Wireless Training for JR with FrSky

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Wireless Training for JR with FrSky

Postby biggestgerbil » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:09 pm

Hi FrSky Fans :)

Upon the recommendation of Bruce and my local BMFA Area Chief Examiner I have taken to using FrSky. It seems very good. However, I would like to dispense with my buddy lead as in FrSky's Futaba rig.

I use a JR 8310ADT as master and a 388s as pupil. I do quite a lot of training with tyro pilots and the wireless option seems tempting. I have e-mailed FrSky but received no reply and left posts on Giant Cod's website but to no avail.

I am not a techie whiz kid and barley understand the Futaba hook up so I need HELP!! :oops:

Cheers

BG
biggestgerbil

Re: Wireless Training for JR with FrSky

Postby ergocentric » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:28 pm

Some FRSKY receivers offer PPM out, feed that in to the trainer port of your instructor radio, and bind it to your student transmitter.
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Postby biggestgerbil » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:38 pm

ergocentric wrote:Some FRSKY receivers offer PPM out, feed that in to the trainer port of your instructor radio, and bind it to your student transmitter.

Hi Ergo and thanks for the reply, but I don't understand how it all works. The Futaba set has a separate "pin" for PPM and + & - connections. The JR set has only a mini-jack mono connector, so everything is on only two wires. How does that work?

BG :?
biggestgerbil

Postby grummangoose » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:24 pm

biggestgerbil wrote:Hi FrSky Fans :)

Upon the recommendation of Bruce and my local BMFA Area Chief Examiner I have taken to using FrSky. It seems very good. However, I would like to dispense with my buddy lead as in FrSky's Futaba rig.

I use a JR 8310ADT as master and a 388s as pupil. I do quite a lot of training with tyro pilots and the wireless option seems tempting. I have e-mailed FrSky but received no reply and left posts on Giant Cod's website but to no avail.

I am not a techie whiz kid and barley understand the Futaba hook up so I need HELP!! :oops:

Cheers

BG

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with the JR setup for wireless. Dispensing with the lead is a definite advantage, I forever trip over them. Have rigged up my Futaba 8FGs with the TFRSP from FrSky and it works very well indeed (see photo).
m_frskywless.jpg
FrSky Pic
m_frskywless.jpg (44.16 KiB) Viewed 15504 times
grummangoose

Postby biggestgerbil » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:52 am

grummangoose wrote:

Cheers

BG

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with the JR setup for wireless. Dispensing with the lead is a definite advantage, I forever trip over them. Have rigged up my Futaba 8FGs with the TFRSP from FrSky and it works very well indeed (see photo).
m_frskywless.jpg

Yes, but where does the TV remote come in? ;)
biggestgerbil

Postby ergocentric » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:20 pm

biggestgerbil wrote: The JR set has only a mini-jack mono connector, so everything is on only two wires. How does that work?

BG :?

http://users.belgacom.net/TX2TX/

loads of reading
insert JR where it says Graupner
ergocentric

Postby grummangoose » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:59 pm

biggestgerbil wrote:
grummangoose wrote:

Cheers

BG

m_frskywless.jpg

Yes, but where does the TV remote come in? ;)

That's so that I can "channel hop" :lol:
grummangoose

Postby biggestgerbil » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:27 pm

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your help on this forum. Between you and the Giant Cod forum members I have finally cracked it.

See http://shropshireflying.wordpress.com/ for how.

My solution is not too elegant but I am working on that. The thing is, it works. I have ordered an AAA 4.8v flight pack to power it but I need to figure a method to power it from the Tx battery without interfering with the Tx function.

My brain hurts.

BG
biggestgerbil

Postby Fly2High » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:22 pm

If I recall, don't the Rx only draw about 30-100mAh?

If this is the case, you could power it with a 2S or maybe a 1S LiPO at like 200-400 mAh and get 2 - 4 or more hours of flying. Plus, those LiPos are rather small and lightweight.

I like the wireless idea for training. Will this only work Jr to Jr or Fuytaba to Futaba?

I am not fond of cutting holes in my Tx so the external battery is reasonable. Too bad the module doesn't offer a DC power connector for this purpose on the Jr Module. Hmmmm could cut a hole in that and wire in power from there????

Might not be a reasonable compromise.....

Best of luck. Let us know how you work this out.
Fly2High

Postby ergocentric » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:29 pm

Fly2High wrote:If I recall, don't the Rx only draw about 30-100mAh?

If this is the case, you could power it with a 2S or maybe a 1S LiPO at like 200-400 mAh and get 2 - 4 or more hours of flying. Plus, those LiPos are rather small and lightweight.

I like the wireless idea for training. Will this only work Jr to Jr or Fuytaba to Futaba?

I am not fond of cutting holes in my Tx so the external battery is reasonable. Too bad the module doesn't offer a DC power connector for this purpose on the Jr Module. Hmmmm could cut a hole in that and wire in power from there????

Might not be a reasonable compromise.....

Best of luck. Let us know how you work this out.

IF the charge jack doesn't disconnect the tx from battery in some way (possibly a diode or switch in the jack) you could obtain power for you receiver there and you would only need a tiny voltage regulator for 100mA (I would test that with a meter first)
ergocentric

Next

Return to Radios and Servos