Servo nuts

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Servo nuts

Postby YoungSC » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:03 am

I've finished a build (or at least I thought) on my AXN Floater. The other day my daughter came in and handed me a small nut. I recognised it from my construction efforts and initially thought it was a spare that I hadn't packed away. I then considered that I'd been letting the kids play with the remote (under my close supervision) so they could see what effect control inputs would have on the plane. As an aside, it was amusing to see them jump when they whacked forward the throttle control. I was anticipating this so had my hand on the nose of the plane.

Anyway, I came to the conclusion that it may have been a nut that I had originally attached to the servo/control horn connector (or whatever the correct term is). This was confirmed by inspection as one of the aileron servos was sans nut.

Now research indicates that putting some CA on the nut should hold it in place, but I wanted to ask the question if there is a better way, or if there is a preferred product for getting the job done?

Thanks,

Simon

P.S. I am waiting for the wind to die down to an acceptable level later this week before taking the AXN out for its maiden flight.
YoungSC

Re: Servo nuts

Postby kaptain_zero » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:09 am

Simon,

CA will work... watch out if you are using thin stuff... it will wick through the threads and possibly lock up the whole joint... and don't ask me how I know that! Stick with thick CA and you should be fine.

Now, the correct item is a thread locking compound, and it should probably be the removable type if you ever want to get it apart again. Thread locking compound cures in the absence of oxygen so it won't cure where air had freedom to reach it. Thus, it shouldn't lock up the entire joint, just the threaded nut/screw part. Of course, this is not a perfect world......<sigh>, so don't hold ME responsible if things go bad. My choice (and I don't have any of it here so I'm using thick CA) would be for the removable thread locking compound.... any auto parts dealer should have it in stock locally.

Regards

Christian aka

Kaptain " I hope I didn't step in it!" Zero
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby YoungSC » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:38 am

Thanks mon capitan,

I had some CA glue that was gel based, but unfortunately I've un out. Should be easy enough to buy some more on the cheap.
YoungSC

Postby ergocentric » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:37 am

Thread lock and CA glue are almost the same, both available from Hobby King, CA glue is designed to hold forever, thread lock to have several grades of strength, get the removable.
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Postby rogueqd » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:07 am

I used hot glue. It's not as good as thread lock, but it seems to have done the job.
rogueqd

Postby kaptain_zero » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:25 am

To be brutally honest..... hot glue is a very good choice. It won't wick into the joint and yet it's easy to defeat when it comes time to take things apart. I salute you, sir!

Regards

Kaptain "Why the h*ll didn't I think of that?!?!" Zero
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby ergocentric » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:19 pm

rogueqd wrote:I used hot glue. It's not as good as thread lock, but it seems to have done the job.

excellent idea

taking it further I would also suggest white glue or wood glue (pretty much the same stuff as hot glue), as long as the parts aren't likely to rust
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Postby YoungSC » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:35 am

I'd been wanting to buy a hot glue gun for the expected foam repair and as a potential building tool. So I did.
YoungSC

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)