Best Transmitter 9 Channel

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Best Transmitter 9 Channel

Postby Shaz_nz » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:43 am

Hi All, What is the best Tx for planes/Heli ??? I know you some people fly with Turnigy 9X and i see some people Futaba JR etc. I have had DX7 & DSX9 and looking for a new Tx so far i'm looking at JR-XG8 , Futaba 8FG or Spektrum DX8

just would like a video/Help your thoughts. As i see that some people now have a thing about Spektrum, and some bad units around

Shannon
Shaz_nz

Re: Best Transmitter 9 Channel

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:21 am

The Hitec Aurora 9, Turnigy 9X and Spektrum DX8 are on my testbench right now. In fact I took a few minutes off to check the forums while in the middle of that testing.

I'll be publishing my results and some videos to the RCModelReview YouTube channel next week.

It should help you make your decision.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with an 8FG and Futaba have never responded to my emails so I don't have one to compare.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Sid Sideslip » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:28 am

Good on ya Bruce.

Must say, I'm having a s**tload of fun with the Turnigy 9x (with the FrSky kit and all the FW stuff and other mods) and I don't even have one yet!

That may change if I get a lemon from HobbyKing of course. ;-)
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby CaLviNx » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:54 pm

For me (im biased sorry) the best 9 channel radio is my Futaba 9CHP with a FrSky 2.4 conversion module and the 7 channel FrSky PPM receiver.

In my opinion this combination has been operating flawlessly, im running mainly quadcopters now, my Align T-rex600 has not seen flight time in a while, and the model memories on my 9CHP have been a godsend with having just more than a few quad copter airframes.

Regards

Mark
Its better to remain silent & and only be "thought" a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt......
CaLviNx

Postby Rob2160 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:24 am

Hi Shannon,

I will add my 2 cents worth... I own a Futaba 8FG, 2 Spektrum DX8s and 2 JR11Xs.

I like them all and fly with them all equally.

8FG

Pros - Excellent smooth Ball Bearing Gimbals. Mature firmware (IE No bugs) Lightweight, excellent battery life, very simple programming for helis, and some advanced features that simplify this over the other two radios. Excellent real world range

Cons - expensive receivers, not compatible with any of the Parkzone or E-Flite BNF aircraft or Helicopters (and I have many of these)

DX8

Pros -Super Ergonomics, the best overall feel in my opinion. Super silky Ball Bearing Gimbal. Now with DSMX which from Bruce's review is good stuff. Works great with any BNF aircraft or heli from E-Flite or Parkzone, excellent real world range, same as Futaba 8FG

Cons - one of mine had the Gimbal recall, still a few bugs in the firmware.

JR11X

Pros - It looks like a Cylon (the only reason I bought it) but seriously, unique looks, DSMX as per the DX8 so also compatible with BNF Aircraft and Helis, Nice bearing gimbals, but not as silky smooth as the DX8 or 8FG. Outstanding radio range in real world distance testing, about 20% more than the Futaba and DX8. Firmware appears mature.. No known bugs that I am aware of.

Cons - Expensive, very heavy,

Here are a couple of vids..

1. Gimbal issue in the DX8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvFMQ8pOPrk

2. Firmware bugs in DX8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm5uZHXZS2o

3. DX8 and 8FG side by side http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBGEDBL5JXQ

4. JR11X, DX8 and 8FG side by side http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IEIpitzMdk
Rob2160

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:32 am

Another "con" for the JR11X is that the sliders have been moved from the side of the case to the back of the case -- which means you can no longer operate them without taking your fingers/thumbs off the sticks - duh!

On the 9303/9XII the sliders were in the perfect place - then they went and stuffed them up with the 11X - why????
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Sid Sideslip » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:01 pm

Time to make a simple mod for the 9x with a pair of (switch selectable) sliders, mounted at the dips where your index fingers lie and Bob's your uncle.

Unless he's had a vasectomy, in which case he's your aunty.
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby Oops » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:20 pm

Could someone explain why the 9x is mentioned here despite having 8 channels ;-) Even the installed FrSky has 8 as far as I can determine. I would love to have the extra channel, and an extra one, and ....

If you are new to this and looking for a transmitter, don't hold back on channels.
Oops

Postby BB-Q » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:22 am

Since the latest firmware update I've got absolutely no complaints about the 8FG. The only problem with it before was that it was a bit of a pain to select the model, but the v4.1 update puts the selection of your four favourite models on a screen shortcut as you power up the tx.

I've also yet to find anything it won't do with regard to options/flexibility. Admittedly I don't fly 8 servo-wing gliders, but it seems to have that covered too!

Also bear in mind that it's a 14 channel, not an 8 or 9 channel, for 8 channel money. I paid £250 for mine.
BB-Q

Postby ergocentric » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:39 pm

Oops wrote:Could someone explain why the 9x is mentioned here despite having 8 channels...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Futaba no longer makes a nine channel receiver, as BB-Q inferred - you would need a 14 channel receiver.

(I don't think Futaba ever made a nine channel system that was not PCM, and that set-up dates back twenty years to the 9z, nice but heavy tx)
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Next

Return to Radios and Servos