What RC system do you use?

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

What is your main RC system?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:52 am

Futaba
26%
JR
11%
Hitec
13%
Spektrum
26%
Airtronics
2%
FlySky/Turnigy/iMax
15%
WFly
No votes
Multiplex
2%
HobbyKing
No votes
Other (specify)
4%

Total votes : 46

Re: What RC system do you use?

Postby quarry44 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:26 pm

Must be a BIG turkey,taking a week to cook :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I have always used Futaba gear,right back to my father's first single button tx in the 60's!My own 1st one was a 2 ch.Medallion,used in 1/8th scale racing cars in the late 70's.
My current status is 2x4nbl,1x5nlh,1xff7,1x7c,and an odd hitec 2ch I use for boats.Only bought it 'cause it was dirt cheap.The 5nlh and 7c have been converted to Frsky 2.4.I won't be buying anymore 35 or 40 mhz rx's.I can buy the Frsky module + rx for less than a new Futaba rx.
The only thing I would be tempted to buy is the Turnigy/Flysky 9c,seeing the glowing reports on this forum.But I'm waiting to see if they increase quality control.I'm a bit wary of the dodgy screen issue.
quarry44

Postby Sid Sideslip » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:03 pm

Guy at the club lost a model during the week due to Spektrum DX8 and DSM2 (he has since sent it back to be converted to DSMX). He was the same guy who got chewed up badly by his prop with a failsafe binding issue with a Spektrum DX7 (the one where, if you set your model up and then notice the throttle is reversed, not doing a proper rebind and fail safe setting of the throttle means you are an accident waiting to happen).
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby biggestgerbil » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:58 pm

ergocentric wrote:
biggestgerbil wrote:I have two JR transmitters. A 3810ADT with a FrSky telemetry module and a 388s with a FrSky non-telemetry module. I would dearly love to make then into a wireless trainer system, but have no idea how to do it. No one seems to know how to do it (JR have the mini-jack mono socket for trainer etc) :cry:

I'll get back to this next week, going to the in-laws' to cook a turkey...

Hi Ergo

I think I have figured this out at last. (In fairness, with the help of Giant Cod customers on the Giant Cod forum)

The coax cable and mono plugs that connect JR transmitter training sockets only carry a ppm signal. The 3.5mm sockets have a built in switch that turns on the computer side of things, but not the RF, when you plug the jacks in. I have been told that I need to reverse the polarity on the jack to fit to the ppm socket on the FrSky receiver but I will experiment with that. Then it's just a matter of getting power to the receiver; 4 AAA batteries taped to the receiver, maybe?

BG
biggestgerbil

Postby ergocentric » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:38 am

quarry44 wrote:Must be a BIG turkey,taking a week to cook :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The vile insurance bill came along with a request for inspection of said premises, had to negotiate this with the tenants instead of pursuing my hobbies.
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Postby ergocentric » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:45 am

biggestgerbil wrote:
ergocentric wrote:
biggestgerbil wrote:I have two JR transmitters. A 3810ADT with a FrSky telemetry module and a 388s with a FrSky non-telemetry module. I would dearly love to make then into a wireless trainer system, but have no idea how to do it. No one seems to know how to do it (JR have the mini-jack mono socket for trainer etc) :cry:

I'll get back to this next week, going to the in-laws' to cook a turkey...

Hi Ergo

I think I have figured this out at last. (In fairness, with the help of Giant Cod customers on the Giant Cod forum)

The coax cable and mono plugs that connect JR transmitter training sockets only carry a ppm signal. The 3.5mm sockets have a built in switch that turns on the computer side of things, but not the RF, when you plug the jacks in. I have been told that I need to reverse the polarity on the jack to fit to the ppm socket on the FrSky receiver but I will experiment with that. Then it's just a matter of getting power to the receiver; 4 AAA batteries taped to the receiver, maybe?

BG

um, reverse polarity or invert the signal? I thought JR was inverted PPM signal (one transistor as opposed to swapping the wires)
http://users.belgacom.net/TX2TX/tx2tx/e ... 2txgb2.htm
ergocentric

Postby ergocentric » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:47 am

Assuming you have PPM out from your receiver, if I need to look it up it will take a while.
ergocentric

Postby biggestgerbil » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:41 pm

Hi Ergo

I must thank you for your input to this. I have to tell you that I have at last cracked it.

Please see http://shropshireflying.wordpress.com/ for details.

Thanks again for your help.

BG
biggestgerbil

Postby disco stu » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:14 am

biggestgerbil wrote:Hi Ergo

I must thank you for your input to this. I have to tell you that I have at last cracked it.

Please see http://shropshireflying.wordpress.com/ for details.

Thanks again for your help.

BG

Just so you know, I did the same as you but I powered the Rx off a little 1s lipo rather than 4AAA.
disco stu

Postby aeajr » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:21 pm

This becomes an interesting question.

I have 2 Futaba 9C super Radios - So I would answer Futaba.

BUT - One of them uses a Spektrum 2.4 module and I have as many Spektrum receivers as others. So I Spektrum the right answer?

Next time you run this pole you may have to say Which radio do you use. Which RF system do you use with that radio?

For example

Futaba/72 MHz?
Futaba/35 MHz?
Futaba/Hitec 72 Synth?
Futaba/FASST
Futaba/FHSS
Futaba/Spektrum
Futaba/FrSky
Futaba ????

The choice of radio and the choice of RF system are not necessarily tied together as they once were.
aeajr

Postby Hallmark » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:41 pm

I have a Futaba 10CG with the 6208SB Rx.

On that topic I am about to buy the E-Flite Scimitar Carbon-Z and will need some help setting up the radio. Has anyone got a 10CG with this already done and can send me the file?

I will be eternally grateful...

HMk
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Previous

Return to Radios and Servos