Remzibi's OSD FPV Screen Setup - Love it!!!

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

Re: Remzibi's OSD FPV Screen Setup - Love it!!!

Postby bmsweb » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:47 am

Wow, how much this thread as progressed! Great research there Sid.
bmsweb

Postby Sid Sideslip » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:41 am

bmsweb wrote:Wow, how much this thread as progressed! Great research there Sid.

Thanks Paul. It's a good thread and I'm looking forward to seeing some FPV video and hearing more of what you have to say.

Just as an aside, I have ordered a Remzibi OSD. :)

I'll be interested to see how you go with the $17 HobbyKing camera, as the specs on the HK website don't make a lot of sense (avoid the sun in your image though; from what I've read the sensor is easily damaged).

Of course all this talk of LCD monitor/goggles resolution is just that, with camera/lens/Tx/Rx combos so cheap, even before I learn just how good individual parts of the total pathway are (the whole process is known as "MTF" or modulation transfer function, in classical optics and photography btw).

If it was quality optics and emulsion film from a still camera (or a known CMOS or CCD - with or without an AA filter) I could talk more knowledgeably, but I'm all at sea when it come to video, the transmission process and the processing and resultant signal output.

It's all just speculation for now though. A better camera/lens combo will no doubt provide a much better first part of the system...just one I'm not prepared to crash at this early stage.

Whatever, FPV is fun. :D
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby bmsweb » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:49 am

Sid Sideslip wrote:[quote="bmsweb"I'll be interested to see how you go with the $17 HobbyKing camera, as the specs on the HK website don't make a lot of sense (avoid the sun in your image though; from what I've read the sensor is easily damaged).

The only reason I didn't buy the better spec sony was purely because of its bad reviews and the cheaper one had better reviews. I'll upload a video as soon as my son gives me access to my laptop that has the captured footage on it :lol: He's busy playing Minecraft with his friends :x The quality I'm getting is really good . . not GoPro good but Good. My friend is using his GoPro for FPV and I find it laggy, only slight but still a little laggy where as the Sony configuration seems to be instant.

Depending on how far we go with FPV I may end up going down the path of one of these http://www.team-blacksheep.com/products/product:11

I learned a lot from the one flight we had and too much to cover at the moment, but we did do somethings well and some not so. I plan on buying another 9x and doing the Frsky Mod and use it just for FPV. Thinking back we had a brand new aircraft up for its first flight and as soon as it was trimmed were were flying FPV. Logical course would have been to get familiar with the model first before jumping straight into FPV :lol: One of the better things we did was fly in Trainer mode so depending on who was flying FPV if they got into trouble the other could have instantly taken control.
bmsweb

Postby Sid Sideslip » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:55 am

For a strange combination of info and a good laugh, check out the Black Sheep FPV group's website. They have lots of practical experience, awesome videos and useful advice (like not posting on RCGroups) but blimey, check out the rip-off prices for gear on their online store.

http://www.team-blacksheep.com/

$2,000 for a foamy anyone? http://www.team-blacksheep.com/shop/category:10

olol
Sid Sideslip

Postby Coverdown » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:48 am

bmsweb wrote: Depending on how far we go with FPV I may end up going down the path of one of these http://www.team-blacksheep.com/products/product:11

You can get board cameras with the same chip (pixim seawolf) for a lot less at http://www.securitycamera2000.com/searc ... &shipping=

I want to buy a better FPV cam, because my current cam (ebay cheapy ccd comparable to Hobbyking cam) is horrible when flying into or close to direct sunlight.
Problem is there are to many choices.
Maybe it`s a good idea to make a "FPV camera" thread where we can share experiences with different cam`s, as I don`t want to hijack this excellent thread on Remzibi's OSD FPV.
Coverdown

Postby Sid Sideslip » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:07 am

Whoops, looks like we all crossed posts there. :lol:

I find the Black Sheep site a mixture of experience and oddness to be honest, well, at least their prices.

A dedicated FPV camera thread is a good idea. Bruce mentioned another camera as being a good starting point a while back...er, *looks*.

The $80 or so KX 181 HQ Camera (PAL)

Sid Sideslip

Postby Oops » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:23 am

I use the KX 171 (PAL) and found it sufficient for the FPV. It has a better resolution that what I see in the FatShark and enough detail is visible to watch the recording on a 32" from a few meters.
Oops

Postby Sid Sideslip » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:34 am

What do you use for recording oops?
Sid Sideslip

Postby rogueqd » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:49 pm

My first FPV step...

Your order details are:
1x #FPV_CCDP/11977 1/3-inch SONY CCD Video Camera (PAL) = $16.99
1x #STCR351305/15295 5.8g 200mw FPV Wireless AV Tx & Rx Set = $62.85
1x #Q005/12875 FPV Fiberglass Pan-Tilt Camera Mount L-Size = $4.99
2x #HXT500/663 HXT500 5g / .8kg / .10sec Micro Servo = $6.98
rogueqd

Postby Sid Sideslip » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:24 pm

@ rogueqd

lol, mine was the same, except I got the slightly larger HXT900 servos (I just throw some in for every order, to help make up the weight).
Sid Sideslip

PreviousNext

Return to FPV