Oh great: Arrest over remote-controlled plane terror plot

Chew the fat on any non-RC subject. It's a free-for-all but common rules of decency do apply so act like adults and don't embarrass yourself by trolling or cuss'n.

Oh great: Arrest over remote-controlled plane terror plot

Postby Sid Sideslip » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:36 pm

I just saw this on the news this morning. It had to happen sooner or later. Let's just hope the media and rabid law 'n order politicians don't use this for their own ends and make life miserable for us, especially the FPV flyers.

From the ABC news website:

"US authorities have arrested and charged a Massachusetts man with plotting to attack the Pentagon and US Capitol by using remote-controlled aircraft filled with plastic explosives.

Rezwan Ferdaus, 26, a US citizen, was also charged with attempting to provide support and resources to Al Qaeda in order to carry out attacks on US soldiers stationed overseas, US attorney's office in Boston said.

He was caught as a result of an undercover operation.

""The conduct alleged today shows Mr Ferdaus had long planned to commit violent acts against our country,"" US attorney Carmen Ortiz said in a statement.

The statement said the public was never in danger from the explosive devices, which were controlled by undercover FBI employees."
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Re: Oh great: Arrest over remote-controlled plane terror plo

Postby rogueqd » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:04 pm

Yeah, it was kinda inevitable wasn't it. Just like every time I tell someone I have a quad, the conversation always ends up with them asking if I can spy on my neighbors with it, usually in the shower. :roll:

I'm going to fly as much as I can while I still can, lol.
rogueqd

Postby Jolly-Swagman » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:32 am

Yeah I just read that too in this threadhttp://rcmodelreviews.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1225&start=0
Also saw on the CNN News channel earlier this morning, going to make it harder for FPV flyers for sure!
Jolly-Swagman

Postby rogueqd » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:49 am

I don't think it will have much of an impact. Maybe customs might check you out a bit more before allowing RC related packages through the post, but banning RC planes because of one psycho is a bit extreme. Wait until they've turned us in to a police state, then they could get away with that kind of thing. (jokes)

Before anyone goes and freaks out too much, please watch this non-RC slightly off the wall but very cool new world view video first.
rogueqd

Postby ergocentric » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:36 pm

rogueqd wrote:Wait until they've turned us in to a police state, then they could get away with that kind of thing. (jokes)

You may need to check on the state of police state in Australia, they already control your internets.

edit: the FBI supplied the rifles (non functioning) and explosive (only a tiny sample was real), good to know they are keeping the USA safe
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Postby quarry44 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:21 pm

"the public was never in danger from the explosive devices, which were controlled by undercover FBI employees."
To my simple mind,that sentence says it all,really.This stinks of a set-up.
quarry44

Postby rogueqd » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:29 am

ergocentric wrote:
rogueqd wrote:Wait until they've turned us in to a police state, then they could get away with that kind of thing. (jokes)

You may need to check on the state of police state in Australia, they already control your internets.

Thankfully they don't quite yet, only limited voluntary trials (I'm with iiNet, supporting the good guys), but it's still a possibility. :?
rogueqd

Postby Keith » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:19 am

I've been with iinet as well for about seven years...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby Jolly-Swagman » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:40 am

rogueqd wrote:
ergocentric wrote:

Thankfully they don't quite yet, only limited voluntary trials (I'm with iiNet, supporting the good guys), but it's still a possibility. :?

Yep another Happy iiNet customer here for a little over 7yrs too
Jolly-Swagman

Postby rogueqd » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:57 am

My iiNet is also about 7", but my wife is mainly interested in how often I use it. :lol:
rogueqd

Return to Non-RC