FatShark Goggles and the Quality

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

Re: FatShark Goggles and the Quality

Postby Oops » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:27 am

I didn't want to wait any longer so I purchased all the (what you guys call) minimum gear. pair of FatSharks, 5.8g 500mW, kx181 and the FY21AP with AP117 OSD module. Lots of the stuff ordered through BIRD'S EYE VIEW (mention alishanmao and you get 5% off).

I have spend endless time searching the internet, reading conflicting reviews (not yours Bruce ;-) up to the stage that work started to suffer. It's a jungle out there!

At some stage you just have to bite the bullet and hope that you still have a place to sleep after the wife finds out (though she has been very understanding, but she hasn't seen the latest credit card bill). Now, some of the gear may turn out to be crap but I just wanted to get on with it.
I did put up another topic somewhere else but only views and no contributers. I will let you know how I get on.
Oops

Postby Sid Sideslip » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:40 am

I know how you feel, I'm champing at the bit myself atm.

Though I want to see how Bruce fares with the welding mask set up...if only for the lols, 'cause he looks a scream in it on the not so weekly, weekly news video. :lol:
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:48 am

Did some more work on the entry-level stuff today, hoping to get the videos and articles up this weekend.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby bmsweb » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:53 am

Can't wait :D
bmsweb

Postby Oops » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:03 am

Sid (?), it appears we have a lot in common. I am also using the phoenix 2 meter and looking at ways to mount all the gear (which I will show you when it arrives). I also use the cheap Turnigy with the frsky which has the ER9X zapped in. I use a homebuild 16" Dob with tracking, etc. Tasmania is at about the same latitude as Nelson New Zealand so we must observe the same sky. And I also fought in the boer war (being of Dutch origin ;-) And I feel like 100 at times.
Oops

Postby Sid Sideslip » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:50 am

Oops wrote:Sid (?), it appears we have a lot in common. I am also using the phoenix 2 meter and looking at ways to mount all the gear (which I will show you when it arrives). I also use the cheap Turnigy with the frsky which has the ER9X zapped in. I use a homebuild 16" Dob with tracking, etc. Tasmania is at about the same latitude as Nelson New Zealand so we must observe the same sky. And I also fought in the boer war (being of Dutch origin ;-) And I feel like 100 at times.

LOL

16" is a good size to have, lot's of light gathering power, but not stupid big either.

I don't actually have a telescope set up here, as the viewing is lousy where I live in Hobart for what I liked to do, which was long exposure photography. My last telescope I donated to a high school in Victoria, where it is now housed in a purpose built observatory. I do have access to the university's 50" reflector here, though rarely bother to take them up on it.

I guess I just use the Hubble these days, via the internet. ;)

As to the Boer war, my paternal grandfather fought there (like my father, he was English). He saw some pretty bad stuff, which put him off war for life.
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby rogueqd » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:07 am

Well I'm back flogging the "which goggles are best" horse, and I'm leaning towards base Fat Sharks coz they're cheap.

I'd really like the 30deg FOV of the Foxtechs or Dominators, but Foxtechs are pretty pricey and the Dominators don't have adjustable IPD (eye width). Asside from Bruces mythical visor, has anyone heard of any other up and coming contenders? I'm doing the overtime to pay for them today so time is becoming a factor. :)

Maybe I should lash out for some Foxtechs after all?
rogueqd

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:45 am

I have a pair of Dominators on their way for review so I'll be able to give you a comparison between them and the older FatSharks (hopefully in a couple of weeks once they arrive).
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby rogueqd » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:13 am

I like the Dominators because you can get the built in head tracker unit for them, but the IPD is a deal breaker for me. My IPD is 67mm, the Dominators are either 64.5 or 63.5 depending on which documentation you read, but either of those is too small for me. I really don't get why they took the adjustment out.

On the plus side, I noticed that the RCV922's are 46° diagonal, which is a decent amount less than the 46 deg horizontal I was originally thinking. I've also found that HK sells a 2-axis head tracker for under $50. So that's the plan unless something changes before they get the RCV922's back in stock.

Edit:
Hmm, more and more research. I was curious about the Foxtech's IPD so I searched a bit and found this post on rcgroups.
twinturbostang wrote:My guess is the optics are properly built and therefore are not sensitive to side-to-side changes, as you might have with varying IPD's. The Fatshark's and Headplay's that I've tested are VERY sensitive to any side to side movement of your eyes, due to inferior optics. The lenses they use are very small (an attempt at reducing cost I guess), but because of that, then they are very sensitive to viewing angle. You get either a distorted view or clipping of the image if they are not perfectly lined up with your eyes. That's why they have the IPD adjustments. But even so, I'm still not impressed with those as I still get clipped images.

So maybe the Dominator's, like the Foxtech's, don't require IPD adjustment. Although the Foxtech's IPD is 65mm, which is closer to my IPD than the Dominator's are.

Dang, now I have to research even more! :lol:
rogueqd

Postby Oops » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:30 am

The distortionis my impression as well with the fatsharks. And I thought my head was too big (wide)! I have the feeling I want to get deeper into them but the plastic don't let me.

Those head trackers, hmm interesting. But I already need 10 channels and have only eight. Is there a way of put two FrSky receivers in serie?
Oops

PreviousNext

Return to FPV