The eePe thread.

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

The eePe thread.

Postby Sid Sideslip » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:32 am

Oops wrote:Possibly we should start this topic in another area. It sounds something I should start working with: er9x using eePe and the simulator on Win XP Pro. I look it up. I presume I need to install the USB cable to the 9x radio, Sid? I have such cable but have not yet installed it.

Good idea Oops, so here it is, a thread devoted to using eePe.

As for connection, I assume you have the smartyparts board which comes with a mini usb port?

Here's my usb port, mounted in the battery compartment, plus the cable I use (off my camera, as it happens). When you want to load models, or flash the firmware, you just connect the 9x up to your confuser via usb without turning the Tx on. It gets powered by the cable.

What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Re: The eePe thread.

Postby rogueqd » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:32 am

My eePe didn't initialize any model memories when I first started it. It took be a while to realize all I had to do was click File -> New. lol Now it's great for mucking around with mixes.
rogueqd

Postby Sid Sideslip » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:46 am

rogueqd wrote:My eePe didn't initialize any model memories when I first started it. It took be a while to realize all I had to do was click File -> New. lol Now it's great for mucking around with mixes.

I had the same problem...had to ask on here how to get going. :lol:

In fact you don't even need to click on File -> New..just click on the icon on the extreme left. It's a great program, though the help file (aka the manual) is little more than an introduction and lacks a decent tutorial.
Sid Sideslip

Postby Oops » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:38 am

Thanks Sid. I wonder if I have the same cable because mine is a normal USB which sticks into the computer. Nope, its the FrSky USB cable, and no idea yet what to do with that yet :oops: So what is the Hobbyking equivalent of your cable or whoever sells this?
Oops

Postby kaptain_zero » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:50 am

Sid and I both have the Smartieparts board installed in our radios. It's a simple, screw in module that incorporates an avr chip programmer and backlight unit. It's not the cheapest way to go, but it IS simple to install.

http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index. ... cts_id=331

About the cheapest I've seen for programming cables is this one:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/370532286436?ssP ... 1423.l2649

But you are on your own and will have to do some searching and reading to figure out how to solder this cheap one in place in your radio.

Sid and I can help with the Smartieparts board though.

You need such and interface to reprogram the radio via a USB cable. EEPE will use the interface to install new software into your 9X.

Regards

Christian
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby Sid Sideslip » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:01 am

Oops wrote:Thanks Sid. I wonder if I have the same cable because mine is a normal USB which sticks into the computer. Nope, its the FrSky USB cable, and no idea yet what to do with that yet :oops: So what is the Hobbyking equivalent of your cable or whoever sells this?

You've lost me here. I was assuming you fitted the SmartyParts 9x Add-on Board with built-in Programmer and EL Backlight (link below image).

As you can see, this programmer board come with a mini usb connector which fits snugly in a slot in the battery compartment.

http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=331&zenid=cd7eb929f1e449dd661da6fadcd35cba

Btw, the FrSky usb cable if for flashing firmware upgrades on your FrskY DIY transmitter kit.
Sid Sideslip

Postby Oops » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:12 am

One of my replies has been lost somewhere. I do have the backlight kit installed. I presume I strip it out and put this in. Right, out comes the VISA. Isn't it nice that the Kiwi Dollar is so strong at the moment. Better make good use of that.
Oops

Postby Oops » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:23 am

Should be here in two weeks. Enough time to install the program.
Oops

Postby Sid Sideslip » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:25 am

Oops wrote:One of my replies has been lost somewhere. I do have the backlight kit installed. I presume I strip it out and put this in. Right, out comes the VISA. Isn't it nice that the Kiwi Dollar is so strong at the moment. Better make good use of that.

You won't regret getting one of these, they work a treat. Also, it's easy to install (use the instructions found on the website linked to below...tip, use a tiny bit of tape to hold the new backlight in place, as it insists on moving around when fitting the board).

http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index.php?main_page=page&id=9
Sid Sideslip

Postby Oops » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:42 am

Thanks Sid, I am convinced. I'll leave you my wife's number so you can do the sweet talking. She should be home soon ;-)
It appears that the USB is spot on in the same place as I have my 3-way switch, according to the instructions. But plenty of space with the 18650 3.2Amp Li-Ion batteries (which I haven't had to recharge since installing them new).
Oops

Next

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks