Which reviews would you pay $10 for?

If you want to see a product reviewed on RCModelReviews, make your suggestion here and, if there's enough interest, I'll see what I can do.

Which reviews should Bruce finish first?

FPV Clouds Fly
14%
Video Visor
14%
Electric Power Tutorial Series
20%
2.4Ghz Transmitter Comparisons
20%
Corflute Bi-plane
8%
Open Pilot vs Pipo Multi-copter builds/reviews
4%
Telemetry (Quanum and/or DIY)
8%
900Mhz video pro's/con's and retune to ISM
No votes
MPS60 vs ASP52 nitro engine comparison
4%
Test Equipment Videos
10%

Total votes : 51

Re: Which reviews would you pay $10 for?

Postby bmsweb » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:52 pm

Sid Sideslip wrote:Off topic, I forgot to comment on your last video thread. Thomas is a lucky kid to have you as a father. Having said that, I hope he gets good enough to drop a flour bomb on your nut real soon. :lol:

What a crack up!, I'm sure he would love to that too!! :lol:
bmsweb

Postby Jangy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:24 am

ACMECOX1 wrote:if i could i would click corflute biplane 10000000 times!

I posted my plans and picture of the corflute biplane viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1308
Jangy

Postby rogueqd » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:36 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:Good stuff... I've actually done a lot of those reviews but the time it takes to edit/format this stuff ready for the web/video is horrendous -- which is why I'm becoming a "full time" RC reviewer and "RC project guy".

As you'll see (also), I've just started posting new reviews (DX8/DSMX) and the flow should be thick and fast now.

Bruce, here's exactly the problem. You wrote this at the start of Sept 2011. It's now the start of Feb 2012, you've been a "full time" guy for a month, and none of the reviews you promised in 2011 have been completed.

Ok, I see you've made progress with the FPV series, and I understand that sometimes supply issues are our of your control. Although you are just shooting yourself in the foot by promising more videos, they seem like promises you can't or won't keep. Promises probably make you feel good, things are happening, look what you're going to do, soon. But when you don't actually do them they make you look like a dotty old man who just likes telling the same old stories to the kiddies. Head down bum up and don't made a single new promise until you've completely finished a video series, it doesn't matter which one, just finish something.
rogueqd

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:15 am

" But when you don't actually do them they make you look like a dotty old man who just likes telling the same old stories to the kiddies. Head down bum up and don't made a single new promise until you've completely finished a video series, it doesn't matter which one, just finish something".

Whoa there...... a creative mind is always disorganised.... although you're saying what we're thinking, it's unfair to expect Bruce to make good on all his promises in one month. The structure of the forums is also disorganised and allows a lot of useful information and promises to be lost in the "general noise" of a chaos its quite possible he won't even read these posts if someone else posts more recent ones, as older posts seem to get lost in the background.
Bruce probably could do with someone to organise him and structure his working day I know I could!!!
Someone else sharing and encouraging makes things easier especially getting motivated.
As I have got older my knowledge and ability to do things has increased, but my motivation to do them has decreased.
Head up bum down probably would work better!
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby rogueqd » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:45 am

BillGriffiths100 wrote:it's unfair to expect Bruce to make good on all his promises in one month.

I wasn't expecting that. As I said at the end, just finish something. I tried to be polite and encouraging when I first made the poll, now I thought maybe someone should come straight out and say it. Sorry if that hurts or offends, but it's the truth.
rogueqd

Postby msev » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:03 am

It is my opinion that the reviews that were announced till a certain time (let's say Bruce's 100th episode) should be made by the older "donation based" model...I also think it will be too much work for Bruce if he's gonna make an episode a day for the "premium" viewers...
My personal wish is that the diy tutorial style projects are made first, they have the most appeal to me.. What do you guys think?
msev

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:41 am

Sorry if that hurts or offends, but it's the truth.

I agree he needs more of a business model and it doesn't offend me!
(let's say Bruce's 100th episode)

oops initially glancing expected to read that as 100th birthday!!
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby rogueqd » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:26 pm

msev wrote:It is my opinion that the reviews that were announced till a certain time (let's say Bruce's 100th episode) should be made by the older "donation based" model...I also think it will be too much work for Bruce if he's gonna make an episode a day for the "premium" viewers...
My personal wish is that the diy tutorial style projects are made first, they have the most appeal to me.. What do you guys think?

Personally I think Bruce's best course of action is to wipe the slate clean and start again. He has a very long list of promised reviews, some of which are so old people probably don't even care anymore. Others, like the FPV series, people have been anticipating for ages. I think he would gain a lot of respect if he stopped making any new review announcements until he's finished the FPV series, then started announcing new reviews only a week or less before they were published. That way people can still look forward to the next episode without being disappointed that the review they're looking forward to keeps being delayed. If one is delayed, no problem, because he hasn't announced it yet so nobody is disappointed.
rogueqd

Postby pldb64 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:49 am

My $0.02 worth.

What i am really struck by in reading the comments on the 100th episode in YouTube and in the related discussion in this thread is two things.
1. There is a tremendous amount of "collective" good will that is being extended towards Bruce in the hope that his "full time" venture is successful. I think that speaks volumes to what Bruce's research and efforts have meant to numerous RC fans the world over. I believe that Bruce can harness that goodwill in ways well beyond just the monetary kind.
2. There is also a clear desire to become more predictable/reliable in terms of what/when reviews & information is released to YouTube. I think the "less is more" argument appears to be winning out with the caveat that timely delivery is highly desired.

So my question with those two thoughts in mind becomes - Bruce - how can we help make you successful?

I noted in one of the posts that someone with web skills had offered to help you rebuild the website and get it organised the way you'd like it.

For my part, i'm a program manager by profession (yes - i can hear the collective groans). So if i can help by offering some of my expertise, then i'd be happy to do so.

I don't think it will be possible to please all people all the time. Some people want reviews of FPV realted stuff, some people want DIY projects to do, some people want comparisions of servos, batteries, radio systems, some people want "lets look inside" epidsodes etc etc. There won't be enough hours in the day to get it all done, nor the money to fund it all.

Personally i'd suggest that creative control should always reside with Bruce. He's got skills that many of us would give our left arm to have. But i'd see the success of RCMR arising out of setting reasonable expectations of your current subscribers and then meeting them repeatedly.

Over to you Bruce - how can we help?
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby rogueqd » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:54 am

pldb64 wrote:1. There is a tremendous amount of "collective" good will that is being extended towards Bruce in the hope that his "full time" venture is successful.

Please don't get my comments wrong. I semi-regularly donate money and would happily donate time to help Bruce succeed.
pldb64 wrote:I'd see the success of RCMR arising out of setting reasonable expectations of your current subscribers and then meeting them repeatedly.

This sums up my point nicely. Bruce sets unreasonable expectations by promising more reviews than he can deliver, and then post videos with even more promises rather than videos that deliver on previous promises. It's not so important how many or what type of review videos he posts at any given time, as long as it's equal to or greater than the promises he makes.

So yes, Bruce, how can we help?
rogueqd

PreviousNext

Return to Suggest a review