FrSky V8R4 receiver range?

Nicad, NiMH, Lithium, A123? If it's transmitter or receiver batteries you want to talk about, do it in this forum.

Re: FrSky V8R4 receiver range?

Postby disco stu » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:00 am

But at this wavelength, one mm would put it outside the quarter of wavelength for the range of frequencies wouldn't it?
disco stu

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:05 am

I've found that the antenna length on these receivers is a little variable but doesn't seem to affect the range very much.

Ideally it should be tuned to about 2.440GHz which is near the middle of the band but I've flown some that came short and some that came long without worrying about it and without any range issues.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Oops » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:34 pm

Yesterday I managed just over 2200 meter and about 200 meters up with the FrSky and while the transmitter complained (beeped) I didn't notice any loss of signal. The OSD didn't show the RTL which would have meant that the failsafe would have kicked in. I don't know how much further I could have gone.

However, behind trees, buildings etc, and low to the ground the transmitter does beep when even a few hunderd meters away.

The two antennas stick out the side of the fusulage and are roughly 90 dergrees. I had the feeling that this was required?
Oops

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:41 pm

Just make sure one of the antennas is vertically oriented and the other horizontal -- that'll give you maximum range.

2.4GHz is attenuated by buildings, trees, etc but if you can't see the plane (because it's flown behind a hill) then there's not much value to still having radio-control.

Even if you're flying FPV, most video systems won't work when your model disappears behind a major obstruction so having an RC link is not a whole lot of use.
RCModelReviews

Postby kaptain_zero » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:30 am

RCModelReviews wrote:Just make sure one of the antennas is vertically oriented and the other horizontal -- that'll give you maximum range.

Bruce, I think you need to clarify that. The V8R4 (4 channel) only has the single pigtail antenna, not the dual antennas that you would indeed mount 1 vertically and one horizontally.... Someone just skimming through your post might think you meant that you should have the single receiver antenna in one orientation and the transmitter antenna in the other orientation for maximum range and I don't think you would have meant that.

Regards

Christian
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:40 am

Oh... this was with the 4-channel V8R4? 2Kms is pretty good going -- I don't think you'll get better than that.
RCModelReviews

Postby disco stu » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:54 am

It is the title :lol:
disco stu

Postby kaptain_zero » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:32 am

Hmm... re reading back a few posts I see Oops was posting results from a dual antenna/telemetry receiver and not a V8R4 so technically, Bruce's comments were correct in that instance. However, the title of this thread refers to the V8R4 and that's why I felt we needed to clarify Bruce's reply.

Regards

Christian
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby rogueqd » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:17 am

RCModelReviews wrote:Just make sure one of the antennas is vertically oriented and the other horizontal -- that'll give you maximum range.
I have my transmitter antenna pointing horizontally towards my right, and have my receivers antennas along the base of the fuselage and along the left wing just behind the leading edge. Should I change the fuselage one so it's vertical?
rogueqd

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:26 am

It's always good to have one vertical and one horizontal so as to avoid encountering the situation where your transmitter antenna is cross-polarized when compared to your receiver antennas. Such a situation can cause a significant loss of range (albeit only for as long as the antennas are crossed).

However, you're getting good range as it is so one of my other theories is: if it works, don't fix it :-)
RCModelReviews

PreviousNext

Return to Receiver/transmitter Batteries