TX/RX Style Selection: Stick Style or Car Style? Type/Mode?

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

TX/RX Style Selection: Stick Style or Car Style? Type/Mode?

Postby unmanaged » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:40 am

I am working on building a remote control platform based off of an old power chair.
I am using a Sabertooth 2X25 and a FUTABA AM GROUND TX/RX system that someone gave me.
Here is the kicker... it causes the motors to jump wildly at random.
DE says its due to the RX picking up junk (and very well could be as I am sandwiched between alot of RF here in a metro area of Nashville, TN)
I would like to have extra Channels to control some of DE's Battle Switches... http://www.dimensionengineering.com/BattleSwitch.htm

And before I get chastised for not really asking a question here it goes...

Would a 2.4 Ghz SS system be better for use in the city?
Would a Stick or Wheel Style be better for ground R/C?
If Stick does "Mode" matter?

I am new to this R/C stuff and would like your input... trying to keep it real and I do have a radio & electronics background I just like to get others 2cents before I jump into a pool without water ya know ...

Gavin G.
Nashville, TN :D

URLs:
http://www.dimensionengineering.com/Sabertooth2X25.htm
unmanaged

Re: TX/RX Style Selection: Stick Style or Car Style? Type/Mo

Postby Sid Sideslip » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:50 am

You don't say what the remote control platform has to do. For most remote control stuff, sticks probably work better (think what the guys at Mythbusters do with stick transmitters). A wheel Tx seems to me more like for model cars.

Mode doesn't matter with sticks; you can switch it in software in two seconds with modern radios and the hardware gimbal bits inside the Tx case can be swapped in a few minutes too.

Modern 2.4 Ghz gear can usually work OK in noisy RF environments, but I guess it depends on what it's up against in terms of interference and ground reflections or line of sight issues making things worse, compared to flying models. Bruce and others would know far more than me in that regard.
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby unmanaged » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:23 pm

I am using it as a platform for an electric lawn mower.....
unmanaged

Postby Keith » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:52 pm

Hammer a stake in the middle of the lawn and tie a string between it and the mower...Start the mower and go for a beer...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby rogueqd » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:20 pm

Stick or wheel is really personal preference.

2.4 Ghz has to be line of sight, so it wouldn't work too well mowing behind trees and things. Definately not behind a house or a small mound of dirt.

Sounds interesting tho, got any pictures?
rogueqd

Postby quarry44 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:19 am

Now we know who's been cutting those crop circles,eh Keith? :lol:
The rc mower seems like a nice idea,but it doesn't keep you fit,like struggling behind the mower does. :twisted:
I would have thought there's not much on the AM band these days,so it may not be rf interference.Are you sure the batteries in both transmitter and receiver are ok?A low battery can often be mistaken for something much more serious.I would love to see a pic or two,I'm intrigued.
quarry44

Postby unmanaged » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:44 pm

I got a message from the people who made the motor controller and they seem to think its an issue with the motor controllers PWM switching that might me causing some trouble. I need to put the output on a scope and see if it looks clean or not to tell the truth... I will post some photos of the raw base soon ...
these are 6+amp dc brushed motors with a high freq motor controller so RFI is almost certainly the case but I wont know for sure w//o testing...
unmanaged

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)