Prevew: Turnigy 9X version 2

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Re: Prevew: Turnigy 9X version 2

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:22 am

My 9X V2 has been upgraded to "shipped" status so it should be here about the middle of next week (fingers crossed).

I'm hoping to receive the new (release version) of the 2-way system from FrSky (DIY and module) so I'll install that and write a DIY feature as well a a video documenting the process.

I'm just a little frustrated that a other batch of the cheap Spektrum-compatible receivers appeared on the HK website about an hour after my order was "shipped" and now they're well in to backorder numbers. If I'd known, I'd have added one to my order and been able to review it next week as well :(
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Andrej » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:19 pm

I am thinking about buying this model as well.
So what do you guys think about this one
I think it's the V1 you are talking about. It's a bit more expensive but at least it does not have RF module hardwired. And if flashing is easy there is no problem with firmware either...
Think the receiver is the same as TURNIGYs?
Andrej

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:49 pm

Looking at the pictures -- this is a *first* generation 9X -- it doesn't have the built-in 2.4GHz antenna, it retains the telescopic one with the 2.4GHz antenna on the module.

Perhaps they haven't updated the pictures to match the description -- who knows.

However, at US$104 it's nowhere near as good value as the Turnigy 9X V2 which is just US$60.

My 9XV2 arrived late yesterday so I'll be reviewing it today and hope to have the article up on the website shortly thereafter.
RCModelReviews

Postby Roger » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:25 am

Yes, I'd definitely be keen on one of these with the right software and provided that the set is relatively robust. I have a Hitec eclipse 7 at the moment but I have found some limitations in the internal programming there which would be good to overcome in another cheap digial Tx. I would most likely dispense with the factory 2.4ghz module and install a Corona one instead, telemetry can wait for me, is a bit distracting anyway...!
Can anyone tell me, does the V2 do full crow braking, aileron-flap mixes etc, elevon mixing & elevon differential etc... (Eclipse 7 does NOT do elevon differential for flying wings, quite frustrating really..)
Having a USB port in a transmitter - yes please...! Could it also be set for using as a trainer link with a computer for flying simulators if possible?
Roger

Postby flysilent » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:31 pm

Hello,
i ordered also the 9X. When i placed my order the transmitter was still v1 version. i guess i get the v2 now. i want to install the X8J Module from Assan. Can anybody tell me how i can use the built in antenne? i dont know the soldering pin on the assan module..

thanks for your help.
best regards roland
flysilent

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:57 pm

flysilent wrote:Hello,
i ordered also the 9X. When i placed my order the transmitter was still v1 version. i guess i get the v2 now. i want to install the X8J Module from Assan. Can anybody tell me how i can use the built in antenne? i dont know the soldering pin on the assan module..

The Assan has a U.FL connector for the antenna wire so it won't be easy to solder the existing cable to the Assan circuit board.

Right now, the easiest will be the Corona DIY which actually requires you to solder an antenna cable to its PCB.

I'm looking for a source of replacement antennas (complete with attached U.FL connectors) that could be used with the 9X V2 (and even the 9X V1). I'll keep everyone informed.
RCModelReviews

Postby flysilent » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:42 am

thanks for the information. i unsolder the antenna wire in the Turnigy module and place the cable inside the transmitter. once you have found an adapter i will reconfigure my tx.

thanks
roland
flysilent

Postby Andrej » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:07 pm

Is it only the antenna cable that is soldered to the module ?

In that case why wouldn't you just use the module's antenna and if possible remove in inbuilt one ?
Andrej

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:15 pm

Andrej wrote:Is it only the antenna cable that is soldered to the module ?

In that case why wouldn't you just use the module's antenna and if possible remove in inbuilt one ?

You could do that -- but I think it would be somewhat nicer to use the internal antenna if possible -- having the antenna mounted on the module isn't ideal -- at least from a mechanical perspective.
RCModelReviews

Postby flysilent » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:37 am

having the antenna mounted on the module isn't ideal -- at least from a mechanical perspective.

this is my opinion as well. i start with the antenna mounted on the backside of the module but the handling is not really comfortable this way.

another idea is to use this antenna and place the assan module inside the transmitter. the original antenna must be replaced with this one.. this should work as well i suppose...

Source: hobbyking.com
flysilent

PreviousNext

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers