This will make it tough for all of us

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

This will make it tough for all of us

Postby FlyingTiger » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:37 am

Just what we don't need. This guy will put us all under a magnifying glass for scrutiny we don't need. Now every hobbyist will have to go through a background check when buying a transmitter. Hopefully not, but this is the kind of crap our homeland security people lay awake at night thinking of.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/28/us/massac ... index.html
Gear up and locked!
FlyingTiger

Re: This will make it tough for all of us

Postby Sugna » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:22 am

Haha, I like how you put this in the "DIY Projects and Hacks" category
But this one individual really degrade the public image of this hobby :(
Sugna

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:32 am

FlyingTiger wrote:Just what we don't need. This guy will put us all under a magnifying glass for scrutiny we don't need. Now every hobbyist will have to go through a background check when buying a transmitter. Hopefully not, but this is the kind of crap our homeland security people lay awake at night thinking of.

This is another example of homeland security /FBI whatever finding some patsy supplying them with materials and in this case probably the aircraft nicely posed on the pavement. Feeding them with the plot arranging the details for them and then "exposing them".
Lots of media hype to whip up fear so that they can continue to impose more measures to control a frightened population and justify their salaries and their continued employment in the absence of any real threats or plots.
You can always find some nut case to set up this way, they probably want to curb RC flying since it's one of the things free thinking people enjoy! Time we all stood up for what rights we have left, this little attempt certainly requires debunking.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby Sid Sideslip » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:33 am

I read recently that since 9/11 there have been maybe twenty acts of "terrorism" in the US, mostly nutters losing the plot and killing fellow soldiers etc and one or two "shoe bomber" type attempts; whatever, it's minuscule, especially compared to the Troubles back in the bad old days in Northern Ireland. I can't remember the figures, but let's say it works out to a billion dollars a year spent on the domestic "war on terrorism" for each death.

Compare that to the road toll, or the tens of thousand of deaths each year from US gun murders in that time and it all looks ridiculous.

Ffs, more more people kill themselves with lawn mowers in the US each year than die from terrorism.

Maybe it's like make-believe elephant repellent. See any elephants now? Must be working then. ;-)
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby Flash1940 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:57 pm

Maybe this incident may become fodder for the FAA in their rule making efforts concerning RC model aircraft. It's a worrisome circumstance in the least. Here you can keep up with what's going on with the AMA. http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutama/gov.aspx

Flash
Flash1940

Postby jpreou » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:55 am

ah nuts. the whole reason i got into r/c has now been rumbled. what on earth am i going to do now my plan for world domination has been foiled when i can't even hover upside down for more than a dozen seconds or so?!!!
jpreou

Postby Keith » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:22 am

It's easy to hover inverted, here....
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby ergocentric » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:29 pm

Keith wrote:It's easy to hover inverted, here....

lmao

thanks.
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Postby jpreou » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:47 pm

Yeah, but being English living in NZ and trying to hover upside down is just confusing. I have *NO IDEA* which way is actually the right way up.
:-)
jpreou

Postby cheshireflyer » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:01 am

FlyingTiger wrote:Just what we don't need. This guy will put us all under a magnifying glass for scrutiny we don't need. Now every hobbyist will have to go through a background check when buying a transmitter. Hopefully not, but this is the kind of crap our homeland security people lay awake at night thinking of.

As far as I am aware the use of FPV in model aircraft here in the UK has been banned.
I have to say that I am happy with this. It would only be a matter of time before a model ended up in an air lane and brought down a full size aircraft by sheer accident or ( stupid actions by someone having fun !)
Once that happend every model aircraft would be banned from the sky - simple.
cheshireflyer

Next

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks