-firmware and fixed-wing firmware as separate options -- thus allowing each to offer more comprehensive features.

There's a lot of potential with this radio for those who want to write their own code.

i just bought this radio with full expectations of flashing 3rd party firmware to it .
for such a cheap price i dont see a problem with it , makes modding and tweaking it not so scary .
i originally found this site after reading up on the new frsky 2-way system an thought man that would be cool to get an mod it into my new Turnigy 9X ,,, i hope you can get to it ,, would really be kickass then !
jay-pheno

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:14 pm

jay-pheno wrote: i originally found this site after reading up on the new frsky 2-way system an thought man that would be cool to get an mod it into my new Turnigy 9X ,,, i hope you can get to it ,, would really be kickass then !

Yes, I'm thinking that the DIY module will be a good option for the 9X radio, thus dispensing with the second 2.4Ghz antenna that you'd otherwise have poking out of the module.

It's just a shame that FlySky are so useless when it comes to supporting this radio. If they got behind the open-source side of things it'd only improve the sales of their product and the reputation of their brand.

The last email I sent them bounced and previous ones have never gotten much response.

It looks as if we're on our own with this radio.

Interestingly enough, I have received reports that the Turnigy V2 software is no different to the original Turnigy software. Hmmm...

I'll try to verify this myself when my new V2 9X arrives. It's currently still "processing" (now 48hrs+)
RCModelReviews

Postby Karl » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:50 am

Hi all,

Received my x9 v2 on the 12th, this is my first 2.4 and first programmable TX so I know little of "how it should be"
The unit physically and mechanically is solid feels nice in the hand and the switches and dials are all relatively easy to get to for my short fingers - basically the "feel" seems to be the same as reported for the v1 - no surprises really, must be the same casing.

Software wise, the function of the +/- and up/down takes a little to get use to because as with what I have read about the v1 they seem to be the opposite of what you expect, i.e. expected + to be right or up but its actually left or down, not really a major.

Having the aerial built in for me was cool, I just like it visually but it bugged me to find out (via this website) that the module is soldered to it - Really looking forward to your mods section for this TX Bruce, I have already got a list of mods that I would like to do and hope that you post instructions for ($10 LiPo, FrSky 2way, Utilizing the inbuilt aerial, USB connection).

As for the operation of the module and RX, I have it in a model but have only bench tested. Binding was easy, if the model lost power and then had power restored there was very little delay in regaining control, when the TX was powered off then back on there was a reboot delay of less that 1 sec (though I didnt really time this) then full control resumed. As for range - at least 13m! (the distance from the workbench to the other end of the hallway).

As for postage, just to let you know it took approximately 5-6days to get from order to door for me - I am very happy with that.

Hope this wets the appetite for the up coming review.
Karl

Next

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers