Prop balancers

Have you had really good or really bad service from a supplier? Tell everyone here.

Prop balancers

Postby Sid Sideslip » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:52 am

Yet another thing I need to get. I was going to get one of those $13 Turnigy magnetic ones from HobbyKing when they came into stock again, but the poopyheads sold out before I could get round to ordering one. Then again, the user comments say they don't always arrive in great shape, so maybe it was a blessing in disguise

Another possibility is the somewhat dearer but apparently popular DUB499 Tru-Spin Prop Balancer

What (if anything) do other people use, and any recommendations?

Also, if anyone has any idea where my sodding metre rule has got to, I'd be grateful for directions as to its hiding place. :lol:
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Re: Prop balancers

Postby kaptain_zero » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:13 am

I have the Dubro balancer and would suggest you go with same. Why you ask? Because it can balance spinners and large props by setting it up differently. Have a look though the manual, I'm sure it's available for download. The magnetic ones are fine if you are only balancing props that fit inside the frame, the Dubro can put the balancing cones on the outside of the frame, hanging over the edge of your table if need be, giving you several feet of swing for large props. If you are just balancing small e props for quad copters and the like where the slightest vibration could be a problem, then I would consider the magnetic type.

As for that sodding meter rule..... The fastest way to find something you've lost, is to buy a replacement.

Regards

Christian
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:22 am

I turned up a real quick and easy balancer on the lathe a while back and it works a treat.

I'll post a picture of it when I get a chance to take one. It's the kind of thing that would make a great first-project for anyone thinking of getting a metal lathe.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Sid Sideslip » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:07 am

I suppose I could do the same over at Bernie's, but can't be arsed. I'll get a dubro and keep looking for my meter rule, as l know it's in the house somewhere, as I can remember bringing it up from the 'shop. Christian is right though, if I give up and buy a new one the old one will have tea on for me when I get home.

Oh, and the first project anyone with a metal lathe should do is borrow an engineer's level and set it up for the start of test cutting between centres, as even after using a super accurate level you still need to correct the cut errors by raising or lowering certain feet that final tad. It takes me at least a week to set a lathe up correctly, before it's finally bedded down hard (and make sure the bed is as good as the manufacturer's test sheets and not gone bananas, as they sometimes do). Then check the chucks and faceplate (which may need final facing). The three jaw will always be out laterally of course, but it's nice to know by how much when new.

The "fitter" part of fitting and turning is just as important as the turning. ;)
Sid Sideslip

Postby rogueqd » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:36 am

After asking around rcgroups, I bought the Top Flite balancer. I've been happy with it, except the shaft was slightly bent when it arrives so it needed balancing before I could use it properly.
rogueqd

Postby Sid Sideslip » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:57 am

rogueqd wrote:After asking around rcgroups, I bought the Top Flite balancer. I've been happy with it, except the shaft was slightly bent when it arrives so it needed balancing before I could use it properly.

Yeah a lot of people found their HobbyKing balance shafts were bent when they got theirs, which kind defeats the purpose.

I spotted a Du-Bro in a local hobby shop yesterday when I was getting some other bits and bobs and just went for it.

They are kinda cheesy, and the nuts would not fit into their recess in the bottom properly. Also the thread on all the pillars were too short, so they only engage the nuts in the base a few threads... one was so poorly cut it would not take at all. I had to redo them all on a die and sand the nuts to fit into their recesses without being all crooked or need hammering in with the risk of splitting the base. Not a quality product for the money.

Still, it seems to work well enough now....just.

Should have listened to Bruce and made one up myself on my bro in law's lathe (could have drunk Bernie's beer for free too).
Sid Sideslip

Postby eagle33 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:28 pm

You might also look at the magnetic prop balancer offered by headsuprc.com. This is a nice balancer and Heads Up RC is a terrific online hobby shop - marvelous customer service, online assistance, and advice.
eagle33

Postby Keith » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:55 pm

I got a Hobby King one a while ago that had a couple of balance points... You can balance the heads of your helis as well...

I lost my long spirit level recently... All the time it was only a few feet from me.... On the garage roof....
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby Flash1940 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:50 am

I've had this one http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WT ... &search=Go for several years and has been a good one. Find a good place to keep it because it's easy to lose. With a couple of those strong magnets and a C clamp you can do the same as those fancy ones that are bigger....take up more space in your shop and won't fit in your pocket very well. For prop sizes up to 12" it is fine. For you giant scale guys....you'll need to go for a different method.

Flash
Flash1940

Postby quarry44 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:40 pm

Here's my prop balancer:
http://reviews.turbometal.com/diy-nissa ... djustment/
Did I mention I was che.........er financially prudent? :mrgreen:
quarry44

Next

Return to Where to buy (and not to buy)