Foiled in the final moments.

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

Foiled in the final moments.

Postby rogueqd » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:14 pm

I got my 5.8 video gear a couple of days ago. I spent some time last night confirming all the wire colors, soldering on battery plugs, violating poor innocent servo extension leads. A few final touches this morning and it was all ready and double checked for testing. I left the Tx and camera at my work bench and took the receiver and a battery out to the TV, where I found that the video RCA plugs on the Rx and TV were both female and I threw out all my old RCA cables at the last council clean up. :lol:

Off to the shops I go...
rogueqd

Re: Foiled in the final moments.

Postby Sid Sideslip » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:23 pm

Bummer. There's always something else you need isn't there?

I haven't tested my gear yet, as I'm still waiting for the OSD to show up.

One thing though, how to best mount the Tx. I'll have to cut the shrink-wrap to get at the dip switches and also to expose the heatsink, but that leaves only the bumpy back part to mount to the plane, presumably with velcro. I want to make a better way of attaching the Tx without using the backside of the circuit board as the contact point, but there are no mounting holes on the board to ease attaching a case of some sort.

Hot glue the edges to a small case, leaving the heatsink exposed to the slipstream, I guess.
Last edited by Sid Sideslip on Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby rogueqd » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:05 pm

My OSD hasn't arrived yet either. I haven't even ordered my goggles yet, lol. I just thought I'd get the video link running, it's more a proof of concept, I've only put heatshrink on the positive wires. I've also got my pan/tilt mount is here to put together, which means modding an HST900 for 180 degrees.

Sid Sideslip wrote:One thing though, how to best mount the Rx. Hot glue the edges to a small case, leaving the heatsink exposed to the slipstream, I guess.

That's a good idea, I might borrow it. :)

While we're on that subject, I'm still undecided about mounting it in front of the motor above the wings, better COG but more potential interference with the control Rx, or down near the tail, with the opposite effects. I've seen other people mount it between the wings. Does it really cause much Rx interference?
rogueqd

Postby Sid Sideslip » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:18 pm

rogueqd wrote:While we're on that subject, I'm still undecided about mounting it in front of the motor above the wings, better COG but more potential interference with the control Rx, or down near the tail, with the opposite effects. I've seen other people mount it between the wings. Does it really cause much Rx interference?

From what I can gather reading on the subject, the main problem is noise getting into the video feed, rather than the video Tx interfering with the r/c Rx.

Only one way to tell for sure I guess and that's to test it out. Bruce has been flying with this gear on an axn, so he probably has something to add about how well his set-up works.
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby rogueqd » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:03 pm

I got an RCA cable from the $2 shop. After a bit of fiddling with the channels I got a picture on my TV! Woohoo!

Paul is right, the lens that comes with the camera is pretty crappy. Luckily my 92 degree lens had already arrived so I put that on and focused it, remembering not to screw it in all the way and squish the ccd sensor.

I was walking around my unit trying to do what little range testing I could with the Rx attached to the telly, and went outside to the balcony. I got quite a surprise! The night vision on this camera isn't too bad! I don't know if you could actually fly at night with it, but even that it looked like you might be able to was pretty impressive imho.

I ordered the goggles today, so I'm hoping to have my first flight by the end of the month. :D
rogueqd

Postby rogueqd » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:10 pm

My head tracker arrived yesterday. I got t working with my 9x bit I still have to wire it in properly. I've ordered a pair of CP antennas from Truerc in Canada and my goggles have been shipped from bevrc. Won't be long now...
rogueqd

Postby rogueqd » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:45 pm

The goggles have arrived. I've successfully tested the Hobbyking 5.8Ghz 200mw video setup to 1km with the stock antennas in a ground test. The picture was great as long as we didn't block the line of sight with our bodies, so another test at 1.5 and 2km is planned. Tested the FrSky receiver at the same time, again no problems at 1km. My Remzibi OSD is still in the post.

We're going to have the first FPV flight this weekend with me flying the plane as normal and my wife wearing the goggles. I expect everything will go well as I lose sight of the plane at about 350m so the video will be well within range.
rogueqd

Return to FPV