Lowest legal video frequency

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

Lowest legal video frequency

Postby Mark Hitchman » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:41 am

Hey guys, I was wondering what the lowest legal video frequency was in New Zealand? I am flying 1010mhz at the moment which works very well but thought I might change to something legal for a change :)

Thanks

Mark
Mark Hitchman

Re: Lowest legal video frequency

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:59 am

NZ hasn't got a lot of options.

If you're a Ham radio operator you can use some space in the 900MHz band (I think) but not any of the stock channels that the "off the shelf" 900MHz systems use.

You can use 2.4GHz -- but that's pretty much useless, given that you (or someone flying near you) will almost certainly be using 2.4GHz RC gear.

I'm sticking with 5.8GHz and having great success.

As part of the FPV series, I'll be showing how to set up two receivers, one hooked to a hi-gain receiver antenna for distance-flying and the other to an omnidirectional antenna for take-off and landing.

To check/demo it all, I'll be doing a 5Km flight to a local landmark using a 200mW 5.8GHz video system.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Oops » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:14 pm

[color=#0040FF]As part of the FPV series, I'll be showing how to set up two receivers, one hooked to a hi-gain receiver antenna for distance-flying and the other to an omnidirectional antenna for take-off and landing.

To check/demo it all, I'll be doing a 5Km flight to a local landmark using a 200mW 5.8GHz video system.[/quote]
[/color]

Bruce, have you done this. If so where can I find it. I am interested in exactly something like that.

Thanks.
Oops

Postby ergocentric » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:38 pm

This sounds like fun, but around here:

2500 ft up is controlled airspace, international airport
4 km from a local airport, they overfly us all the time
1 km from the local hospital heli pad

I thought I was moving to the country...
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:38 pm

Oops wrote:[color=#0040FF]As part of the FPV series, I'll be showing how to set up two receivers, one hooked to a hi-gain receiver antenna for distance-flying and the other to an omnidirectional antenna for take-off and landing.

To check/demo it all, I'll be doing a 5Km flight to a local landmark using a 200mW 5.8GHz video system.
[/color]

Bruce, have you done this. If so where can I find it. I am interested in exactly something like that.

Thanks.[/quote]
Yep.

All that's needed is a diversity switch to automatically change between the receivers. I've already started doing a video and webpage article on this. Should be done in a couple of weeks.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Oops » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:57 pm

Thanks, look forward to that.
Oops

Postby rogueqd » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:14 pm

Slightly off topic, but what RC receiver are you using in the plane? Will FrSky make it out to 5km?
rogueqd

Postby Oops » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:31 pm

With the stock antennas I had it out to just over 2.2km (about 200 meters up, clear terrain) and the ~2x per second beeping was constant but still no control glitches nor did the RTL activate. I presume with the right antennas you could get way further. But I am not the expert.
Oops

Postby QiW » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:58 am

i am flying STOCK futaba fasst 2.4 with 1.16ghz video
best range with intermittent rc link loss is around 3.5km
here is the video is anyone is interested
square color blocks are due to video rendering ... recorded in low res and rendered into even smaller file for faster upload to YOUTUBE .. no stabilisation unit on board it was a calm day :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iltw4OFwGqc
QiW

Return to FPV