Spektrum DSMX

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Re: Spektrum DSMX

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:23 pm

The entire 2.4GHz hand is around 80MHz wide and I'm not aware of any current chipset that would support that degree of spreading.

The thing is that modern frequency-agile 2.4GHz RC gear is about as bullet-proof as you can get (without spending a *lot* more money).

It's kind of like saying "why don't Bugatti increase the top speed of the Veyron from 431.07 km/h to 500km/h?"

Simple -- 431km/h is probably fast enough for 99.999% of customers and who would want to pay another $250K for the extra 70km/h or so?

Remember -- perfection is the enemy of "good enough" :-)
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:02 am

Good to see that Andy from Spektrum still can't concede an inch when it comes the me and my opinions of Spektrum equipment, check out post #10929 in this thread at RCG.

Yes Andy, as you'll see from other postings to that thread *some* of us *do* like to have gear and flaps on a slider, even if it's not "the Spektrum way".

Ooops... there's me being a grumpy old man again :roll:
RCModelReviews

Postby rogueqd » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:59 am

I wonder if there's some kind of patent issue that prevents them from adding sliders. Maybe that's why they're so defensive about it?
rogueqd

Postby Sid Sideslip » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:22 am

rogueqd wrote:I wonder if there's some kind of patent issue that prevents them from adding sliders. Maybe that's why they're so defensive about it?

I doubt it. Besides, the sliders can be programmed for anything so there is not much to patent there. Also, they can be moved a bit to prevent direct copying issues.

As a point of interest, on full sized gliders like the venerable Blanik, the flaps and speed brakes are operated by sliders (to the left in the photo). Unfortunately, they are close to each other in the Blanik, which can lead to confusion and some "interesting" landings. And yes, I hit the wrong one once. :oops:

Last edited by Sid Sideslip on Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:23 am

I don't think there are any patents -- Futaba, JR, Hitec and a few other brands offer them.

It's probably because the DX8 has never been aimed at the glider market and Spektrum has come from humble beginnings with a focus on simple BNF models which really have no use at all for sliders. Perhaps it just never occurred to them that the market would want them. Instead of saying "they're a good idea but we don't have them" they engage in the same old BS that they've been doing all along - pretending that they are the oracle and everyone else is totally wrong.

They could do with some *real* PR people at Horizon/Spektrum who understand the importance of honesty and integrity.
RCModelReviews

Postby rogueqd » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:56 am

Any chance of a "Slider Mod for the Turnigy 9x" video? :)
rogueqd

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:38 am

Yeah, if the 9X had sliders then, once reflashed with the ER9X software, I could throw my JR 9XII/9303 away altogether!
RCModelReviews

Postby Allan Warner » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:41 am

Bruce,
Interesting about the amount of noise that FHSS systems can tollerate. Have you done any testing to determine the level/power of out of band RF energy that can be tolerated before the RC RX front end is blocked/shuts down and control is lost. I ask because there has been some discussion on a UK site of incidents when flying close to mobile phone masts. It would appear that we have a number working in the 2.1gHz range. IIRC they are working at an o/p of 29.5dbW.
Thanks for your time.
Allan Warner

Postby ergocentric » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:14 pm

yup, total transmitted power is a limit
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Postby RyanNX211 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:04 pm

It's a shame that Spektrum responded to your impartial reviews the way they did. But in a way, it's understandable. The Futaba factory pilots who used to stop by the[url][url] hobby shop[/url][/url] at the AMA site in Indiana used to say they had instructions from Tower and Futaba to talk up every crash or mishap they witnessed with Spektrum. And given that they had such a big portion of the market, the opportunities were great no matter how good or bad the system was.
RyanNX211

PreviousNext

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers