KO EX10 Helios -> Frsky

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

KO EX10 Helios -> Frsky

Postby pete139 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:09 am

Hi all,

I'm planning on converting my KO Propo EX10 Helios radio to use Frsky DIY module. This radio was originally FM via a module interface, currently it has an original 2.4Ghz spektrum module in it.

I'm pretty sure I've identified the PPM signal, V+ ,gnd from the module pins (I delved inside identified the RF pin, measured V+/gnd, so that leaves PPM) - how I can't seem to get any feedback from the pins using a piezo speaker?? Any Ideas?

Note I've done two conversions already and the piezo gave clear PPM feedback on those radios (I converted a Turnigy 9x to Frysky, and converted an old Esky FM to 2.4G with the old module from the 9X).

Thanks,
Pete.
pete139

Re: KO EX10 Helios -> Frsky

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:23 am

It depends how the radio is designed as to whether the piezo method will work. Sometimes they have what's called an "open collector" output for the PPM signal and that is simply like a switch that opens and closes -- putting out no voltage of its own. When you get that, the piezo won't work. If you want to use the piezo, you'll have to check the wires with the module installed so that it provides the voltage.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby pete139 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:29 am

Thanks for pointing in the right direction, I have been able to search for more information on this. I'll report back here when I've done the conversion, the DIY kit has been ordered - just waiting for delivery now.
pete139

Postby pete139 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:00 am

I have successfully completed this radio conversion.

FYI to anyone else considering this conversion:

The module pins on the KO EX-10 are:

Top of Radio ^
* PPM <---- (PPM)-----
* GND
* V+ <-----(+)---------
* GND <-----(-)---------
* RF

I soldered the DIY unit onto the module pins at the point where there are soldered onto the board (Unscrew the board and unplug the two connectors). The DIY unit is sitting in between the main board and the board which has the module pins on it. Its a tight fit but not too bad and it not touching anything important. I used double-thickness-double-sided tape to hold it in. The LED+button fit nicely next to the servo and head phone jack.

Currently looks at bit wierd having no module in the back :) Will need to fill that in with something.
pete139

Postby pete139 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:39 am

Thought I'd do a quick follow-up on my Frsky conversion of my KO Ex-10 Helios radio for my rc cars.

So far I've run 2 race meetings, including a 1/8 offroad buggy 30 minute final with 10 other cars and the system worked perfectly. Was a little concerned with the buggy because it has a thick aluminium bottom but I didn't notice any issues with this.

As a side note the 4 channel receiver is actually quite handy on my MO3 Mini where the ESC has signal cable and a separate battery wire which I run thru a UBEC, I also power a Personal Transponder thru the 4th channel so all channel pins have been utilitised (previously I required a Y-cable). :)

I sold my old spektrum receivers and it has easily paid for the conversion :)

- Pete.
pete139

Postby ergocentric » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:24 pm

pete139 wrote:I sold my old spektrum receivers and it has easily paid for the conversion :)

they were downlevel anyway ;)
do you have telemetry now?
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Postby pete139 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:08 pm

ergocentric wrote:
pete139 wrote:I sold my old spektrum receivers and it has easily paid for the conversion :)

they were downlevel anyway ;)
do you have telemetry now?

I decided not to do telemetry this time for the planes or cars. I actually had the old spektrum telemetry (the first one they did that wasn't built into the receivers or transmitter) and didn't get any good use out of it.
pete139

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks