the best size to learn and progress??????

Are you learning to fly a heli? Get some tips here. Experts can offer advice

the best size to learn and progress??????

Postby siang » Sat May 29, 2010 1:49 am

What do you heli flyer think is the best size to learn and progress on rc heli?

I've been flying heli for quite awhile now, it's either 2 or 3 yrs by now, I dont quite remember, more like 3, lol. My progress has been slow. I can do sports, no qualified for my wings, acording to the Hamilton guys and I'm nowhere near any 3D moves.

I started off with a 450 size, I must admit my progression was very fast then. I was learning my hovering when my mates are able to fly circuit, circles without any problem. With the 450, I advance to do loops and rolls b4 any of them are able or have the confident to do it. Then I proceed to get a 50 size heli. I love it for its' size, stability and power. But .... I can't seem to progress even thou with a easier-to-see heli that is alot more stable. It's 18 months now and all I progress from the 50 size is a pathetic tictocs that's always either losing or gaining attitude, and inverted hovering that isn't anywhere near the ground, lol.

That make me think about wheather size does matter, ...... could it be the $$$, danger, safety issue?

What's your opinion?
Last edited by siang on Sat May 29, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
siang

Re: the best size to learn and progress??????

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat May 29, 2010 1:57 am

Are you making full use of your simulator?

Sims are *great* for getting over hurdles when learning.

When I was learning to fly helis (back in the 1990s)I was just too scared to move from hover to forward flight -- then I bought a sim and realised just how easy it was. It was simply the "pucker factor" keeping me from progressing.

Now that I fly fixed-wing 3D I find the sim is really useful for getting my coordination sorted for new maneuvers and although there's no substitute for real flying time, the sim can really speed up your progression.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby siang » Mon May 31, 2010 9:32 am

Yes I have but whether I've used it fully utilised is hard to say. There are things that I can do on Sims at 120 sim speed that's I can't do on real. I usually chose to escape on the slightest error, lol, then I'd refrain from trying it. Could be just a simple barrier that's preventing the progress. That's why I'm thinking of rebuilding my 450 or get a cheapie HK450 to have a go and see if it make any difference.
siang

Postby takilara » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:18 am

I only fly a 450 still (have a almost finished 600 as well). And in my experience, the best thing is airtime. If i don't fly for a week or two, then i loose confidence. And the things i felt confident with just two weeks ago is now scary.

I've found "Radd's" guide for "past hover" to be quite good to build confidence. Its basically "hover left side in until you can do it for two packs straight" etc. Sounds really boring (and at some points it is), BUT it really helps on confidence. and you very quickly see results in the rest of your flying. At least i did. For instance. I progressed to "left side in 10 sec, right side in 10 sec, repeat for full battery". The first couple of batteries i was not confident at all, and struggled with this exercise, but quickly i felt confident doing this, and could progress further.

I also do agree that a simulator is important. I particularily use it if i prepare to do moves i haven't done before, or if i for some reason is unable to fly normally.
The price of getting what you want;
is getting what you once wanted...
_____
T-REX 600 ESP
CopterX 450AE V2
Multiplex FunCub
Belt-CP
takilara

Postby shizack » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:21 am

Resist the temptation to live out your Youngblood/Szabo fantasy when flying the sim. It's fine to try crazy "3D" (I hate that term) moves once in a while, but you should spend the vast majority of your sim time working on things you actually want to try on your real heli the next time you get to the field.

Pick a heli in the sim that flies pretty close to yours. A little twitchier sim heli is actually better because once your real one cuts loose it may seem easier.

Drill, drill, drill on nose in and circles that come around toward you. Conquering the fear of the heli coming at you is key.

Fly as though you are in the cockpit. Pretend you're driving the thing. Once you overcome the "thinking" aspect and can point it and fly in any direction you'll be well on your way.

And +1 and then some for RADD's. i hated it. So I skipped a few steps. Once my parts arrived I decided to deal with it and earned my "wings". I'm glad I did and i feel I'm a better RC pilot for it.
shizack

Postby siang » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:26 am

That make sense, I hate it when the copter turn towards me. For that, I always turn the nose away on figure 8 and have never fly circles on real b4, haha.
Presently learning on Sims, my backward figure 8 and inverted circuit. I may have to forget it and start learning the head-in hover, flying circles and turning inwards till I can do it in real with confident. Thanks for the advice. :)
siang

Postby chab » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:59 am

:DMy dream is flying a plane one day..thanks for the tips..it will help me immencely.:D:D
chab

Postby brett657 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:29 am

I also agree that a simulator is important. I particularly use it if i prepare to do moves. If i for some reason is unable to fly rc helicopter normally and in my experience, the best thing is airtime. If i don't fly for a week or two, then i loose confidence. And the things i felt confident with just two weeks ago is now scary.So try to keep flying it really helps on confidence. and you very quickly see results in the rest of your flying.
Brett Wilson
Find more info at Nitrotek.nl
brett657

Return to Learning to Fly