Wireless Training for JR with FrSky

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Re: Wireless Training for JR with FrSky

Postby Fly2High » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:10 pm

I was only thinking of the module because I figured it ws regulated already to either 3.3 or 5 volts, I would think. Either might be enough to operate the Rx. There would be no need for a regulator but I do like your idea of using the charging jack too. Then again, a fully charged NiMH 8 cell is about 11 volts. Can the rx take that directly? it would be perfect to use a high voltage Rx and just pump that in directly.

I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat...

Looking forward to your final solution,
Frank
Fly2High

Postby Shotglass » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:05 pm

we use these for our wireless trainer setup:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _Pack.html
cheap safe (lifepo) and it already comes with the correct plug

also fits easily into the storage compartments in a transmitter tray
Shotglass

Postby biggestgerbil » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:33 am

Fly2High wrote:I like the wireless idea for training. Will this only work Jr to Jr or Futaba to Futaba?

If one or the other transmitter has assignable channels then it is not a problem, however JR and Futaba assign different channels to the primary flight controls. JR use 1,Throttle 2, Ailerons 3, Elevator and 4, Rudder... while Futaba (and Hi-Tech) use 1, Aileron 2, Elevator 3,Throttle 4, Rudder The landing gear switch is on 5 on both.

So if you mix systems then you have problems with matching the receiver inputs as it is the transmitter that determines where on the receiver you plug your servos.

BG
biggestgerbil

Postby biggestgerbil » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:44 am

The FrSky V8R7-SP with cppm output is OK up to 16v so should handle the 9.6v (nominal) transmitter battery. For now I am going with a small AAA 4.8v flight pack while I work on it. I am going to see if I can use a stereo 3.5mm jack, send the CPPM down the tip and the power down the middle and use a common ground. I am very afraid of releasing the smoke from either the Tx or Rx.
First job is to ascertain if I can mount a 3.5mm STEREO jack socket in my JR transmitter. On with the motley...

BG :ugeek: :?:
biggestgerbil

Postby grummangoose » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:26 pm

biggestgerbil wrote:The FrSky V8R7-SP with cppm output is OK up to 16v so should handle the 9.6v (nominal) transmitter battery. For now I am going with a small AAA 4.8v flight pack while I work on it. I am going to see if I can use a stereo 3.5mm jack, send the CPPM down the tip and the power down the middle and use a common ground. I am very afraid of releasing the smoke from either the Tx or Rx.
First job is to ascertain if I can mount a 3.5mm STEREO jack socket in my JR transmitter. On with the motley...

BG :ugeek: :?:

I noticed this on HK website the other day http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ller_.html
Cannot vouch for this system but may be worth a look. Apparently you need to make up some leads and the airframe will need 2 rx's but any combination of TX - RX can be used.
Attachments
dualrxcontroller-sub1(1).jpg
dual rx buddy
dualrxcontroller-sub1(1).jpg (65.38 KiB) Viewed 9950 times
grummangoose

Postby Allan Warner » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:35 pm

Tried these and they work OK. Spektrum AR600 and FrSky compatible Futaba FASST Rx. Power is common therefore only need one power feed to each Rx. Just need the signal connections from each Rx on the other channels. Saves a lot of connectors, wire and more importantly SPACE. It also deals with the channel assignment issue (as I proved with my set up) by suitable alteration of the signal feed wires from each Rx.
HTH
Allan Warner

Postby disco stu » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:44 am

Maybe I should weigh in here. I havn't read all the replies so far, bit busy, but I'm using a V8R7sp for wireless setup with JR master, Turnigy 9x student

I'm using a little 1s lipo for powering it without issue. I was keen to get a 5v power out from the Rx, but was too much effort for the time I had while setting it up. It draws bugger all, so the little lipo is fine for a few sessions it seems.

I just put a servo plug on the PPM out socket and wired it in to the trainer cable jack. By pure chance I got the wiring the right way around first go, but have been informed that it doesn't matter if you get it wrong way around. I used the signal and -ve pins from the PPM out from memory. I will check and report back if I'm wrong

One thing I found is that the servo resolution is a bit lower with this setup
disco stu

Previous

Return to Radios and Servos