Who wants some FPV reviews and articles?

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

Who wants some FPV reviews and articles?

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed May 12, 2010 10:18 pm

I've had a lot of emails asking all sorts of questions about FPV equipment and what 2.4GHz systems will work with 2.4GHz video etc.

So, I'm thinking of writing an FPV feature that would include a number of reviews of FPV equipment such as autopilots, OSDs, video links, LCD glasses, head-trackers and all the other things that FPV fliers want/need.

I'd like to get a more general feel for the level of interest in this stuff before I commit to spending the meager resources of the RCModelReviews budget on a bunch of this gear so if you'd like to see some FPV-related reviews and features, say so right here!
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: Who wants some FPV reviews and articles?

Postby Neil » Thu May 13, 2010 4:36 am

I have had some experience with the Flycamone 3 (FCO 3) system and there a number of issues with it. The cameras automatic exposure has fairly large variation in f stop and tends to make the video "flash". Other issues are the pan and tilt steps too coarse and the audio overloads, mic OK for distant speech but engine and wind noise distorts. The answer from FCO was to "put a bit of tape over the mic", and I hear they are thinking of a software change for the exposure problem. It's certainly an innovative design but not quite "there yet" in my opinion. I have done a range test on the 2.4 TX and RX, sure you can get about 300m, however in a model this has proved difficult. They say that 2.4 will intefere with some rc radio gear but not all. I don't think I would use it for fpv, great for framing up the camera! In saying this I have seen Youtube videos using the rf link for fpv, but it's a bit hard to say just how successful it was. Using only 10mw TX's for fpv (the legal power) is debatable. I've posted 3 trial videos on Youtube. Anyone else used the FCO? Reviews on this type of gear would be welcome as I think fpv will grow.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... 01ify&aq=f
Neil

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu May 13, 2010 5:17 am

I have used a 600mW 2.4GHz video link over distances in excess of 2 miles (3 Kms) using just regular dipoles at each end, with excellent results.

That was on a UAV however, so there was no 2.4GHz RC system onboard to interfere.
RCModelReviews

Postby beau0090_99 » Fri May 14, 2010 2:40 am

I would love to know more about FPV. I am cheap and would love to get into it cheap. Maybe just a quick starter setup that doesn't have Pan/tilit capability. Now that I am on 2.4, i would like to know what would be a good solution that would keep from interfering. There is no way I could buy this stuff in a store (it's just too cost prohibitive), so i have no way of touching it and feeling it beforehand, so it is tough to know what I need to start.
Thanks,
Curtis
beau0090_99

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri May 14, 2010 2:48 am

I've been sounding out various suppliers to see who can offer 5.6GHz video solutions at *good* prices for those who fly with 2.4GHz RC systems.

As soon as I know, you'll know because I'll post the info here.
RCModelReviews

Postby kneedrag » Sun May 16, 2010 9:48 am

Yeah I am waiting for my 5.8Ghz video gear to arrive and then I will be able to post the whole process. I have done the budget thing and shopped for the cheapest stuff. Which may bite me yet.

You can follow my attempts here http://www.parkflyers.org.nz/modules/ne ... 49&forum=9 I have also started documenting my successes and failures here http://wiki.parkflyers.org.nz/wiki/index.php/FPV while aimed at NZ use you are more than welcome to take or add what you need to it.

I am always keen to compare notes as I am totally new to this side of things. ;-)
kneedrag

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun May 16, 2010 8:48 pm

I've spoken with Himodel.com and told them that instead of focusing solely on 2.4GHz video stuff that they ought to take a look at getting some 5.8Ghz equipment. They're doing that now so hopefully we'll see more variety in low-cost video solutions pretty soon.
RCModelReviews

Postby beau0090_99 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:09 pm

That would be wonderful. I really like Himodel. They have always answered my questions quickly and succinctly, and the shipping has always been 5 calendar days to my door. I hope they find some good 5.6G stuff cheap.
Curtis
beau0090_99

Postby palton » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:02 pm

I'm into FVP, so always intressted in things that's new or possible improvments..
palton

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:49 pm

beau0090_99 wrote:That would be wonderful. I really like Himodel. They have always answered my questions quickly and succinctly, and the shipping has always been 5 calendar days to my door. I hope they find some good 5.6G stuff cheap.
Curtis

Himodel are now listing some 5.8GHz equipment for about US$70 -- but it's currently on back-order.

As soon as they get stock, I'll grab some and test/review it.
RCModelReviews

Next

Return to FPV