Turnigy 9x or older Futaba with Frsky ??

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Turnigy 9x or older Futaba with Frsky ??

Postby S-rob » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:20 am

Hi there.
What would be the better way to go
New Turnigy 9x + Frsky mod
or an older PCM am,fm Futaba 4/6 ch + Frysky Mod
such as (say) something like these (but wait for cheaper bargains) :D
http://www.trademe.co.nz/toys-models/ra ... 197402.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/toys-models/ra ... 310492.htm
S-rob

Re: Turnigy 9x or older Futaba with Frsky ??

Postby Sid Sideslip » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:35 am

The Turnigy 9x is $38 right now, add in $40 for a SmartieParts programmer board with backlight and USB connector, plus $28 for the DIY FrSky kit and for $US106 plus postage you end up with a far more powerful Tx running the excellent er9x firmware.

Edit: Make that $114 with the $8 battery mod.

Gawd, will the expense never end? :lol:
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby S-rob » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:20 am

OK, say for the same money $$$
a new Turnigy 9X (given will cost $20ish for freight to NZ)
or a used Futaba 6EX or 4Ex (ebay , trademe etc)

Id be adding the Frsky mod to whatever I get
I wont need it in a hurry, I can wait a few months to find a good deal on used Futaba (if Im lucky) >
Dont need any more than 4ch (being a absolute novice), but do want several model memories & LCD menu based setup

Either way its a crap shoot with reliabilty with Turnigy/used Fut . Always a (small) chance of getting a flaky lemon.
Cheers
S-rob

Postby Sid Sideslip » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:46 am

Depends on how tight your finances are, I guess. The 9x is a bit of a crapshoot, but reliability seems to have improved over time. Also, a dud only means an extra $38 (plus an existing box of spares). The postage is steep, I know, but I usually add in other goodies to make up for the pain.

Also, you won't want to be a novice forever, so you will find the ability to program the 9x on your computer via eePe (instead of using the Tx buttons) a great boon, as you mix in more than 4 channels for some models.

Bottom line, the 9x is a lot of fun, but your mileage may vary.
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:16 am

I've converted a few 6EXA radios to FrSky and it's an easy job but, to be totally honest, they're a pretty basic radio with very limited capabilities in comparison to the Turnigy 9X.

Even with the stock software, the Turnigy 9X is a *much* more capable radio and it'll work out cheaper.

The Turnigy 9X may not be a top-quality product -- but neither are Futaba's bottom-end radios -- in fact, quite the opposite.

If you buy a second-hand Futaba 4/6 and it has problems then it will likely be uneconomic to repair so you'll be out $100-$200 with nothing to show for it. If you get a 9X and it has problems, you're more likely to find someone who'll be able to take a look at it for you and spares are available for the key components.

The 9X is an incredibly elegant design from an electronics perspective -- the Futaba, nowhere near as much.

IMHO.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby S-rob » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:01 am

Thanks all, I'll get the 9x then.

i just (wrongly) assumed the Fut 4x 6x etc were higher qual tx's
:D
S-rob

Postby ergocentric » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:00 pm

S-rob wrote:Thanks all, I'll get the 9x then.

i just (wrongly) assumed the Fut 4x 6x etc were higher qual tx's
:D

My Futaba T7CAP is clearly marked made in Taiwan, although the PC boards seem to be well designed
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Postby quarry44 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:19 pm

I also seem to remember Futaba servo's have been made in Korea since the mid 90's.Nothing much wrong with them for sport flying.
Personally,I've converted an older Futaba 5nlh tx,using the hack module,and it works well.I also now have a 7C with the plug-in module,and that's probably as many channels if I'm ever likely to need.
If you don't need the all singing,all dancing mixers,etc.,or you have an older tx at hand,the Frsky modules are the bee's knees.
quarry44

Postby ergocentric » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:49 pm

quarry44 wrote:I also seem to remember Futaba servo's have been made in Korea since the mid 90's.Nothing much wrong with them for sport flying.
Personally,I've converted an older Futaba 5nlh tx,using the hack module,and it works well.I also now have a 7C with the plug-in module,and that's probably as many channels if I'm ever likely to need.
If you don't need the all singing,all dancing mixers,etc.,or you have an older tx at hand,the Frsky modules are the bee's knees.

I found that my 7c was missing and important dance step, sub trim on dual elevator servos.
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Postby quarry44 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:08 pm

I've downloaded the manual for the 7c,but haven't really delved into it too deeply.But if you have 2 elevator servo's,wouldn't they be plugged into the same channel via y-lead?Then doesn't the sub trim work on both?.Or are you referring to an elevon type setup?
quarry44

Next

Return to Radios and Servos