The 2.4GHz module;/receiver shootout results

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

The 2.4GHz module;/receiver shootout results

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu May 06, 2010 7:16 am

Well there you have it, the results are in for 2.4GHz Module/receiver shootout

What do you think?

What are your experiences with the products reviewed?

Do you have any comments on the article?

Share your opinions here...
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: The 2.4GHz module;/receiver shootout results

Postby coronarc.nz » Thu May 06, 2010 9:16 am

Hi Bruce, great to see the results side by side. Obviously I'm slightly biased as I'm bringing the Corona DSSS systems in and doing quite a few DIY conversions as well. While they don't have a persistant failsafe, in my entire modelling life I've never had it, so I don't miss it! I've been using the Corona DSSS system in all my slope models almost exclusively for the last 8 months or so, since your initial review. So far, i'm very happy to report that the system has not failed whilst in flight or on the ground for that matter. It does have some idiosyncracies in that it doesn't always link up first time around when you turn the system on, but once on it seems very reliable and I certainly can't argue with the price. I am also in regular contact with the guys at the Corona office in China and I keep them informed with any issues that I become aware of. I have sent receivers back to them for checking and they did discover faults in one of them, and repaired it. Hopefully the fact that products are being returned for repair rather than just thrown away may help them to gradually improve the product over time.
As can be seen by the Spectrum AR500 receiver issues you have pointed out, even the bigger brand systems can have issues that need some attention. With this sort of service that you are doing (Great job by the way!) at least buyers can go in to the buying process with eyes open as to how well the product works.
Now this is really going to sound like a sales push, but (lol)...
If you are looking at buying a Corona DSSS system from out of Hobbyking or similar and you are in New Zealand, then it might pay to drop me a line first as I might be able to save you a week or two in transit time. I am also offering product support (out of my own pocket...) so if the product is (heaven forbid) faulty, unlike Hobbyking's return policy, I will replace the product, and I can give technical assistance too.
I know that Corona do have some new systems in the pipeline and they do seem very happy to send gear to Bruce for review as an independant unbiased opinion, which I see as a positive sign that this company will go places. I know from discussions with them that after reading Bruces information they are looking where to go next, so I also look forward to seeing what they have to offer. I might even ask for some reader input in the near future for suggestions to pass on...
Roger
coronarc.nz@gmail.com
coronarc.nz

Postby jomarx » Thu May 06, 2010 9:19 am

Nice review!

It just proved to me that the Futaba/FrSky combo is really a good buy!

Even though I'm just new to the hobby, the features that FrSky offers is just top notch AND most of all, its CHEAP! :D
jomarx

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu May 06, 2010 9:30 am

coronarc.nz wrote:Hi Bruce, great to see the results side by side. Obviously I'm slightly biased as I'm bringing the Corona DSSS systems in and doing quite a few DIY conversions as well. While they don't have a persistant failsafe, in my entire modelling life I've never had it, so I don't miss it! I've been using the Corona DSSS system in all my slope models almost exclusively for the last 8 months or so, since your initial review. So far, i'm very happy to report that the system has not failed whilst in flight or on the ground for that matter. It does have some idiosyncracies in that it doesn't always link up first time around when you turn the system on, but once on it seems very reliable and I certainly can't argue with the price.

Yes, as I said in the article, all the systems I tested worked perfectly adequately and each has its strengths and weaknesses.

There are many thousands of satisfied Corona users all over the world however, the product's early entry into the market is now a little bit of a handicap, as other manufacturers have added additional features (such as persistent failsafe, power-down range-test, telemetry, etc) in recent times.

No doubt Corona will come back with a new product with these features and it's obvious that the 2.4GHz market is constantly playing a game of leapfrog.

I know that Corona do have some new systems in the pipeline and they do seem very happy to send gear to Bruce for review as an independant unbiased opinion, which I see as a positive sign that this company will go places. I know from discussions with them that after reading Bruces information they are looking where to go next, so I also look forward to seeing what they have to offer. I might even ask for some reader input in the near future for suggestions to pass on...

When I see new products from any of the vendors, I'll review them and publish the results.

The current shootout results are a snapshot of how things stand at the moment, in six months time it could be quite different.
RCModelReviews

Postby coronarc.nz » Thu May 06, 2010 9:34 am

Also, for users of the Futaba and Hitec type modules, I have come across these http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =287477508 on trademe. Basically they are a nicely machined pair of Aluminium fingers that clamp onto the carry handle and stop the tx box from resting on the aerial if the TX leands back...
coronarc.nz

Postby Fly2High » Thu May 06, 2010 12:13 pm

Does FrSky have a website with a list of current vendors of their products?

If not, can we ask them to create one?

I live in New York and am worried about making the leap and purchasing some of their equipment only because they are not locally (in US) available .... yet.

If I knew of other places besides, say HiModel.com (HK), it would put my mind at ease as to availability. It kills me a bit to spend $20-$25 on a receiver only to have to spend $10-$20 on shipping! It would not be real practical to purchase one or two receivers at the expense shipping is. Granted, they are still cheaper than most US available stuff but if every penny counts, I have to do what I can.

Thanks

Frank
Fly2High

Postby vane » Thu May 06, 2010 5:10 pm

Got the JR FrSky module and receiver for my x 347 and have my first plane rigged up, now waiting for the calm weather! I will be flying the heck out of this plane, trying it in all orentations etc before I trust it in anything more than a rudder elevator model, it is not the quality, I just want to be sure that it won't demolish the plane a i have spent over a year making wont bite the dust first time it flies. It may be good but there will almost certainly be bugs or coding gaps, leading to the set freezing.

I was intending to review the set for a magazine and have already written half the review (1,100 words) and spent the £40 on the module with the sole purpose of reviewing it, but it turns out for a review to be done, it has to be asked for by the company :(

[url]FrSky-rc.com[/url]
vane

Postby kneedrag » Thu May 06, 2010 6:08 pm

There is a distributor in America according to the Fr-Sky page.

http://www.frsky-rc.com/News_View.asp?NewsID=4

America
Quest Engineering & Development, Inc.
www.QuestEngDev.com
www.Smart-Fly.com
Tel: (480) 460-2652
FAX: (480) 460-2653
Suite B/8 6125 South Ash Avenue Tempe, AZ 85283
kneedrag

Postby Merf » Fri May 07, 2010 10:59 am

An alternative perspective on the Hitec module with the cable running between the module and the antenna, is that this setup can be used to your advantage. I attached velcro to the antenna base, and to the back of my Futaba 9C Tx. This allows me to place the 2.4 antenna where it is most convenient and well protected by the Tx handle. Swapping between the 2.4 Hitec module and the Futaba 72 mhz modules is now a simple and quick process, and I don't have to live with an awkward antenna position dictated by the module manufacturer.
Merf

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri May 07, 2010 8:16 pm

I've had quite a few emails from people who've asked "Why didn't you do a comprehensive review of the Futaba?" or "Why didn't you review the Airtronics?" in your shootout?

Well the answer is simple.

I emailed these companies and invited them to submit a product for review but got no response.

I hunted around for radios that I could borrow but there's no sign of Airtronics in New Zealand and nobody around here with a Futaba that they could lend for a week or so.

The 2.4GHz market is a rapidly changing one and there are some exciting new radios now on the market (Aurora 9, JR 11X, the Airtronics SD10, etc) so I'd really like to regularly revisit the whole area.

To this end, if you'd like to see these brands included in the next roundup, drop the respective manufacturers/distributors an email and ask they why they're not making gear available for review.

Hitec have offered to provide an Aurora 9 with the next firmware release (apparently this includes some "must have" functionality) so they're obviously confident that their product will fare well. Will Futaba, JR, Airtronics et al be just as confident?

I'm pretty sure that if enough people ask, the "brand names" will make their products available for review and that means they'll also to into the prize-pool for some lucky readers to win.
RCModelReviews

Next

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers